106 posts in this topic

Posted

[b]Tweaks We Expect (And Hope) To See From Windows 8 Service Pack 1[/b]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, sans-serif]Alright, haters. Judging by many of the comments left on this week

Posted

Yawn
6 people like this

Posted

Gotta love the insulting tone :rolleyes:
4 people like this

Posted

I really don't see anything new being added, just security updates. This notion that Microsoft has to change or add things with a service pack is rare. Only time I can recall is Windows XP SP2.
1 person likes this

Posted

There will be no SP for Windows 8.
6 people like this

Posted

Microsoft is doing away with Service Packs, and even if there is one it will just be an update rollup. Good thing too because Windows 8 is fine as it is.
6 people like this

Posted

Windows 8 is taking a stab at Android and iOS and sees to the reason why these two have become so popular in such a relatively short time, out of nothing. The answer for that would be - simplicity. Do these two platforms allow for much individualization? No, they don't. No, Android doesn't, even though it's arguably the best for it, if you want to try. Or pretend to be doing so, at least.

As such Windows 8 doesn't even attempt at being more tinker-friendly. And it doesn't need to. Exactly the opposite - it wants to be as streamlined (yes, that meaning of streamlined) as possible. It is the new meaning of user-friendly.

And seeing the developments lately, I'm inclined that it will very much succeed in doing so.
2 people like this

Posted

I thought there weren't going to be anymore service packs? Just incremental upgrades since everything is an app. Anyway, better apps are coming. It's a new architecture. Developers still haven't mastered 64-bit programming for goodness sake. The dearth of high quality apps is definitely the biggest absence but they will come.

The only glaring omission IMO is a media management app that makes device and playlist management as easy and intuitive as iTunes. XBOX Music just doesn't cut the mustard. It's clumsy and forget about playlist management. A desktop mode, like XP mode for Windows 7 would be nice. To run desktop apps transparently without launching the full desktop, just the app.

Edit: Just have to take every opportunity to say the Surface is just marvelous. Once you have one, you understand why MS had to add Metro for Tablets, and you can begin to appreciate how difficult it must have been while maintaining backwards compatibility without compromising the tablet experience. It'll only get better. But what a great piece of hardware and software engineering. Windows itself with it's compatibility across a multitude of hardware is in and of itself one of the greatest engineering feats of the century IMO.

Posted

[quote name='Javik' timestamp='1351962620' post='595294359']
Gotta love the insulting tone :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Funny how people who don't like what they read consider it insulting. :rolleyes:
2 people like this

Posted

stupid topic, the 8 just came out...

Posted

[quote name='mkol' timestamp='1351963084' post='595294389']
[/quote]
No, it didn't. The world has experienced Windows 8 in its current state (save little tidbits of exact functionality) for about a year.

Posted

As a Windows 8, desktop user, I must say that the interface is no longer intuative and I does take a lot more mouse movement which isnt great for my RSI.
Im liking 8 but if the Explorer features and other new options had been added to a Win 7 interace then I would be loving it.
I think thats the thing with Win 8, you dont hate it, but you dont love it, and MS could have changed that - its just a bit of a shame.
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='mkol' timestamp='1351963084' post='595294389']
[/quote]Complaining about lack of apps at this point is not justified, but otherwise, millions have been using 8 for a while now, RT is out, and MS is already working on fixes, patches, updates, and Windows 9. So in general it's not stupid IMO.

Posted

What we get from the Win XP, Vista or Win 7 servicepacks? A lot... but big changes in the GUI or functionality?
Maybe Win 9, but not in a SP (if we ever get one for Win 8)

Posted

[quote name='Enron' timestamp='1351962777' post='595294367']
There will be no SP for Windows 8.
[/quote]

This was pretty much already confirmed...

Posted

All I want is Window 7 SP2!!!
1 person likes this

Posted

Stopped reading at "bring back the start button". How did I know that'd be in there?

As has probably been said many times before...Windows 8 already has a start button, 2 actually.
3 people like this

Posted

[quote name='SharpGreen' timestamp='1351965002' post='595294451']
Stopped reading at "bring back the start button". How did I know that'd be in there?

As has probably been said many times before...Windows 8 already has a start button, 2 actually.
[/quote]
Actually..... yes, it does :p

Posted

I'm really happy with Windows 8, but my main complaint, and what I really want to see in an update (which will probably not be in 2014 BTW, there will probably be a major update next year) is much better multi-monitor support. Assuming I have the RAM to run them, I should have no restrictions on running Metro apps on both screens, including snapped apps.

Posted

The real start menu please, and alow me to use modern UI (metro)if I want to, when I want to. Simple let me hold down windows key for 5 seconds to use modern interface. Yes I don't own a touch screen monitor.

Posted

[quote name='blade1269' timestamp='1351966859' post='595294481']
The real start menu please, and alow me to use modern UI (metro)if I want to, when I want to. Simple let me hold down windows key for 5 seconds to use modern interface. Yes I don't own a touch screen monitor.
[/quote]

I don't own one either, and yet somehow I have a real start menu.

I press the WinKey or go to the bottom left and click. This opens my personalized screen. From there I just go to 'all apps' and there is the full start menu with everything present.

Posted

what a load of garbage
2 people like this

Posted

Why do I get the feeling that the author clearly knows Microsoft will do none of these?
Maybe it's the suggestion that Microsoft reverse explicit design decisions...

Microsoft took a risk with Windows 8. They laid down the challenge: "Try it. If you don't like it, you don't buy it." They aren't going to 'fix' anything in a service pack (except bugs). They are going to lose sales, but they are fully committed to this Metro idea and aware of what it means.
1 person likes this

Posted

I agree completely with the article, my biggest problem with windows 8 is that it's a solid evidence for how "modern UI" and computing is going in the direction of dumbing down everything for the sake of making it simple. A good UI, IMO, is the one that achieves the balance between having too much options (like most of linux DEs) and providing too basic options and restricting customization. (like Metro/Modern UI).

Compared to mobile interfaces Windows 8 has pretty good amount of options (on the "Modern UI" side) but on a desktop it's absolutely pathetic; you can't use custom titles backgrounds without hacks for example. Imagine having to use an external application and various hacks to edit a shortcut icon. That's how limiting windows 8 interface is, and if this is the future, then the future of computing is quite bleak.

Posted

I find it really annoying when Neowin members insult each others opinions and feedback. Knocking somebody's views doesn't change anything, it just stops them posting, which in the end creates a forum where people don't bother any more.

If you think somebody is misguided then why not point them in the right direction, give them a bit of your wisdom - don't just insult or try to make them look stupid, you only end up making yourself look ignorant or having a set agenda.

I hope MS takes the feedback from Win 8 and continues to add to it in order to make it better than the copetition.