Windows 8 SP1: What We Hope To See

I think they could make a few small changes that would help a lot. I would like to be able to hit escape to close an app.

I don't think that would ever happen. To easy to accidentally hit ESC. Maybe ctrl-ESC or something, but ESC alone, doubtful and rightly so. You could handle it, but many could not, lol.

I think they could make a few small changes that would help a lot. I would like to be able to hit escape to close an app.

That is a horrible idea. Escape is a frequently used button for navigating menus in many programs.

That is a horrible idea. Escape is a frequently used button for navigating menus in many programs.

I know, I use it a lot and I would feel comfortable using Metro like that too.

There will be no SP for Windows 8.

Damnit I read that in the Illusive Mans voice.

XBOX Movies with greater support for tagged files, The recent update lets it pull the release year form the files metadata doing the same for genre while allowing the files to be grouped by metadata properties instead of just a to z would be good and a right click > synopsis metadata viewer would be even better.

Oh and timed text subtitle support

How did you get those to appear? I have my videos on an external harddrive, they're in my Video Library but the metro app can't find them.

J0Wxh.jpg

the new features will be added in the next version of Windows... Service Packs are just update rollups now anyways. and i keep reading there won't be an SP1, which kind of sucks even if it is just updates, makes it easier to update that way.

what you would like to see in Windows 8 SP1 is a dream scenario.

They need to allow a boot to desktop and start menu function for users who operate strictly as a local machine login.. with a metro option of course... if you choose a Ms account login then metro is default... without this Win 8 will be a failure

They are going to need to do something.. so far roughly 80% of my customers have a negative reaction to win 8 ... refuse to buy the new systems... or look for one with windows 7 on it...we will see if that improves, but it's doubtful..

Of the 20 % who didn't reject it almost half have had issues after getting home and several have just returned the machines..

There will be no SP for Windows 8.

+1 Microsoft has already said there will be no SP1 ... They will be coming out with Windows 9. Microsoft's goal is to start releasing an operating system upgrade yearly. Like Apple does.

Damnit I read that in the Illusive Mans voice.

How did you get those to appear? I have my videos on an external harddrive, they're in my Video Library but the metro app can't find them

It depends on windows indexing if they are stored on a windows server you can add them to the library on other computers using a network share.

Make sure your drive is added in indexing options & the NTFS permissions for indexing are set ie SYSTEM has full control.

The most obvious solution is treating Metro the way it was meant to be designed: as a supplement to the ?core? Windows 7 operating system rather than a botched attempt at a primary UI.

Couple things. Ignoring the fact that there WON'T be a service pack for Windows 8, this paragraph needs attention. Windows 8 IS Metro. IS. METRO. Windows 8 is not your daddy's Windows. The so-called "core Windows 7 OS" is there as a secondary. Any tech blogger should have known this by now.

Second. What's with the condescending attitude?

Lastly, the OP seems to forget what a service pack really is...

Why Metro doesn?t talk to Windows 8?s Desktop Mode, and why Windows 8?s Desktop Mode doesn?t talk to Metro, we?ll never know.

Actually, we do know. Different API sets. Damn, that was too hard to figure out.

Going off what I was observing in PC World earlier, that man in the video summed up exactly what's going on when real people first try to use Windows 8. PC World / Currys staff received two months training and should be doing more to help.

The see Metro it looks foreign and might not give it a second chance, they see OS X and they see something that is more familiar.

<snip>

Well, this poster fails to realise that the article I posted is from MaximumPC, and NOT. NOT. NOT written by me!

Since I was the OP for the article on here, that makes me the OP. If you have such a problem with the article's author, then go and post your gripe to the article on MaximumPC.

Since I was the OP for the article on here, that makes me the OP. If you have such a problem with the article's author, then go and post your gripe to the article on MaximumPC.

Dude, you're creating a problem where there Isn't one. OP =/ you.

Honestly, what I'd like to see in Windows 8 SP1....is an actual SP1. I don't agree with what Microsoft is planning now. I think Windows 7 post-SP1 is nearing 100 updates, if it hasn't reached that already. Who likes installing that many updates on a clean install? I sure don't. Nothing wrong with service packs.

We all prefer Service Packs. Its easier to make a clean install and faster so we dont wait for the downloads and install of missing updates.

Or just release updated Windows 8 version so anyone can download in their native language and just insert the serial key. Install in PEN Drives or just the .ISO to burn on DVD.

Windows really need a better system on their OS, we can still use a 10 year old SO system. We need better and easier ways to install Windows easier with a nice clean install.

As a Windows 8, desktop user, I must say that the interface is no longer intuative and I does take a lot more mouse movement which isnt great for my RSI.

Im liking 8 but if the Explorer features and other new options had been added to a Win 7 interace then I would be loving it.

I think thats the thing with Win 8, you dont hate it, but you dont love it, and MS could have changed that - its just a bit of a shame.

If you have RSI, you shouldn't be using a mouse at all. Trackpad, Wacom Tablet, and other devices (depending on your injury) are far more ergonomic.

Even a simplistic keyboard setup, because you do realize you can fully control the new Start Screen and Windows Store Apps with the Windows Key, Menu Key, ESC, TAB, Enter, and the 4 Arrow keys. (Unlike the desktop that requires a variety of Alt based shortcuts and conventions.)

In general, Windows 8 added more keyboard shortcuts to the entire OS than any previous version of Windows since 95.

I truly have to disagree that there is 'more work' or 'more movement' require to operate Windows 8. We specifically moved several employees with carpal tunnel to Windows 8 because it was easier for them. Of course we don't force them to use a mouse, we give them trackpads, or trackballs, or pen digitizers depending on their doctor's recommendation.

(This is area we could really go into because we have people with limited use of their hands that use simplistic pointing devices and the onscreen keyboard. For them the new Windows 8 Start Screen and Windows Store Apps are a godsend.)

With Windows 8 for a mouse or pointing device, there basically two concepts to learn, corners, and scroll wheel/region. Once you get there, understanding right click and how the items on the charms bar work and the drag and drop gestures to arrange non-desktop Apps. There is a reason video are posted on Youtube of 2 and 3 year old children using it, and some for the first time.

Windows 8 added a clean distinction between desktop and the new App ecosystem; which is why it is surprising to see articles like this with such a clueless perspective and an ego combined with intimidation that is still creating confusion for the author.

Windows 8 is not complex or hard and it doesn't limit or remove any features people had in Windows 7. If people jump out of the security of their 'box' and allow for a moment that they don't have all the answers, they adapt rather quickly and actually like Windows 8.

Several years from now, articles and posts like this will be fun to go back and read and funny. It is like going back and reading old articles and posts about virtually every previous version of Windows. Articles of doom and people swearing they would never use them.

Sadly many of these same 'tech' writers are the ones still working at ZD/CNet and other publications and write the same stuff they wrote 20 years ago about NT or Win95 and are technically just as clueless as they were then.. I sometimes wonder if they have a Word template for a new Windows release, and just replace the reasons they hate it and change the name and publish it.

You do realizes the guy in the video is acting, right?

Anyway, I like Windows 8 like it is, since it's also a mobile OS, I'm expecting an big update like WP Mango for Windows 8, and it seems that's coming under the codename Windows Blue (a while ago leaked out). Anyway, none of the above features need to be include since that's nonsense. The things about tiles, etc. are things that need to be include in the installer, and so, they are not Microsofts problem.