Posted 03 November 2012 - 17:44

All I want is Window 7 SP2!!!

#17 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• 2,466 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 03 November 2012 - 17:50

Stopped reading at "bring back the start button". How did I know that'd be in there?

As has probably been said many times before...Windows 8 already has a start button, 2 actually.

#18 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• 3,932 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 18:01

Stopped reading at "bring back the start button". How did I know that'd be in there?

As has probably been said many times before...Windows 8 already has a start button, 2 actually.

Actually..... yes, it does :p

#19 Steelyuhas

Steelyuhas

Neowinian

• 38 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 18:03

I'm really happy with Windows 8, but my main complaint, and what I really want to see in an update (which will probably not be in 2014 BTW, there will probably be a major update next year) is much better multi-monitor support. Assuming I have the RAM to run them, I should have no restrictions on running Metro apps on both screens, including snapped apps.

#20 blade1269

blade1269

Jesus Saved me! A Christian!

• 1,725 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 18:20

The real start menu please, and alow me to use modern UI (metro)if I want to, when I want to. Simple let me hold down windows key for 5 seconds to use modern interface. Yes I don't own a touch screen monitor.

#21 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 18:25

The real start menu please, and alow me to use modern UI (metro)if I want to, when I want to. Simple let me hold down windows key for 5 seconds to use modern interface. Yes I don't own a touch screen monitor.

I don't own one either, and yet somehow I have a real start menu.

I press the WinKey or go to the bottom left and click. This opens my personalized screen. From there I just go to 'all apps' and there is the full start menu with everything present.

#22 Knive Party

Knive Party

To Death

• 5,334 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 18:29

what a load of garbage

#23 billyea

billyea

Your Two Cents

• 2,054 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 18:49

Why do I get the feeling that the author clearly knows Microsoft will do none of these?
Maybe it's the suggestion that Microsoft reverse explicit design decisions...

Microsoft took a risk with Windows 8. They laid down the challenge: "Try it. If you don't like it, you don't buy it." They aren't going to 'fix' anything in a service pack (except bugs). They are going to lose sales, but they are fully committed to this Metro idea and aware of what it means.

#24 Mamoun

Mamoun

Neowinian

• 390 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 18:52

I agree completely with the article, my biggest problem with windows 8 is that it's a solid evidence for how "modern UI" and computing is going in the direction of dumbing down everything for the sake of making it simple. A good UI, IMO, is the one that achieves the balance between having too much options (like most of linux DEs) and providing too basic options and restricting customization. (like Metro/Modern UI).

Compared to mobile interfaces Windows 8 has pretty good amount of options (on the "Modern UI" side) but on a desktop it's absolutely pathetic; you can't use custom titles backgrounds without hacks for example. Imagine having to use an external application and various hacks to edit a shortcut icon. That's how limiting windows 8 interface is, and if this is the future, then the future of computing is quite bleak.

#25 Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

• 3,087 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 18:55

I find it really annoying when Neowin members insult each others opinions and feedback. Knocking somebody's views doesn't change anything, it just stops them posting, which in the end creates a forum where people don't bother any more.

If you think somebody is misguided then why not point them in the right direction, give them a bit of your wisdom - don't just insult or try to make them look stupid, you only end up making yourself look ignorant or having a set agenda.

I hope MS takes the feedback from Win 8 and continues to add to it in order to make it better than the copetition.

#26 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 18:55

I agree completely with the article, my biggest problem with windows 8 is that it's a solid evidence for how "modern UI" and computing is going in the direction of dumbing down everything for the sake of making it simple. A good UI, IMO, is the one that achieves the balance between having too much options (like most of linux DEs) and providing too basic options and restricting customization. (like Metro/Modern UI).

Compared to mobile interfaces Windows 8 has pretty good amount of options (on the "Modern UI" side) but on a desktop it's absolutely pathetic; you can't use custom titles backgrounds without hacks for example. Imagine having to use an external application and various hacks to edit a shortcut icon. That's how limiting windows 8 interface is, and if this is the future, then the future of computing is quite bleak.

Wait what?

You can do everything on 8 that you can do in 7, and even more.

Have you even used 8?

#27 scratch42069

scratch42069

Neowinian

• 985 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 18:56

All I want is some more apps and bug fixes.

#28 Mamoun

Mamoun

Neowinian

• 390 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 19:04

Wait what?

You can do everything on 8 that you can do in 7, and even more.

Have you even used 8?

Yes, I have used it. I meant Modern UI of windows 8. Which, obviously, is going to be the UI that Microsoft continues developing in the future much more than the legacy desktop. Windows 8 Modern UI indicates the direction microsoft is taking for UI, the fact that desktop is still there doesn't change anything about it.

#29 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 4,016 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 03 November 2012 - 19:10

I like Windows 8, Modern Apps, and Surface. But I won't insult the intelligence of experienced users who have long, well organized, efficient Start menus in Windows 7.

For that type of usage, Windows 8 is clumsy and inefficient. It's no secret Metro does not handle long lists well at all and there are no nested folders whatsoever. I myself, don't pin much to the start menu because after 1 screen, it becomes clumsy and cumbersome to use.

I believe the reason MS de-unified the search is to try to hide the major flaw in the Metro UI. Cannot handle long lists, period.

Compromises had to be made. I think it is an acceptable compromise but won't pretend the issue doesn't exist.

#30 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 19:14

Yes, I have used it. I meant Modern UI of windows 8. Which, obviously, is going to be the UI that Microsoft continues developing in the future much more than the legacy desktop. Windows 8 Modern UI indicates the direction microsoft is taking for UI, the fact that desktop is still there doesn't change anything about it.

That entire statement makes no sense.

You basically are saying, 'Ignore everything that I want you to ignore and then my point makes sense.'

I'm sorry but things don't work that way. Metro is there for the purpose of giving you fast access to the personal side of things. The desktop is there to give you access to legacy and power user scenarios.

If I weren't so tired I would pop out an apt analogy for why this is ridiculous.