Photo

What the hell has happened to arch linux?

arch linux terrible systemd

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#31 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 04 November 2012 - 18:12

"Why the hell the removed the assisted GUI menu to install is beyond me but it's freaking retarded they would do that."
I'm not sure why they did that if I'm honest, I found it annoying when I setup a shift2 VM. Only thing I can think is that it had bugs, but I never encountered any.

#32 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 November 2012 - 18:24

Oh another bug, this keeps getting better and better... You can't use startx or xinit to open a second session any more...
*starts looking for another distro*

EDIT: Another user is having the same problem with startx, in fact, https://bbs.archlinu...forum.php?id=23
Look at the bugs the new gnome update has caused! TESTING and STABLE? I think not, more like SHOULDPROBABLYTEST and CANTBEARSEDTOTEST....

Edited by n_K, 04 November 2012 - 18:26.

#33 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 November 2012 - 18:38

Oh another bug, this keeps getting better and better... You can't use startx or xinit to open a second session any more...
*starts looking for another distro*

EDIT: Another user is having the same problem with startx, in fact, https://bbs.archlinu...forum.php?id=23
Look at the bugs the new gnome update has caused! TESTING and STABLE? I think not, more like SHOULDPROBABLYTEST and CANTBEARSEDTOTEST....

Arch isn't responsible for gnome bugs. Gnome 3.6 is 'stable' upstream.

#34 nvllsvm

nvllsvm

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 04 November 2012 - 18:41

I'm an Arch Linux user and this change was no problem for me. Sounds like Arch is not for you; go use ubuntu.

#35 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 November 2012 - 18:46

I'm an Arch Linux user and this change was no problem for me. Sounds like Arch is not for you; go use ubuntu.

So you don't use sound nor do you use another X11 session? Well that's great, thanks for the useful insight to these problems...

#36 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 04 November 2012 - 19:56

He's giving you plain advice, please take it with a pinch of salt.

#37 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 04 November 2012 - 20:03

Arch Linux is really turning to ****. Almost every time I do a system update, it completely breaks everything.

I tried reinstalling, and what happened? They made the install EVEN MORE DIFFICULT. Why the hell the removed the assisted GUI menu to install is beyond me but it's freaking retarded they would do that.

if something like arch or Gentoo is too hard for you then your probably more suited to use one of the noobuntu flavours.

#38 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 November 2012 - 23:35

Update on problem with being unable to change themes - you have to do it manually through gconf-editor, for some reason gnome-tweak-tool will say it's changed the theme but it really does absolutely nothing, changing the key via gconf-edit changes the theme right away. Volume indicator is still black and can't be seen though plus has the scroll wheel bug after numerous restarts. Annoying borders still present around panel widgets. Tried switching to gnome-shell and systemd managed to cause GDM or X11 to crash completely and didn't restart it, had to CTRL + ALT + F2, login and root and stop gdm using systemctl and start it again.

#39 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 05 November 2012 - 00:01

Can't speak for Gnome or multiple X sessions, but sound (pulseaudio) is working for me, it's most likely a configuration issue.

That said, Arch's migration to Systemd has been nothing short of catastrophic IMO. I run it on both my desktop and my laptop, and at multiple times have ended up making changes to configs in /etc/ and /usr/ that should have been done as part of updates.

There really should have been a migration guide on the Wiki for people switching from sysvinit. The systemd article is OK, but insufficient.

#40 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 November 2012 - 00:08

Here's a pic to illistrate the current annoying problems. I've looked through the scalable icons folder and even changed the audio ones, logged off and logged in but neither the OSD image nor the sound panel image are changed so I just reverted back.
And yes I do agree there should have, but for some reason some people posting here think you should just automatically know that switching from initscripts to systemd means inittab no longer works and things like that :s.
Oh and just got yet another bug in gnome, right click panel, go to properties and adjust the transparency of the panel -> instant crash for all applets on that panel.... How did gnome 3.6 EVER leave testing is something I'd really like to know.

Attached Images

• annoying.png

Edited by n_K, 05 November 2012 - 00:10.

#41 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:17

That's just Arch being Arch.

#42 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:06

Installed all my arch updates.. I had some issues with Gnome and some strange looking things. I have re-installed my Cinnamon theme, and ensured that my daemons got linked with the systemd. Downloaded gnome-tweak-tool from the repo and all seems good.

The only problem I am having right now.. is that whenever I start it up, I have to run gnome-tweak-tool and reset the "Have file manager handle the desktop". Because until I disable then re-enable the icons have a black font which can't be seen on my desktop, and the menu is the white/grey not the dark that I set.

Posted Image

#43 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:59

if something like arch or Gentoo is too hard for you then your probably more suited to use one of the noobuntu flavours.

Sorry sir, but I have used Gentoo many times in the past and used Arch many times. In fact, my first Gentoo install was a stage 1 on a 1.7ghz P4. It took 3 days of compiling to get to a usable desktop environment. The thing is, it's pretty dumb to have a regression in the difficulty of installing your distribution.

#44 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 November 2012 - 13:29

I removed nautilus 3.6, found it to be complete crap and missing all the features that made it great, got the PKGBUILD and rebuilt 3.4 and installed that, suddenly .sh files on my desktop with eXecute enabled now asked me if I wanted to run them again instead of just opening in gedit!

#45 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 November 2012 - 19:21

This is just astounding.... Anyone know how to get rid of the login sounds/noises/dribbles on the gnome login screen? Whenever I select my username I hear a load of annoying 'drip' noises, and the only way it seems to disable them appears to be by disabling event sounds which disables the noise when you change volume using keyboard keys which I don't want to do. Heck deleting the sound file from /usr/share/sounds doesn't stop it, seems the gnome team found a new way to **** people off, hide sounds and images inside of the executables so you can't change them without recompiling them.