Third Party Visual Styled Not Working Completely

visual styles themes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Harkonenn

Harkonenn

Neowinian

Posted 09 November 2012 - 13:05

After using the Universal Theme Patcher on my new laptop (running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1) it seems that 3rd party visual styles/themes are not being applied to all applications, or in some cases only partially applied. I'm using the Gaia09 visual style, but this happens with any visual style I use, including the standard Aero style.

I've attached an image to show what I mean. On the left is Google Chrome with the Open dialog box opened. Except for the back/forward buttons in the location bar, it appears that the VS is being applied completely. On the right is Notepad++. The window frames around the main application and the Open dialog are using the VS, but the interior elements are not - they look like they're using the Classic theme. System-wide, this seems to be the case with many applications: they're either completely styled, or only their window borders and min/max/close buttons are being styled.

I've tried using the Universal Theme Patcher to patch both 64-bit and 32-bit system files. I've also tried the UxStyle Core service, and even TuneUp Utilities' built-in 3rd party theme support. After multiple patching and restoring attempts, I ran SFC /scannow to replace any affected system files, rebooted, repatched, etc. still without any luck.

I'd appreciate any help!

Attached Images

• ugh.jpg

#2 +Seahorsepip

Seahorsepip

http://seapip.com

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z White

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:53

you call that the classic elements problem ^^
the dialog on the right side is coded to use the windows 2000 style instead of the aero style, this is a decision by the coder of the application.

Edit: seems it doesn't use windows 2000 style on my notepad++, you sure that you have the latest version of notepad++?

#3 OP Harkonenn

Harkonenn

Neowinian

Posted 15 November 2012 - 14:37

Thanks for responding! I do have the latest version of Notepad++. The problem that I showed in the screenshot doesn't just apply to NP++, but it was just the easiest example I could give. I've attached another screenshot that shows a side-by-side comparison of my new system and old system. Almost every application on my new system uses the Windows 2000 style for open & save dialog boxes. Both systems have the same patched themeservice.dll, themeui.dll, uxtheme.dll and explorer.exe files in the right locations - I copied the ones from the old system over to me new one in an attempt to fix this.

I've also run sfc /scannow to replace any *corrupted* Windows files. After replacing the patched ones with the originals, even if I just use the built in Windows 7 Aero theme, many applications STILL use the Win 2000 style. This is driving me nuts!

Attached Images

• test.jpg

#4 +Seahorsepip

Seahorsepip

http://seapip.com

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z White

Posted 15 November 2012 - 18:55

This seems really weird :/
really this is the weirdest problem I've come across for a while >.>

Did you try system restore?(if everything else fails lol)

#5 OP Harkonenn

Harkonenn

Neowinian

Posted 15 November 2012 - 19:27

I wish I could do a system restore! The oldest restore point on my system is from this morning, and this problem has persisted for weeks. ARRRRGH!

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!