22 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:38

Posted Image

It appears Nintendo's new console won't have a mandatory achievement-style system like Sony's PlayStation 3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360. Jeremiah Slaczka, co-founder of 5th Cell, said it's up to the developers to add achievements to their Wii U games. 5th Cell developed Scribblenauts Unlimited for the console's launch on Sunday, November 18.

"There are no Wii U accomplishments that are system wide," Slaczka said on NeoGAF. "They are up to the developers to include or not include. Scribblenauts Unlimited loosely has them in the form of 'Global Starite Shards' which is like a giant checklist of global things to spawn and do in the game that aren't area specific."

Slaczka did note, however, this could change in the future. "The Miiverse is in its infancy. Just think how much the PS3/360 dashboard and store changed to meet people's needs. I'm sure Nintendo will do plenty of updates and new integration of systems as time goes on."

[Source: NeoGAF, via Gematsu]

http://www.gameinfor...hievements.aspx

#2 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:51

....and nothing of value was lost.

#3 +OOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOO

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:54

I never cared about achievements on Xbox or PS3 and never understood why they were included.

#4 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:59

I never cared about achievements on Xbox or PS3 and never understood why they were included.

Because the world doesn't revolve around you, pretty much.

#5 OP compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:03

I just think they are challenges. Some are clever, and some are obviosly thrown in at the last minute. If devs put in a clever or difficult acheivement, I like to at least have a crack at it. No harm, no foul.

The way some folk talk about 'em, you'd think you have to obtain them to complete the game. :laugh:

#6 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 November 2012 - 13:31

For some people, they add to the game once it is complete. Some games use it as a cop-out to add longevity, but some really get creative and make the longevity fun.

#7 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2012 - 13:43

Achievements / Trophies can be a reward or a method to psychologically get you to play a game past when you find it enjoyable.
This is a great example - http://www.penny-arc...the-skinner-box

I've broken any obsession with trophies / achievement unlocks quite some time ago. When a game stops being fun, I just stop playing it.

#8 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

Posted 13 November 2012 - 14:00

....and nothing of value was lost.

(Y)

#9 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 13 November 2012 - 14:02

i dont really understand achievements either. sure, they can add some life to a game, or present a new challenge for the player. but, in the end, so what? oh boy i got the Platinum trophy in <whatever> game! :huh:

#10 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

Posted 13 November 2012 - 14:07

i dont really understand achievements either. sure, they can add some life to a game, or present a new challenge for the player. but, in the end, so what? oh boy i got the Platinum trophy in <whatever> game! :huh:

And most of the time they end up forcing you to do tedious, repetitive tasks ad nauseum to unlock them. "OMGz I need 2 kill 60,000,000 zombiezz with only mah fistses!!!1111"

#11 testman

testman

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2012 - 14:30

That's down to the (lack of) creativity of the developer, nothing to do with achievements in general. Obviously.

#12 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 13 November 2012 - 14:32

And most of the time they end up forcing you to do tedious, repetitive tasks ad nauseum to unlock them. "OMGz I need 2 kill 60,000,000 zombiezz with only mah fistses!!!1111"

right - so, if you have 8000 trophies on the PS3. who cares? what happens when the PS4 comes out? you have zero.

#13 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 14:38

It's all about epeen.
People, today, can't seem to enjoy a game without some sort of positive reinforcement.
OMG LOOK AT MY GIANT PEENER YOU NOOB11!1!!!1 :rolleyes:

#14 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 13 November 2012 - 14:40

No big loss in not having an achievement system. Especially since you can't actually do or get anything with all those points and trophies.

#15 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 14:44

right - so, if you have 8000 trophies on the PS3. who cares? what happens when the PS4 comes out? you have zero.

I doubt trophies/achievements will be reset when the next generation is out. They're already cross-platform. Vita/PS3 , W8/WP8/XBOX. The new consoles will just be another platform you can access your account from.