california corporate action network

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,991 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 17:31

America’s biggest retailer may be in for an unexpectedly painful holiday season. Protesting low wages, spiking health care premiums, and alleged retaliation from management, Wal-Mart Stores workers have started to walk off the job this week. First, on Wednesday, about a dozen workers in Wal-Mart’s distribution warehouses in Southern California walked out, followed the next day by 30 more from six stores in the Seattle area.

The workers, who are part of a union-backed employee coalition called Making Change at Wal-Mart, say this is the beginning of a wave of protests and strikes leading up to next week’s Black Friday. A thousand store protests are planned in Chicago, Dallas, Miami, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Milwaukee, Los Angeles, Minnesota, and Washington, D.C., the group says.

In a conference call with reporters on Thursday, workers who were either planning to strike or already striking explained their situation. “We have to borrow money from each other just to make it to work,” said Colby Harris, who earns $8.90 an hour after having worked at a Wal-Mart in Lancaster, Tex., for three years. “I’m on my lunch break right now, and I have two dollars in my pocket. I’m deciding whether to use it to buy lunch or to hold on to it for next week.” He said the deduction from his bimonthly pay check for health-care costs is scheduled to triple in January. In 2013, Wal-Mart plans to scale back its contributions to workers’ health-care premiums, which are expected to rise between 8 percent and 36 percent. Many employees will forgo coverage, Reuters reports.

Sara Gilbert, a manager who was striking in Seattle, called in on her cell phone: “I work full-time for one of the richest companies in the world, and my kids get state health insurance and are on food stamps,” she said.

more

#17 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,642 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 17 November 2012 - 17:37

Sounds like plenty of job openings coming up. :)

#18 SongHyeonDeok

SongHyeonDeok

Lightning in a bottle.

• 353 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 17:52

I'm so glad I'm not in retail anymore. I have very little patience for people who think that just because you work at a store that you don't deserve to be treated like a fellow human being. Many people these days simply aren't raised to have any manners.

Said the last generation, and the generation before, and the generation before that, and so on, and so fourth...

@Topic: Not surprised by this at all really, Wal-Mart strike me as a company who love to **** the little guys.

#19 +McCordRm

McCordRm

http://richardmccord.com

• 3,198 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 18:40

Said the last generation, and the generation before, and the generation before that, and so on, and so fourth...

@Topic: Not surprised by this at all really, Wal-Mart strike me as a company who love to **** the little guys.

You mean by creating thousands of jobs? Yea... ****ty company.

#20 SongHyeonDeok

SongHyeonDeok

Lightning in a bottle.

• 353 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 21:28

You mean by creating thousands of jobs? Yea... ****ty company.

Sorry you misunderstood...

It's good to create jobs, but not to treat the bottom employees like garbage, Wal-Mart are one of the largest companies on the planet, I thought they'd be willing to help a little more. Though I guess I'm the fool since they're just another company willing to screw people over.

#21 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

• 4,341 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 21:39

Sorry you misunderstood...

It's good to create jobs, but not to treat the bottom employees like garbage, Wal-Mart are one of the largest companies on the planet, I thought they'd be willing to help a little more. Though I guess I'm the fool since they're just another company willing to screw people over.

trust me, walmart has every right to treat bottom employees like garbage because bottom employees are completely unreliable. They call in all the time. They often times just stop showing up. They don't work all that hard. I worked there for 3 years and my wife is still there after eight. They are right to assume that new employees are **** until they prove otherwise.

#22 TurnedMyWorldToBlack

TurnedMyWorldToBlack

Neowinian

• 114 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 21:45

Indeed...considering they already pay fair wages and provide decent healthcare coverage for full-time associates they should be anti-union...the prices of goods would skyrocket if the union moved in.

I was offered a job man years ago...just stocking shelves that would have paid $12 an hour with insurance after 90-days. I turned it down since I had a better offer already doing something more aligned with my interests.

I'm sorry but no they don't pay a good wage, I worked there for two years and when I left I was making $6.50 an hour. After the two years I worked there if I wanted insurance it would have been close to half my paycheck and it covered nothing. The only people I know that made anywhere near $12 were people who worked there for years and of course management.

#23 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

• 4,341 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 21:45

Indeed...considering they already pay fair wages and provide decent healthcare coverage for full-time associates they should be anti-union...the prices of goods would skyrocket if the union moved in.

I was offered a job man years ago...just stocking shelves that would have paid $12 an hour with insurance after 90-days. I turned it down since I had a better offer already doing something more aligned with my interests.

nightstock was a good gig. it's what I was doing.

#24 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

• 4,341 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 21:52

I'm sorry but no they don't pay a good wage, I worked there for two years and when I left I was making $6.50 an hour. After the two years I worked there if I wanted insurance it would have been close to half my paycheck and it covered nothing. The only people I know that made anywhere near $12 were people who worked there for years and of course management.

there's a $2 differential for nightstock. So he was really offered $10. The $2 would disappear if he transferred to days. Still $10 + 2 for a level 3 job isn't bad. What job did you work? Were you a greeter? sales associate? cashier? and when did you have this job? Ten years ago? Did you ever try to bargain for a higher wage? Whether you know it or not employers actually like employees who value their own time because that means they are more likely to value company time too. You could have probably talked them up to 9 to 9.50 easy.

#25 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 16,884 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:00

I'm so glad I'm not in retail anymore. I have very little patience for people who think that just because you work at a store that you don't deserve to be treated like a fellow human being. Many people these days simply aren't raised to have any manners.

Seriously it is a shame how there are people out there who just refused to give another human being the decency and respect they deserve simply because they view that person to be "beneath them" because of the job they currently have.

I personally have way more respect for some who works in WalMart or McDonalds or the list goes on and on as that person in my opinion is showing they are willing to do what needs to be done to make ends meet.

#26 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:58

there's a $2 differential for nightstock. So he was really offered $10. The $2 would disappear if he transferred to days. Still $10 + 2 for a level 3 job isn't bad. What job did you work? Were you a greeter? sales associate? cashier? and when did you have this job? Ten years ago? Did you ever try to bargain for a higher wage? Whether you know it or not employers actually like employees who value their own time because that means they are more likely to value company time too. You could have probably talked them up to 9 to 9.50 easy.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but bingo.

Walmart wants people who show initiative, backbone, and a willingness to commit to both the company and their families. Part of why I was offered that position at $12 an hour for stocking was due to that. I pointed out to them that I was currently making about $10 an hour with my current job, and being married it was hard to make ends meet. I told them that if I was going to be away from my wife every single night that I needed better pay & benefits for it.

What they offered me was that $12 an hour, plus a benefits package that actually didn't bite very hard into the paycheck. This happened only because I told them what I could accept, why it was necessary for it to be that way, and that I couldn't even entertain an offer that didn't fit.

They called me within a couple days to make the offer, but by then I had already had another offer, so I had to turn it down...and even then they contacted me over the next couple months to still see if I was available. The managers there really liked me.

I've also known several people just like me who also have worked there, and received fair wages and benefits. One of my friends is a single mother and she has worked her ass off and makes enough to rent a house, pay for all her sons school stuff and medical stuff...and isn't on any form of government help.

Amazing what can happen when you advocate for yourself and prove that you are a valuable asset to a company.

Seriously it is a shame how there are people out there who just refused to give another human being the decency and respect they deserve simply because they view that person to be "beneath them" because of the job they currently have.

I personally have way more respect for some who works in WalMart or McDonalds or the list goes on and on as that person in my opinion is showing they are willing to do what needs to be done to make ends meet.

Exactly. I have a ton of respect for people in service industries. I've worked in a few positions myself, and do not look down on them. I've worked at McD's, Jack in the Box, Taco Bell, & KFC. I've worked doing support for Verizon, MS, and various other companies over the years. That's how I started was doing support positions, and then have moved up over time.

There is nothing wrong with it and anyone who has a problem with those in the retail, restaurant, or other service industries well, that's their own personal problem and loss. Some of those folks are some of the best people I've ever known.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!