question

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#31 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:21

I'm thinking your browser had some sort of setting to where it was viewing the landscape version of the site in portrait. Theres nothing really to be done about it, sorry if I got crazy with you, but don't know what else I can do to explain it has been like this for months by design.

Currently the ONLY platform that does not wrap the headlines is WP8, due to the fact ms has us on some stupid compatibility list, so its ignoring the view port.

#32 Mohitster

Mohitster

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 525

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:37

Did the front page mobile skin get changed recently? Suddenly, I have to scroll news headings left and right to see the whole thing, where yesterday they would wrap.

Please put it back, this is a crappy change and looks awful, even on my large screen Note 2.

+1

Same happening on my Symbian Belle device using Opera Mobile since yesterday.

Can't explain it. However I can verify that the change did happen months ago. Every single mobile device I own has shown the new version for months.

Maybe just something weird with your particular device like a rendering bug where it was showing the landscape view on portrait.

I did clear my cache yesterday. So, that might be the culprit if this change was made months ago. Anyways, unwrapped news sucks! :/

#33 Redmak

Redmak

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 39
  • Phone: HTC One

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:42

We think it has something to do with a compressed mobile css file.
We may at one time had a compressed css file on the live servers and obviously that doesn't work very well
And even though it may have looked better it didn't look the way it was intended.

Maybe an option is something to look into because tbh I found the "old" way of displaying news better also (it's not annoying enough to make this a priority)

#34 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:59

It's been like this for months here to so it does seem odd that some people only just got it, even on new devices.

I actually quite like it. I can skim the articles find one i think is interesting and then swipe if i want to see if i actually would be interested.

#35 OP FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:23

I'm thinking your browser had some sort of setting to where it was viewing the landscape version of the site in portrait. Theres nothing really to be done about it, sorry if I got crazy with you, but don't know what else I can do to explain it has been like this for months by design.

Currently the ONLY platform that does not wrap the headlines is WP8, due to the fact ms has us on some stupid compatibility list, so its ignoring the view port.

OK, well, firstly.. Sorry for getting snippy with you... I was just getting rather frustrated with your replies.

I can guarantee you that there are no such settings changes going on with my device. Nothing at all has changed on it between one day having the wrapped headings, and the next day having the scrolling ones. I used several browsers, and they were ALL doing it one way, and are now doing it another.

This is a change at Neowin's end, not mine.

We think it has something to do with a compressed mobile css file.
We may at one time had a compressed css file on the live servers and obviously that doesn't work very well
And even though it may have looked better it didn't look the way it was intended.

Maybe an option is something to look into because tbh I found the "old" way of displaying news better also (it's not annoying enough to make this a priority)

Assuming this is something that got changed in the last 2 days, it's very likely the culprit.

To be honest, I really can't see how ANYone would rather have to manually scroll headings rather than seeing them wrap around. One gives you all the info at a glance, the other means you have to faff around scrolling the title just to see if you're interested in the topic or not.

Why not just have multiple skins, like we do for the desktop, and let the user decide which they prefer?

#36 joemailey

joemailey

Neowinian

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:38

The fact you have to scroll to read the full headline, has bugged me from the first day I seen it. To the fact I switch to desktop mode. Which is probably harder to use, but at least I get to read the full headlines.

I'd prefer the headlines wrapped. If I'm being honest, the whole point of a mobile site is to make it more user friendly on mobiles? cutting of half the headlines goes against that.

It usually involves me doing this when I read the mobile site: Microsoft holds real and virt....(oh this seems like an interesting article, will scroll to read the rest. . . . . on 2nd thoughts not interest, just wasted my time scrolling to read the title)

#37 +D. FiB3R

D. FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Lumia 625

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:48

This is strange, because for me, I had the opposite happen yesterday. The scrolling headlines vanished, and were wrapped instead. The headlines were also much larger. I actually liked it better tbh. Even though the scrolling is fancy, it's a pain in the arse.

#38 OP FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:56

That's the thing though.. Fancy effects will NEVER replace ease of use, and if there's one thing you NEED when browsing on a phone, it's a site that's easy to use.

For me, Neowin was easy to use on a mobile 2 days ago. Now it's just pants.

#39 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

Posted 20 November 2012 - 13:12

This is strange, because for me, I had the opposite happen yesterday. The scrolling headlines vanished, and were wrapped instead. The headlines were also much larger. I actually liked it better tbh. Even though the scrolling is fancy, it's a pain in the arse.

What platform are you using, if this is windows phone 8 we're in the hands of microsoft to remove us from the compatibility list :(

That's the thing though.. Fancy effects will NEVER replace ease of use, and if there's one thing you NEED when browsing on a phone, it's a site that's easy to use.

For me, Neowin was easy to use on a mobile 2 days ago. Now it's just pants.

And we appreciate the feedback, maybe the next update to the mobile skin will not have scrolling headlines. But for now, we just need to pretend its metro where everything is cu...

#40 OP FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 20 November 2012 - 15:59

^ Nope. Not gonna happen. Instead I'll just keep away from the news page when mobile, and seeing as part of the site is now unusable for me on mobile, I might as well do away with the other annoyance on mobile that I've put up with for now, ads.

#41 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:08

^ Nope. Not gonna happen. Instead I'll just keep away from the news page when mobile, and seeing as part of the site is now unusable for me on mobile, I might as well do away with the other annoyance on mobile that I've put up with for now, ads.

Feel free to subscribe to remove the ads from the mobile version of the site.

#42 OP FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:18

Yeah, that's really going to happen when I'm not happy with the mobile skin, isn't it? I'll leave ads on in the desktop version (which IS where most of my site use is), but they're gone on mobile. Sorry, but if I'm putting up with one annoyance, then I'll lose the other one.

#43 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:20

I noticed the scrolling a while back and It appears to be working without issue for me. I suppose it would be a bit of a surprise for it to happen all of a sudden however, being used to it I assumed you were reporting an issue as well.

#44 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:21

So much rage over something that clearly happened months ago. How ridiculous.

#45 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:24

Discussing ad removal without being a subscriber is the wrong move here.

Just trying to save you being even more upset later on when you realize that is a big no no around here.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!