• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 24,003 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 27 November 2012 - 15:44

Adblock Plus launches on Android to block ads in apps and on the Web, no rooting required

Adblock Plus, a forked version of Adblock, today released version 1.0 of its free native Android app. You can download the app now from the official Google Play store (Android 2.1+ required).

You can also download the .apk directly from AdBlockPlus.org and install it manually. If you do, however, you won’t get automatic updates, which are particularly important when it comes to blocking ads (as the sites that serve them are regularly changed).

Android users will of course be very pleased with the news, but third-party Android developers likely won’t. Ads are a big source of revenue for most app makers, and the biggest for many.

The announcement isn’t up yet on AdBlockPlus.org, but when it is we will update you with any additional information. In the meantime, the about page describes the new release as an app “that works in background and filters web traffic according to standard Adblock Plus rules.”

Despite this, you still have to run the app at least once to perform the first-time configuration setup. Either way, you’ll want to play around with the settings to make tailor the ad blocker to your needs.

The app has three major modes:
  • If device is rooted then it will be able to filter common web traffic without any change to network settings. In this mode it can filter both mobile and Wi-Fi traffic.
  • On non-rooted devices running Android 3.1 and higher Adblock Plus will also filter web traffic automatically, here it can only intercept Wi-Fi traffic however.
  • For non-rooted devices running Android 3.0 and older Adblock Plus needs to be configured as a proxy server manually. Some devices do not support setting a proxy server, Adblock Plus for Android will not work on these devices.
Today’s release means Ad Block Plus is now available on Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and Android. It is also coming to Internet Explorer and Safari.
See also – Adblock Plus for Chrome now unblocks certain ads by default; Here’s how to block them again and Ads no more: Adblock Plus for Opera 12.10 goes live

Source: The Next Web

#2 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

• 2,857 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 16:20

Just installed this on my S3 :D

#3 The Dingus Diddler

The Dingus Diddler

Sir Derpy McHerperton III

• 1,952 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020

Posted 27 November 2012 - 16:35

Thanks for the heads up, using AdFree on my rooted One X but I'll give this a go since I've been noticing some adds the past week or 2

EDIT: Hope they add an option to remove the icon from the Notification bar, other than that it's worked fine on sites I quickly tested it on :)

#4 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:18

It's about time. Thanks.

#5 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• 8,831 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:29

**** yeah!

#6 Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• 4,109 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:35

They've also got Adblock Plus for Opera now, neat.

#7 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,084 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:39

In gingerbread wifi controls lack the proxy setting needed for this :(

#8 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,430 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:11

Ads are annoying, intrusive, and use my data. I would much rather contribute to the devs by paying a few bucks for an ad-free version of the app.

#9 Secular Humanist

Secular Humanist

Neowinian Senior

• 3,892 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:23

let me try to understand this correctly: some of you want to use apps given to you free of charge with the expectation that they will make the cost back through ads that you are intending on blocking? Why not just buy the paid version to avoid the ads?

#10 (Spork)

(Spork)

ANDROID-APPLE

• 4,789 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:29

In gingerbread wifi controls lack the proxy setting needed for this :(

gingerbread ? really

Thanks for the heads up, using AdFree on my rooted One X but I'll give this a go since I've been noticing some adds the past week or 2

EDIT: Hope they add an option to remove the icon from the Notification bar, other than that it's worked fine on sites I quickly tested it on :)

yea i hope so too thats annoying as hell

#11 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,084 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:30

really.. my phone won't support anything higher.... can't afford a new one....

#12 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:35

let me try to understand this correctly: some of you want to use apps given to you free of charge with the expectation that they will make the cost back through ads that you are intending on blocking? Why not just buy the paid version to avoid the ads?

Does it filter ads in apps or just common web traffic?

#13 Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

• 2,768 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:36

really.. my phone won't support anything higher.... can't afford a new one....

Neither did mine, but CM10 to the rescue! JB rocks! (Sporting a Galaxy S here, lol) Thanks for letting me know about adblock, though! (Y)

#14 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,084 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:44

I got an Optimus S it's a POS though... as soon as I get more money I'll replace it.

#15 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,053 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:41

Not all apps have an ad-free paid version, which is annoying as yes, I'd much rather pay to support the developer than put up with annoying ads that take up valuable screen space.

And no, I'm not using this ad-blocker.