• Please log in to reply
411 replies to this topic

#391 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 15 December 2012 - 00:34

They just said they weren't supported. And with good reason. Every Focus we put them in eventually corrupted and had to be reformatted. I think MS shunned SD cards because WP7 simply didn't do them well (the whole unified memory thing). MS lies of course like all business' when needed. All fixed in WP8 so they're good now.

eh, no.

#392 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:12

eh, no.

Perhaps I should be more specific, removable SD cards (as users are accustomed to using an SD card; as fixed and now usable in WP8) and non-certified SD cards as they become a part of unified memory under WP7 and just don't work well. Even certified cards would corrupt and require reformatting of all memory in our experience, hence, we stopped allowing their use.

From Microsoft:
  • The SD card slot in your phone is intended to be used only by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) that built your phone and your Mobile Operator (MO). These partners can add an SD card to this slot to expand the amount of storage on your phone.
  • To help ensure a great user experience, Microsoft has performed exhaustive testing to determine which SD cards perform well with Windows Phone 7 devices. Microsoft has worked closely with OEMs and MOs to ensure that they only add these cards to Windows Phone 7 devices.
  • You should not remove the SD card in your phone or add a new one because your Windows Phone 7 device might not work properly. Existing data on the phone will be lost, and the SD card in your phone can't be used in other Windows Phones, PCs, or other devices.

#393 Kyang

Kyang

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:54

Keep in mind Microsoft is listening to the customers and changing the features to give people less reason to hate them. For instance, in Vista everyone got pinched by UAC. If you did "administrative" tasks like rename a folder or copy files you'd be getting 4 or 5 UAC prompts during the process. In Windows 7 MS toned it down enough that you will see them only when installing and removing programs, for the most part. The complaints of it died down because UAC was radically improved between Vista and 7.

I never had UAC prompts from just renaming a folder.

I think you mean you had UAC prompts for renaming a folder within obviously "Dangerous" parts of the OS like system32 or Program files, right?

#394 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:34

I never had UAC prompts from just renaming a folder.

I think you mean you had UAC prompts for renaming a folder within obviously "Dangerous" parts of the OS like system32 or Program files, right?

Probably. However, you probably could give the rights to a folder in a user space to Admin and get one. That's not likely to happen under normal circumstances, though.

#395 I am Not PCyr

I am Not PCyr

Neowinian

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:52

BajiRav

you said

"unless Windows 8 is a spectacular flop which is unlikely given the apparent good start."

I disagree for example wikipedia states the result is mixed NOT good.
Maybe you should go and edit the wikipedia page lol

and DotMatrix
Your reply seems fair but i have 2 thoughts.
You never addressed your motivations.. why is this such a battle for you ?
Why are people not allowed to dislike things on Windows 8 ?

Also for the most part i heard you stating your opinions and i won't dare say they are wrong
but lets keep things in context.. I have an opinion too.. so what lol
What makes your right and mine wrong ? What you typed out didn't make a compelling argument for me personally
For others ya maybe ?? And Windows is not designed for a subset of the public tradionaly
and having M$ slash and burn all their products and services and merge them into one so called "unified"
platform means more than ever they should be trying to please a wider audience.
And you gave me your opinionon M$'s direction and here iis mine in response.

M$ shouldn't be killing good practices because some people are bored with windows.
That sounds an awful lot like change for changes sake to me.
Don't forget you can always go and install software after installing windows..
We don't need to get carried away with bundling things into the OS..
Not when they are doing stuff liek removing WMC lol

You should read the quote posted at wikipedia from this guy..

Adrian Kingsley-Hughes from ZDNet wrote: "The biggest problem with Windows 8 is that it wasn't born out of a need or demand. Its design failures, particularly with ‘Metro UI’ will likely be its downfall."[115]

edit:
I don't see the problem here if M$ can please everyone. What is wrong with adding some options to an OS
that will please both sides ? of Say the Metro interface for example. If both sides get what they want then why is only one side complaining ?

#396 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:17

Perhaps I should be more specific, removable SD cards (as users are accustomed to using an SD card; as fixed and now usable in WP8) and non-certified SD cards as they become a part of unified memory under WP7 and just don't work well. Even certified cards would corrupt and require reformatting of all memory in our experience, hence, we stopped allowing their use.

From Microsoft:

• The SD card slot in your phone is intended to be used only by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) that built your phone and your Mobile Operator (MO). These partners can add an SD card to this slot to expand the amount of storage on your phone.
  • To help ensure a great user experience, Microsoft has performed exhaustive testing to determine which SD cards perform well with Windows Phone 7 devices. Microsoft has worked closely with OEMs and MOs to ensure that they only add these cards to Windows Phone 7 devices.
  • You should not remove the SD card in your phone or add a new one because your Windows Phone 7 device might not work properly. Existing data on the phone will be lost, and the SD card in your phone can't be used in other Windows Phones, PCs, or other devices.

I think you're confusing software with hardware compatibility.

M$
M$'s

M$
M$

And that's where everything you said became meaningless ramble that there's no point reading or responding to. Actually that happened at the first one, the rest your cemented it.

though I was starting to feel it already when you mentioned Wikipedia.

#397 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• Phone: Android

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:35

Chief Marketing and Financial Officer for Windows opened up the Credit Suisse Annual Tech conference with the news that Windows 8 has sold 40 million licenses so far.

Can we stop the foolish debate of it being a flop now? thanks! would appreciate getting back to talking about fun stuff!

its cause people dont have a choice when buying a new laptop... I have "down graded" to windows 7 and linux for a few people lately

#398 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:52

To bad you didn't tell those people" just try it", and not only would they have managed just fine, the would probably have managed better than your downgrade.

#399 Windows Nashville

Windows Nashville

Neowinian

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:36

Can we stop the foolish debate of it being a flop now?

Not for at least 27 pages.

#400 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:53

BajiRav

you said

and DotMatrix
Your reply seems fair but i have 2 thoughts.
You never addressed your motivations.. why is this such a battle for you ?
Why are people not allowed to dislike things on Windows 8 ?

Also for the most part i heard you stating your opinions and i won't dare say they are wrong
but lets keep things in context.. I have an opinion too.. so what lol
What makes your right and mine wrong ? What you typed out didn't make a compelling argument for me personally
For others ya maybe ?? And Windows is not designed for a subset of the public tradionaly
and having M$ slash and burn all their products and services and merge them into one so called "unified"
platform means more than ever they should be trying to please a wider audience.
And you gave me your opinionon M$'s direction and here iis mine in response.

M$ shouldn't be killing good practices because some people are bored with windows.
That sounds an awful lot like change for changes sake to me.
Don't forget you can always go and install software after installing windows..
We don't need to get carried away with bundling things into the OS..
Not when they are doing stuff liek removing WMC lol

You should read the quote posted at wikipedia from this guy..

[/sup]

edit:
I don't see the problem here if M$ can please everyone. What is wrong with adding some options to an OS
that will please both sides ? of Say the Metro interface for example. If both sides get what they want then why is only one side complaining ?

I want to reply to this, but the copious use of "M$" tells me you're trolling.

#401 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 15 December 2012 - 13:21

Keep in mind Microsoft is listening to the customers and changing the features to give people less reason to hate them. For instance, in Vista everyone got pinched by UAC. If you did "administrative" tasks like rename a folder or copy files you'd be getting 4 or 5 UAC prompts during the process. In Windows 7 MS toned it down enough that you will see them only when installing and removing programs, for the most part. The complaints of it died down because UAC was radically improved between Vista and 7.

radically improved? more like streamlined for the "power users" who couldn't figure out the NTFS permission triggering the numerous UAC prompts. (yes they also improved by combining multiple prompts generated in a single user action)

BajiRav

you said

lol may lol be you lol should lol, why the lol **** should I care what's lol on Microsoft's Wikipedia page lol?

its cause people dont have a choice when buying a new laptop... I have "down graded" to windows 7 and linux for a few people lately

aah, that explains Android's 70+% market share then.

#402 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

Posted 15 December 2012 - 14:34

radically improved? more like streamlined for the "power users" who couldn't figure out the NTFS permission triggering the numerous UAC prompts. (yes they also improved by combining multiple prompts generated in a single user action)

lol may lol be you lol should lol, why the lol **** should I care what's lol on Microsoft's Wikipedia page lol?

aah, that explains Android's 70+% market share then.

I like your jump from laptops/pc to mobile devices ... I specifically said laptops .

#403 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 15 December 2012 - 18:29

I like your jump from laptops/pc to mobile devices ... I specifically said laptops .

just drawing parallel because people don't have option is getting old really fast, especially with how many Macs Apple has been selling recently and then some Linux systems available in the market.
Android is pretty much same, people don't have option to choose anything but Android in most cases - only now things are looking better with WP8.

#404 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

Posted 15 December 2012 - 21:14

just drawing parallel because people don't have option is getting old really fast, especially with how many Macs Apple has been selling recently and then some Linux systems available in the market.
Android is pretty much same, people don't have option to choose anything but Android in most cases - only now things are looking better with WP8.

wp8 for phones is a good thing ... i think its a good hand held os ... but in reference to laptops and pcs its a terrible evil creature

#405 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 15 December 2012 - 21:35

Don't have a horse in this race but with regards to desktops, the number of Macs Apple has been selling and Linux are passing itches on the butt of Windows. They are totally insignificant on the desktop. That will remain unchanged unless Microsoft really screws up. I would have though that impossible, but however unlikely, it is possible. In a theoretical sense ;)