Firefox with MSN released

Offering a Firefox with MSN Custom Experience

We first added Bing as a search option in Firefox and later announced Firefox with Bing as a customized Firefox experience for Bing users.

Today, we are releasing Firefox with MSN, a customized version of Firefox for MSN users. Firefox with MSN sets Bing as the default search engine in the search box and AwesomeBar, saves msnNOW in a convenient Firefox App Tab and makes MSN.com your default home page.

It also gives your Firefox an MSN theme and provides quick access links to popular MSN channels so you can easily get real time updates for news, entertainment, sports and the things that matter most to you.

You can get Firefox with MSN here. Existing Firefox users can get the custom experience by downloading the Firefox with MSN add-on.

Firefox has nearly 20 customized versions distributed by partners around the world including AOL, Bing, Twitter, Yahoo! and Yandex.

Source: The Mozilla Blog

Not really willing to install it to see what the theme is however, is this a migration for Mozilla to distance themselves from google?

Wow Rappy, that pic brings back memories :D

Reminds me of the first time I ran AOL 7 (I think it was 7.0) when they did their big UI redesign on AOL itself. MSN Explorer looked great (and I still think it looks good today to be honest) back then. AOL Desktop is more or less MSN Explorer now anyway :p

did you all like wmp9's look too????

I generally don't use WiMP for functionality reasons. Back in the day I used Winamp, then moved on to Zune.

I however continued to use MSN Explorer for many years on different types of connections because I pretty much never had to pay for it at any point in time and it made it very easy to track everything.

My messaging, e-mails, and things I cared about all in one spot. This is actually one of the very early precursors to what you see in Windows 8 believe it or not. They've been working towards what we have (well it's still not all there, but you'll see more of that later) for a very long time.

Wow. I kinda liked it then but I stuck to MSIE in that day.... I was running lower resolutions then and that UI wasted too much space (1024x768) so I used MSIE and preferred it. It looked nice at the time but it was too big for me.

I used the following media players longer then one month:

winamp, sonique, s2, SAP, winamp, k-jofol. wmp6.4,7,8,9,10,11,12, mediamonkey, jriver media jukebox and my fav is still media jukebox. even tho it hasnt had a version update in 2 years it's still awesome to me. I evne got a windows 8 metro looking skin for it so it blends in.

Wow. I kinda liked it then but I stuck to MSIE in that day.... I was running lower resolutions then and that UI wasted too much space (1024x768) so I used MSIE and preferred it. It looked nice at the time but it was too big for me.

I used the following media players longer then one month:

winamp, sonique, s2, SAP, winamp, k-jofol. wmp6.4,7,8,9,10,11,12, mediamonkey, jriver media jukebox and my fav is still media jukebox. even tho it hasnt had a version update in 2 years it's still awesome to me. I evne got a windows 8 metro looking skin for it so it blends in.

Nice :)

Yeah I usually had monitors that could handle 1280x1024 or higher. So for me the screen real estate was well used since it made it easier. I could just click a button and there was my e-mail. Another and I was viewing messages from friends and able to respond. Another and I could jump into a game on MSN Zone.

It's one of those things that it's a case where it was very different and that put a lot of people off of using it...sort of like Zune and now Windows 8. It's different than what they are used to...so they get upset and don't want to use it. The few folks that I could get to actually sit down and give it a shot for more than a week ended up loving it. Good old Mars... *sighs*

Quick piece of Trivia.

The reason the UI was named Mars was that it was originally intended to be a companion piece to Neptune...the OS project that was ended and sort of 'merged' into bits of Win9x and became Millennium.

I just used shortcut icons in IE and that was good enough for me... at that time tho we had a crappy monitor... lol.... but eventually got a better one and just used regular browsers even on it....

I really love server 2012 and windows 8 i really hated it back in DP but it's very nice now and I'm loving the new explorer ui, the new task manager, the new file transfer dialog, the proper multimonitor support, and most of all hyper-v is making a sexy desktop hypervisor... seriously.... no need for vmware workstation for that... I just now even got a linux vm within a linux vm on hyper-v and I never thought I would do that. LOL.... I alrleady almost got a windows server 2012 (host)>server 2012 (guest host or L1)>windows 7 (guest guest host or L2 SUCCESSFUL)>windows 7 (guest guest guest or L3 NOT WORKING SO FAR) going.... I'm very close to getting a vm within a vm within a vm!

So they don't want to build an x64 version of firefox but they find the time to do this? ROFL

They really know how to plan a product development, others could learn from them. Looking forward to altavista and yahoo firefox editions, i hope they'll integrate some banners as well, to improve my browsing experience.