• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,198 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 06 December 2012 - 21:27

What was Microsoft thinking? The software giant initiated a campaign on Twitter, dubbed #DroidRage, inviting Android users to share their "malware horror stories", only to have it backfire spectacularly shortly afterwards. A huge number of anti-Microsoft posts with the #WindowsRage hashtag appeared on Twitter and Google+, almost immediately.

The problem with the campaign, apart from the less-than-brilliant concept, is the timing. Criticism of Microsoft’s more recent products, such as Windows 8, Surface and Windows Phone 8, should have caused the company to lay low for a while. Instead, the firm unwittingly gave frustrated users of its new products a unified hashtag to rally behind.

More...

This, folks, is why you shouldn't try to trash the competition :pinch:

#2 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,480 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 21:47

More...

This, folks, is why you shouldn't try to trash the competition :pinch:

Well Microsoft shouldn't trash competition especially when they have seriously inferior product and eco-system. They should be silent until they grow up.

#3 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 06 December 2012 - 21:51

lol most of those posts are troll attempts. $100 says 9 outta 10 of those have never touched a WP8 or Surface.

#4 Xerax

Xerax

Flashbomb

• 1,640 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 21:53

I liked Microsoft more when they took the classy route and didn't bad-mouth everyone else.

#5 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 06 December 2012 - 22:06

lol most of those posts are troll attempts. $100 says 9 outta 10 of those have never touched a WP8 or Surface.

Since you just made those numbers up off the top of your head, I'll take that bet.

I liked Microsoft more when they took the classy route and didn't bad-mouth everyone else.

Seems it's the cool thing to do in marketing these days. In fact, it just seems like it's the cool thing to do period these days. People just can't be happy with what they like. They have to trash everything else and everyone else when they don't agree with their opinions. Marketing, politics, religions, really any opinion in general. We've become an incredibly intolerant nation and we love controversy. It's all quite pathetic if you ask me.

#6 Wyn6

Wyn6

Neowinian

• 775 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 925

Posted 06 December 2012 - 22:51

Well Microsoft shouldn't trash competition especially when they have seriously inferior product and eco-system. They should be silent until they grow up.

I agree with the first part of your statement, as I don't personally feel they need to go this route. It's like a political campaign. Mudslinging catapults at the ready. I disagree with the second part of your statement on a "seriously inferior" ecosystem. I'd like to know what makes you think this. As last I checked, MS has one of the most robust technology related ecosystems in the world and I would argue the number one technology related ecosystem in the world.

#7 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• 3,095 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 920

Posted 06 December 2012 - 22:54

who cares!

#8 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,512 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 06 December 2012 - 22:58

Not really #WindowsRage, but Microsoft picked a BAD partner in HTC to make Windows Phones. HTC has been nothing but junk, which does nothing but drag their image down too.

#9 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

• 7,319 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 23:00

Not really #WindowsRage, but Microsoft picked a BAD partner in HTC to make Windows Phones. HTC has been nothing but junk, which does nothing but drag their image down too.

The 8X has been seen a close contender for the 920 :s

#10 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• 3,009 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 06 December 2012 - 23:05

Negative marketing is never a good idea. Doesn't matter how good your product is.

Tell me how good your product is not how bad others are. It is the only way you'll get my respect.

#11 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 23:14

My HTC Arrive that I used until I snagged a Lumia 900 is now crying in the corner.

Gee thanks...as if he didn't have enough of an inferiority complex from being replaced :(

#12 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• 2,168 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 23:16

Negative marketing is never a good idea. Doesn't matter how good your product is.

Tell me how good your product is not how bad others are. It is the only way you'll get my respect.

I agree with this.

The problem with the campaign, apart from the less-than-brilliant concept, is the timing. Criticism of Microsoft’s more recent products, such as Windows 8, Surface and Windows Phone 8, should have caused the company to lay low for a while. Instead, the firm unwittingly gave frustrated users of its new products a unified hashtag to rally behind.

I do not agree with this. I've made it no secret ever since I got my WP8 Lumia 920 a little over two weeks ago, how happy I have been. I've also not let it be a secret that I still love android. But to say they should lay low, when they have such an amazing device is just asinine. As with any trolls/flaming/etc, the masses who do it, have generally never used the device, and are fueled by unwarranted "fanboyism."

Maybe the idea behind this marketing gimmick wasn't a good one, but to say they need to lay low because of something that is truly pretty awesome, is just dumb to say.

#13 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,441 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 00:37

If you have a good product that works well and really does blow the competition away, then let the product speak for itself...no trash talking is needed. And no, I do not call those "Smoked by Windows" stunts showing what WP8 can do. WP8 is more than posting pics to FB.

#14 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,512 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 00:48

My HTC Arrive that I used until I snagged a Lumia 900 is now crying in the corner.

Gee thanks...as if he didn't have enough of an inferiority complex from being replaced :(

Honestly, I hope I can continue to use my Titan II has a camera even after I get my Lumia. The 16MP camera can't be beat.

#15 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 00:52

If you have a good product that works well and really does blow the competition away, then let the product speak for itself...no trash talking is needed. And no, I do not call those "Smoked by Windows" stunts showing what WP8 can do. WP8 is more than posting pics to FB.

So true. Apparently Microsoft has little convinced in their own products.