#DroidRage Backfires - #WindowsRage Trends

What was Microsoft thinking? The software giant initiated a campaign on Twitter, dubbed #DroidRage, inviting Android users to share their "malware horror stories", only to have it backfire spectacularly shortly afterwards. A huge number of anti-Microsoft posts with the #WindowsRage hashtag appeared on Twitter and Google+, almost immediately.

The problem with the campaign, apart from the less-than-brilliant concept, is the timing. Criticism of Microsoft?s more recent products, such as Windows 8, Surface and Windows Phone 8, should have caused the company to lay low for a while. Instead, the firm unwittingly gave frustrated users of its new products a unified hashtag to rally behind.

More...

This, folks, is why you shouldn't try to trash the competition :pinch:

lol most of those posts are troll attempts. $100 says 9 outta 10 of those have never touched a WP8 or Surface.

• Like 2

lol most of those posts are troll attempts. $100 says 9 outta 10 of those have never touched a WP8 or Surface.

Since you just made those numbers up off the top of your head, I'll take that bet.

I liked Microsoft more when they took the classy route and didn't bad-mouth everyone else.

Seems it's the cool thing to do in marketing these days. In fact, it just seems like it's the cool thing to do period these days. People just can't be happy with what they like. They have to trash everything else and everyone else when they don't agree with their opinions. Marketing, politics, religions, really any opinion in general. We've become an incredibly intolerant nation and we love controversy. It's all quite pathetic if you ask me.

Well Microsoft shouldn't trash competition especially when they have seriously inferior product and eco-system. They should be silent until they grow up.

I agree with the first part of your statement, as I don't personally feel they need to go this route. It's like a political campaign. Mudslinging catapults at the ready. I disagree with the second part of your statement on a "seriously inferior" ecosystem. I'd like to know what makes you think this. As last I checked, MS has one of the most robust technology related ecosystems in the world and I would argue the number one technology related ecosystem in the world.

Not really #WindowsRage, but Microsoft picked a BAD partner in HTC to make Windows Phones. HTC has been nothing but junk, which does nothing but drag their image down too.

Not really #WindowsRage, but Microsoft picked a BAD partner in HTC to make Windows Phones. HTC has been nothing but junk, which does nothing but drag their image down too.

The 8X has been seen a close contender for the 920 :s

Negative marketing is never a good idea. Doesn't matter how good your product is.

Tell me how good your product is not how bad others are. It is the only way you'll get my respect.

• Like 4

My HTC Arrive that I used until I snagged a Lumia 900 is now crying in the corner.

Gee thanks...as if he didn't have enough of an inferiority complex from being replaced :(

Negative marketing is never a good idea. Doesn't matter how good your product is.

Tell me how good your product is not how bad others are. It is the only way you'll get my respect.

I agree with this.

The problem with the campaign, apart from the less-than-brilliant concept, is the timing. Criticism of Microsoft?s more recent products, such as Windows 8, Surface and Windows Phone 8, should have caused the company to lay low for a while. Instead, the firm unwittingly gave frustrated users of its new products a unified hashtag to rally behind.

I do not agree with this. I've made it no secret ever since I got my WP8 Lumia 920 a little over two weeks ago, how happy I have been. I've also not let it be a secret that I still love android. But to say they should lay low, when they have such an amazing device is just asinine. As with any trolls/flaming/etc, the masses who do it, have generally never used the device, and are fueled by unwarranted "fanboyism."

Maybe the idea behind this marketing gimmick wasn't a good one, but to say they need to lay low because of something that is truly pretty awesome, is just dumb to say.

If you have a good product that works well and really does blow the competition away, then let the product speak for itself...no trash talking is needed. And no, I do not call those "Smoked by Windows" stunts showing what WP8 can do. WP8 is more than posting pics to FB.

• Like 2

My HTC Arrive that I used until I snagged a Lumia 900 is now crying in the corner.

Gee thanks...as if he didn't have enough of an inferiority complex from being replaced :(

Honestly, I hope I can continue to use my Titan II has a camera even after I get my Lumia. The 16MP camera can't be beat.

If you have a good product that works well and really does blow the competition away, then let the product speak for itself...no trash talking is needed. And no, I do not call those "Smoked by Windows" stunts showing what WP8 can do. WP8 is more than posting pics to FB.

So true. Apparently Microsoft has little convinced in their own products.

Either that or Microsoft is desperate/scared. They are taking a big risk here hoping that 8 and really needs to make sure this takes off and does well. And yea, W8 sales are doing well but then again, this is also the year of the tablet. Tablet sales have been doing well for the major 3 all year. I like W8 on a tablet and if I buy another tab, I am probably going to get a W8 tablet. I like the idea of having full Windows around on a portable/touch device.

Honestly, I hope I can continue to use my Titan II has a camera even after I get my Lumia. The 16MP camera can't be beat.

If you snag a 920 you won't even want to touch the Titan II when it comes to pics. Unless you keep it in the glove box as a quick P&S for some reason.

The problem is that if you use those metrics then Apple has no confidence as they have trash talked all sorts of other devices in their quest to be cool.

Almost every tech company that is a big player in the computer fields, especially the 'Big 3' of Apple, Google, and Microsoft, have done this.

So what you're really saying is that no one is confident.

as for me it's use what you like and feel good about it..... I use android and like it and I don't bash people that use iphones and windows phones and blackberries and tell them thier stuff sucks.... if they show me a cool feature about it I'll go "cool" and sometimes the features are cool. I'm very unbiased when it comes to tech. I like a bit of all the phone OSes and I hate parts of them all about the same.

Even though the Lumia only has an 8.7 MP?

Megapixels is just a measure of the pixels in the image.

That doesn't make the image better necessarily...it just makes it larger in terms of physical dimensions.

If that were the case then your average 16MP P&S Black Friday special from WalMart would be better than an 8MP DSLR from Canon.

There are a lot of factors that go into what makes a great camera. The MP is just the size part of the equation.

Think of it in terms of PC parts. Is a 2TB hard drive always better than a 1TB drive, or do the other parts make a difference in determining the quality?

The camera that is built-in to the Lumia 920 has several features that previous phone cameras have either been missing, or has rarely been implemented. This includes the optical (instead of digital) image stabilization, back-side illumination,

Here's a comparison shot from WPCentral for Titan II (left) vs Lumia 920 (right):

920TitanOutdoor3.jpg

Also here's a night shot with the Lumia 920 (top) vs Titan II (bottom)

920TitanNight1.jpg

The 920 has a very, very nice camera on it, for a phone.

I hope my 3rd XBox will work more than 1 year #WindowsRage

Having worked on multiple Xbox teams I can say that if multiple consoles are dying like that it's almost always something 'environmental'.

Note: I'm not saying this is 100% or that earlier models didn't have some issues, but at 7-years in if you're only on a 3rd box and each has lasted less than a year that points to you owning newer revisions, and the slim models do not have the same issue that earlier models did.

So if a 360 S is having a problem...then there's something else there going on. I would be more than happy to discuss it off-thread in order to troubleshoot possible environmental causes.

hmmmm my ZTE Warp's got the wierd light thingy too:

there's extra halos around some lights....

post-361542-0-92005000-1354851689.jpg

Having worked on multiple Xbox teams I can say that if multiple consoles are dying like that it's almost always something 'environmental'.

Note: I'm not saying this is 100% or that earlier models didn't have some issues, but at 7-years in if you're only on a 3rd box and each has lasted less than a year that points to you owning newer revisions, and the slim models do not have the same issue that earlier models did.

So if a 360 S is having a problem...then there's something else there going on. I would be more than happy to discuss it off-thread in order to troubleshoot possible environmental causes.

Nah my first one lasted something like 2 year before i got a RRoD. Was able to send it for repair.

Then i decided to sell the repaired console and buy a new elite model.

This one lasted for around 3 months. The HDMI port stoped working for no reason. Was still able to connect and play it using normal RCA cable.

Sent it for repair and then sold it.

I just bought a 3rd one the new smaller model to play Halo 4 (and gave Skyrim for free here). If this one can't last until i buy a next gen console i'm gonna go with sony next gen.

Almost everyone i know had at the minimum 1 RRoD (some had 2). Nothing environmental it's a known and well documented problem of the first model. The HDMI port problem of the elite model is a well known problem too. I found lot of posts on forums about it when i did my search to know what was going on.

Cross fingers and touch wood.

hmmmm my ZTE Warp's got the wierd light thingy too:

there's extra halos around some lights....

post-361542-0-92005000-1354851689.jpg

It's a way for your phone to tell you to get rid of that pikachu figurine.

With the new one being a 360 S no knocking should be needed. They've made some design changes that completely negate the earlier issues you had with the GPU and HANA chip. :)