Nintendo Land and why I feel Nintendo has lost me

wii u nintendo land game play nintendo

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 17 December 2012 - 22:10

Nintendoland is a barely more than a collection of tech demos, it's not meant to be blowing your mind, nor an essential purchase. If you wish to see a collection of great gameplay ideas from Nintendo's finest, go play Super Mario Galaxy 2. It's like the epotimine of "fun" - not all games have to be fun these days per sé (whether it's story or spectacle or whatnot), but Nintendo mastered it there. And in fact, they seem to focus more on pure gameplay than sheer spectacle and story than most other gaming studios. Most of their games are about games just being games, if that makes sense. Not interactive movies or whatnot.

And in reference to the guy above, little about the Wii U screams casual gaming. Not in it's advertising nor it's overall gaming portfolio - at most there's a focus on social gaming. But at the moment, that vast majority of it's games are aimed at gamers.

#17 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 17 December 2012 - 23:17

And in reference to the guy above, little about the Wii U screams casual gaming. Not in it's advertising nor it's overall gaming portfolio - at most there's a focus on social gaming. But at the moment, that vast majority of it's games are aimed at gamers.

Unfortunately all the non social/casual wii games are or would be better on a different console or without the pad.

This might change, or it might not, and maybe it shouldn't. I don't think the Wii needs to compete with Sony and MS for the core gamers.

#18 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 17 December 2012 - 23:22

I looked at new super mario bros. wii and it looked awful, absolutely nothing like SMW.
Which is why I'm glad I've got a SNES, a flashcart and loads of SMW hacks :D

#19 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 17 December 2012 - 23:43

There was a list that compared all the games coming out in 2013 and what platform they were coming out on and the WiiU had barely any of the AAA games that the PC, X360 and PS3 have. And before too long developers will have moved onto the next gen of consoles, which won't be able to be ported to the WiiU because it's not powerful enough. It's going to struggle to get anywhere unless Nintendo can convince publishers that the WiiU is a serious platform. I can't imagine it helps that the WiiU has the smallest storage space of all current consoles, as that basically kills of digital distribution as a viable for the platform (aside from very basic arcade-style games).

Nintendo should have had some really strong, non-casual exclusive launch titles. Unfortunately the vast majority of titles were multiplatform titles available elsewhere. There's not much point buying an expensive new system just to play the same games you could have bought for your existing console.

#20 Alley Cat

Alley Cat

Neowinian

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:10

The Nintendo 64 was a good system, but it had bottle necks, it could have alot better.

I think the Gamebox faired well, and I understand the Wii's weak specs. If I was in charge of Nintendo, I would release the Wii U with slightly better specs, AND it give it an upgrade path, like a 2nd APU connector, to be released about 2 years from now, that way the 2nd generation of Wii U games has double the CPU and GPU power, adding some RAM too.

Kind of like the 8MB upgrade of the N64, and the upgrade path Sega had planned for the Genesis/Megadrive, but never put into action.

Also, the Wii and Wii U needs WAY BETTER 3rd party support. I have one of the "Driver" games, the controls make the game unplayable. And I not even done with the tuteriol yet.

Sadly, Both Sony and Nintendo is slipping into oblivion. Xbox 360 is too resticted, if 360 ran a version of Windows, I would buy it. IF I can plug keyboard and mouse and ran any software. I am excited about the OUYA gaming console, and the possibily of a STEAM console.

#21 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:18

I looked at new super mario bros. wii and it looked awful, absolutely nothing like SMW.

you were looking at the wrong game then :p there's a big difference between Super Mario Bros. Wii and Super Mario Bros. U

#22 OP Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:21

We've had nearly a whole console cycle of sequels, rehashes, and remakes and the only place you can point to about things being samey is nintendo? Really? You can't be serious.

I can be serious because Nintendo used to be King in game-play and now that game-play is just more of the same from the 1990's. They haven't furthered game-play in a long time. Sure the Wii came out with the new way to play, but even then the games became samey. The game-play wasn't really enhanced. It was just 1990's style game-play with 2006 motion controls.

This is why I think Wii was popular at first because of the new style of game-play but then it collapsed because the game-play was all the same and it was somewhat limited. That crowd them moved to iOS and Android games.

Nintendo adds new ways to play games, but the game-play itself is stale and from the 1990's. Nintendo used to be King of game-play above everyone else. I have to say that it is disappointing.

#23 johnnyq3

johnnyq3

Neowinian

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:26

The Wii's controller was genuinely innovative. The WiiU's simply isn't on that scale and the way a lot of developers are choosing to use it looks more irritating than enjoyable. But the biggest issue is that the hardware is chronically dated out of the door - the X360 and PS3 are already really showing their age and yet Nintendo has chosen to release the WiiU based on the same tech, with games again only running at 720p. The WiiU is a budget console for casual gaming than just happens to have been released a year before Microsoft releases its next-gen console.

First off the WiiU from what people have been able to find out is running last year's GPU, and second off there is a short list of games that can run at 720p natively, ie: Halo 4, and a few other games. It has 2GB(1GB for games and 1GB for the System OS, which is probably also where the Pad's stuff is handled) of RAM where as the Xbox 360 has 512MB total, and the PS3 has 512MB (256 split). Now I'm not saying that will be on par with the next generation, but it is a good step for developers that are making games for it. It has a lot of power considering the price, I personally wish it had a bit more but then again Nintendo wanted to make the system affordable and profitable, which is something that Nintendo has only really done right out the door.

#24 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:36

First off the WiiU from what people have been able to find out is running last year's GPU, and second off there is a short list of games that can run at 720p natively, ie: Halo 4, and a few other games. It has 2GB(1GB for games and 1GB for the System OS, which is probably also where the Pad's stuff is handled) of RAM where as the Xbox 360 has 512MB total, and the PS3 has 512MB (256 split). Now I'm not saying that will be on par with the next generation, but it is a good step for developers that are making games for it. It has a lot of power considering the price, I personally wish it had a bit more but then again Nintendo wanted to make the system affordable and profitable, which is something that Nintendo has only really done right out the door.

Reportedly weaker CPU than the 360. Half of that 2GB is reserved for the OS at this point. The extra graphics power is likely abused when driving two screens.

I wanted the Wii U but everything I've heard about it sounds like a giant cluster****, so I'm passing.

#25 OP Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:41

Have you actually played any of these games or even a Wii-U? Im not defending Ninty as in a few ways i can relate to what your saying, nor have I played a Wii-U myself.

But as stated above your being a bit quick to judge and rule out stuff, videos are not evocative of the final game or the gameplay experience. The Wii has some amazing games. Galaxys and 2 are just OMG so so so so soooooo good, and easily hold candles to SM64.

Also saying they havent done anything to change gameplay is total tosh, Wii Nun-Chuck, Wii-U pad? Id say they change and add a good element to gameplay. Hell the Wii-U even brought us a new type of gameplay in that only 1 person has the tablet and 3 others have controllers, go look at the Metroid demo game they showed with this, totally new type of gameplay and experience.

Nintendo has changed the way you play the games with a different controller, but the game-play itself is old and outdated.

Example of this: The Wii for example used motion controls, but it didn't use it in a way that was really interesting, they used a lot of pointer controls which light gun games had back in the 1980's and the game-play was just the same (House of the Dead for example). The game-play in the way the game is played hasn't really changed that much if at all. It's still the same games that we had in the late 80's and early 90's just with new controllers.

New controllers are fine, but I need to see game-play that has evolved and deepened. I don't mean the game has to be violent, it should be more like Pixar quality in that the game-play is fun for kids and adults and Nintendo just doesn't do that for me.

They take kids games with kid game-play from the 1990's and combine it with new controllers and call it a game. That is not what I want, I want something more interesting than that. I want a deeper (it doesn't have to be violent) experience in game-play itself.

Pixar != Kids movies (Adults and kids can both enjoy them)
Nintendo = Kids games (Adults get bored in minutes, Kids can play for a little bit and get bored by the repetitive game-play)

Nintendo hasn't really changed that much, they offer new gadgets now for controllers, but they don't improve the game-play or experience from something more than what I played in the 1990's.

So, I am saddened because I used to love Nintendo, but they have really lost their edge in game-play.

#26 Veiva

Veiva

Neowinian

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:44

Reportedly weaker CPU than the 360. Half of that 2GB is reserved for the OS at this point. The extra graphics power is likely abused when driving two screens.

I wanted the Wii U but everything I've heard about it sounds like a giant cluster****, so I'm passing.

The CPU is not weaker than the 360. It's a Pentium 3 vs Pentium 4 ordeal here. They're different.

#27 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:44

Wahh wahh wahh "kids games" blah, blah, blah...

#28 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:48

uh huh, you obviosuly didn't play it then... because its exactly like the old SMW

#29 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:53

The CPU is not weaker than the 360. It's a Pentium 3 vs Pentium 4 ordeal here. They're different.

The developers have said it's weaker, and I'm not going to argue with them. Prove to me that it's not weaker and we'll be in business.

Also the Pentium 4 was crap.

#30 Veiva

Veiva

Neowinian

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:01

The developers have said it's weaker, and I'm not going to argue with them. Prove to me that it's not weaker and we'll be in business.

Also the Pentium 4 was crap.

The Xenon (360 processor) is the Pentium 4 in my above example...

You can't judge two different processor architectures so easily. Both the 360's and the Wii U's processors are probably about roughly equal overall.

For reference, the processor in the Wii U is a PPC 750CL derivative with three cores clocked at around 1.24 GHz.