Neowin.net Minecraft Server (Old Server)

Message added by Brandon H,

Come join the new Minecraft server discussion thread :)

If you need plugin help for setting up and economy and anything else is be happy to help.  I personally run a mc server and have for several years. I’ve had trouble bringing in people my self, if there was some people who stream on twitch or YouTube that we could get to play it may bring in more players as well but that does also bring in randos and griefers 

26 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

was that while it was vanilla only or back when we did plugins before? pure vanilla it does make sense because without keep inventory your items just spew on the ground and disappear if you can't get back to them quick enough. I always played with the gravestone mod so Death Chests would be a great alternative on a plugin vanilla server IMO :) It's up to the majority though.

I was thinking about asking our writers to do an article about the server on the front page but my fear with that is it would draw in the randoms, troublemakers, one post wanderers, and not much else.

We'll have to think about things we can try.

It's been a recurring setting on each iteration of the server for a while now. This server has been 100% vanilla since the start.

Items spewing onto the floor isn't necessarily that bad, as long as the server doesn't clear them all up every couple of minutes (which the server is now doing). Normal servers only clear dropped items from loaded chunks, which means you can die, and return to the death point hours later and get your items back.

As for drawing in randoms, trouble makers etc. Well, we only allow people with a decent history on Neowin, or who are vouched for by other players. We've had very little problems with new players in the past because of rules like that. I think the worst we had was one kid who came on and then immediately started to tell us how to run a server. He didn't last long.

1 hour ago, Louisifer said:

who makes 2 off buttons :iiam:

the afk timer plugin that you turned off is just for marking people afk in the chat.

the idle kick is actually vanilla so its timer is just in the server.properties file lol :)

1 hour ago, Slugsie said:

It's been a recurring setting on each iteration of the server for a while now. This server has been 100% vanilla since the start.

Items spewing onto the floor isn't necessarily that bad, as long as the server doesn't clear them all up every couple of minutes (which the server is now doing). Normal servers only clear dropped items from loaded chunks, which means you can die, and return to the death point hours later and get your items back.

It's been modded and/or bukkit a couple of times but hasn't in awhile (became a pain during the DMCA take downs of bukkit fiasco. it's gotten better again since then though thankfully).

clear lag is a necessary evil. dropped items increase lag which is already a problem on a lower end server, especially for international players as stated by a couple recently in this thread.

even in unloaded chunks those dropped items remain in memory potentially increasing lag. that's where the clear lag plugin comes in handy.

As for drawing in randoms, trouble makers etc. Well, we only allow people with a decent history on Neowin, or who are vouched for by other players. We've had very little problems with new players in the past because of rules like that. I think the worst we had was one kid who came on and then immediately started to tell us how to run a server. He didn't last long.

yeah and that's my fear. the whitelist has done us well but if we try to promote the server on front page or something this thread may get swarmed/spammed by one post wanderers that want whitelisted just because.

12 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

It's been modded and/or bukkit a couple of times but hasn't in awhile (became a pain during the DMCA take downs of bukkit fiasco. it's gotten better again since then though thankfully).

Sorry, by 'this server' I really meant this world. I know previous worlds had bukkit.

To my mind if we're going to start adding mods to the server then we need stuff that improves game play, not just stuff that makes running/maintaining the server easier. That's more likely to draw in new players. I'm not up on current server packs, but I'm sure there is something akin to the Tekkit pack of old, which was fun. Downsides of course are they put more strain on the server, and would necessitate a world reset.

yeah modded servers are fun but do put more strain on the server and the worlds are a bit more prone to corruption. We'd have to downgrade to probably 1.12.2 as well. 1.13+ has some major forge overhauls and the modding community has been slow to adapt from the looks of things.

quite a bit can be done with just plugins though now too. the warps and home commands are just the essentials. there are minor gameplay altering plugins too. was thinking about adding wands or something. economy is another thing that can change gameplay quite a bit depending on how it's utilized.

If we would like to try mods and go back to 1.12 I could set us up some neat stuff; could keep mods minor so not to put so much strain on the server but could also have a multi-world setup do things like a normal survival world and then a portal to a skyblock world, things like that.

when I was managing the server before I wanted to be able to have 2 servers running; one vanilla and one modded. the issue we ran into though was we'd need another port opened in the firewall and router but couldn't find who we needed to talk to for that. otherwise I'd go that route.

unloaded chunks save the items to the chunk, they don't remain in memory once the chunk is unloaded, thats why when you die you have infinite time to collect your items if you respawn far away. only when you reload the chunk does the 5 min despawn timer continue.

The server works lag free internationally too, from the US to Europe. those in Australia will always get some lag due to their location, its not based on the items on the ground trust me.  me and crisp used to have fun in the deserts and the server still ran fine after 80,000 tnt leaves sand everywhere :whistle:

The only problem the server has issues with, is when everybody goes off generating chunks at he same time every time those in us/uk complain of lag is usually after patch Tuesday and that became more of an issue recently because the OS drive was full causing it to fail installing a few times and thats what took it down and Timan had to rescue it. (I cleared out the downloads folder so it shouldn't fail anytime soon)

18 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

unloaded chunks save the items to the chunk, they don't remain in memory once the chunk is unloaded, thats why when you die you have infinite time to collect your items if you respawn far away. only when you reload the chunk does the 5 min despawn timer continue.

The server works lag free internationally too, from the US to Europe. those in Australia will always get some lag due to their location, its not based on the items on the ground trust me.  me and crisp used to have fun in the deserts and the server still ran fine after 80,000 tnt leaves sand everywhere :whistle:

The only problem the server has issues with, is when everybody goes off generating chunks at he same time every time those in us/uk complain of lag is usually after patch Tuesday and that became more of an issue recently because the OS drive was full causing it to fail installing a few times and thats what took it down and Timan had to rescue it. (I cleared out the downloads folder so it shouldn't fail anytime soon)

haha that shows how long I've been away from minecraft; I knew the despawn timer paused while unloaded but you may be right about the items not remaining in memory while the chunk is unloaded too.

that's a lot of TNT lol and there's where a manual /clearlag command comes in handy too :rofl:

the timer just helps keep things running constantly smoothly from my past experience; clears blocks/items dropped by endermen and other mobs that die too; not just player created.

edit: reminds me of a time I edited a single player world to replace all dirt/grass/stone with TNT. I got on the save and lava next to one of the blocks underground instantly set off the TNT. I heard the sizzle then everything just froze up. crashed not only Java but my entire computer. it froze up and I had to power off and reboot. I laughed  for a good 5 minutes :rofl:

2 new plugins added to the server

• TnTRegen: regenerates blocks after explosions (configured for all explosion types except user set TnT)
  • SimpleAdditions: Adds a few convenient things
    • Auto Crop replant when harvested
    • Crop trampling is disabled
    • Can hold infinite torches in a single inventory slot
    • Villagers have a small chance to drop items such as emeralds
    • Will auto equip armor pieces in your inventory when the equipped piece breaks

can we please disable the plugin that deletes items on the ground. It deletes boats in the water and is really annoying when collecting items (like harvesting sand) as if you don't pick the items up before it runs, it deletes them. If you happen to drop something as it runs, it will delete those too. I almost lost my pickaxe like that.

I'll check the config to see if I can exclude boats and a few other items. It's not going to be disabled entirely though as it helps smooth some things out.

18 hours ago, Brandon H said:

2 new plugins added to the server

• TnTRegen: regenerates blocks after explosions (configured for all explosion types except user set TnT)
  • SimpleAdditions: Adds a few convenient things
    • Auto Crop replant when harvested
    • Crop trampling is disabled
    • Can hold infinite torches in a single inventory slot
    • Villagers have a small chance to drop items such as emeralds
    • Will auto equip armor pieces in your inventory when the equipped piece breaks

Auto crop, I like it. Works on right click for anyone who's wondering.

Crop trampling, wasn't really a problem, but ok.

Infinite torches. Doesn't seem to work. I can only hold 64 in a slot.

Villagers dropping stuff is somewhat negated by the auto clear up.

Auto equip isn't much use to me, so no comment.

58 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I'll check the config to see if I can exclude boats and a few other items. It's not going to be disabled entirely though as it helps smooth some things out.

It's very annoying for multiple reasons. I've been toying with some item transport systems on a private world (uses water columns to transport items up and along), and was looking to implement them on this server. But the auto clear up will break it. It's removed my boat from the dock. It also removes minecarts.

Plus it's messages clog up the chat window.

I'm skeptical that it really makes any difference on our server. It rarely clears up more than a couple of items, which the server will normally clear up after 5 minutes (I think it's 5) anyway. I find it much more annoying than any potential benefit it might provide.

the vanilla item clear only clears items in loaded chunks so if no one is in the chunk the timer stops and the dropped items just remain; that's where Clearlag can come in handy. Say you're messing with explosives and break hundreds of blocks making that area terribly laggy to go into. ClearLag will activate and clear it up even in no one is nearby.

I've also seen dropped items add up from mobs dying etc.

but yeah, it really shouldn't be clearing boats/minecarts. I'm going to mess with it when I get home to see about excluding any user made items/tools and if not I'll just disable it. I've seen where it really helps other servers but on a smaller server like ours it's not the biggest use it seems. If anything I'll just disable the timer and leave the manual command in case an OP needs to make use of it.

Auto crop, I like it. Works on right click for anyone who's wondering.

Crop trampling, wasn't really a problem, but ok.

Infinite torches. Doesn't seem to work. I can only hold 64 in a slot.

Villagers dropping stuff is somewhat negated by the auto clear up.

Auto equip isn't much use to me, so no comment.

Crop trampling I personally find annoying mostly from mobs walking into them so it was a pleasant addition on the plugin :)

Interesting that Infinite torches doesn't work I didn't have time to test that part. there might be a command needed to enable it. In any case that's 4 out of 5 things working so I'd call that a win :) there are a couple other things that plugin can do too but they're a bit unneeded and/or OP so I disabled them. It's a neat little combo plugin though.

29 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

yeah it really shouldn't be clearing boats/minecarts. I'm going to mess with it when I get home to see about excluding any user made items/tools and if not I'll just disable it. I've seen where it really helps other servers but on a smaller server like ours it's not the biggest use it seems. If anything I'll just disable the timer and leave the manual command in case an OP needs to make use of it.

yes, perhaps having it as a manual command for OPs to use would be useful, but in all the time that I've played on the server, I've never found items on the ground being an issue. Especially at the frequency that the current timer runs.

1 minute ago, illumination said:

Especially at the frequency that the current timer runs.

it's set to default right now. I haven't delved into that config file yet. Unlike some other plugins, the config is rather large for ClearLag so I've been putting off reviewing it.

ok I've adjusted ClearLag so it only activates once an hour and disabled boats, minecarts, and a couple other things.

If it's still a problem let me know and I'll just disable the timer leaving the command for OPs

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Brandon H said:

ok I've adjusted ClearLag so it only activates once an hour and disabled boats, minecarts, and a couple other things.

If it's still a problem let me know and I'll just disable the timer leaving the command for OPs

thanks!

OK, so what happened to the Ender Chests? Mine is now apparently an 'Ender Chest Level 3'. Which I'm sure is really great. Except everything I had in it is gone, and it was pretty valuable stuff.

Hows about we stop changing things on the server without asking the players first, and understanding what the effects of the changes might be? All these changes recently without any consultation of the people who actually use the server is getting quite annoying TBH.

added a plugin the make it larger; didn't expect it to clear existing ender chests. that's a pretty bad side effect, I apologize. I'll disable that plugin and see if it restores your items.

5 hours ago, Slugsie said:

I'll check when I get home tonight. Didn't look like it made the chest any larger though. Still had the normal single chest capacity.

level 3 gave it one extra row. I've disabled it now though so hopefully this restored the vanilla storage items. If not let one of us know what items you had in there and we'll get you duplicates when you're online.