Neowin.net Minecraft Server (Old Server)

Message added by Brandon H,

Come join the new Minecraft server discussion thread :)

Thanks for the path there william

I don't seem to be able to connect to the server. I get to where it says 'Encrypting...' and then eventually get a 'Failed to connect to server. Timed out'. Is anyone else experiencing issues connecting?

44 minutes ago, illumination said:

I don't seem to be able to connect to the server. I get to where it says 'Encrypting...' and then eventually get a 'Failed to connect to server. Timed out'. Is anyone else experiencing issues connecting?

It seems like it crashed while saving when slugsie logged off, its back up now, we'll find out later if Slugsie still has his character or not. :D 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

It seems like it crashed while saving when slugsie logged off, its back up now, we'll find out later if Slugsie still has his character or not. :D 

Thanks, I managed to get on now.

3 hours ago, Louisifer said:

Oh sh*t, oh sh*t oh sh*t. 😛

While i was on a sync'd up some new nether portals for homes that i could find and had a portal, now you wont arrive at Steves base every time. :D I did Spawn, Nuculi, Jessica and mine. I added tunnels between them made it a little bit more open so you aren't just greeted with a wall.

I couldn't find your portal Slugsie but I'm assuming you are far enough out that yours would spawn right anyway.

My character is fine. 😄

While I am a fair way out, my portal didn't originally link back correctly. But when the Nether was reset I think I was one of the first ones on and as a result it does link properly now.

• Like 2

Looks like the server has crapped out again.

It's been very unstable lately. I've been 'Timed Out' a lot more than normal.

9 minutes ago, Slugsie said:

Looks like the server has crapped out again.

It's been very unstable lately. I've been 'Timed Out' a lot more than normal.

I'll update the paper build again tonight to see if that improves stability.

it's probably a combination of things at fault since it's new major version of Minecraft. could be one of the plugins that haven't updated yet too; I'll see what the error log says if it's still up.

Yeah server has been unstable for about a week, being kicked, stuck on encrypting while loading. as for the clear dropped items, i thoguht if you died you kept your items on you, well i do, so can we have it back on please, its easier than making a trash can for unwanted items, i just chuck them in the water or ground if I don't want them :)

Please, no, the clear dropped items is just annoying. Dropped stuff gets cleared after a few minutes if the chunk is loaded anyway, and if the chunk isn't loaded there is no performance issue. Plus it's warning messages are just spam in the chat log.

If you really don't want something it's super easy to just drop it and leave it. Or have a lava pit. 

7 minutes ago, Slugsie said:

I still can't seem to get on the server, was it kicked, or does it need another kick?

sorry, I didn't get out of work until late yesterday so completely forgot to give it a kick.

I'll grab it tonight or @Louisifer if you want to give it a kick sooner do me a favor and save the logs to the desktop and I'll look over them and update everything tonight 🙂 

35 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I'll grab it tonight or @Louisifer if you want to give it a kick sooner do me a favor and save the logs to the desktop and I'll look over them and update everything tonight 🙂 

I saved it to desktop, theres logs for every other day in the logs folder, most of the recent ones are it complaining that the server is 0/10/20 seconds behind and creating thread dumps or complaining about dirt blocks :iiam:

I couldn't see any specific reason reason for it to freeze so maybe this is just one of the bad builds. Server is back up now

1 minute ago, Louisifer said:

I saved it to desktop, theres logs for every other day in the logs folder, most of the recent ones are it complaining that the server is 0/10/20 seconds behind and creating thread dumps or complaining about dirt blocks :iiam:

I couldn't see any specific reason reason for it to freeze so maybe this is just one of the bad builds. Server is back up now

maybe our world is just getting too big for the server to handle with how much RAM it has. I'm also not sure if maybe 1.16.x is just more resource intensive than previous versions.

For how many are usually on at a time the ram is fine, its handled 10 players at a time before, its main area it falls behind on is cpu power, after people calm down with exploring the cpu issue mostly goes away. Vanilla servers work perfectly fine and can be left running for months without maintenance. its the modded servers and their plugins that add extra taxation to the system 

3 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

For how many are usually on at a time the ram is fine, its handled 10 players at a time before, its main area it falls behind on is cpu power, after people calm down with exploring the cpu issue mostly goes away. Vanilla servers work perfectly fine and can be left running for months without maintenance. its the modded servers and their plugins that add extra taxation to the system 

yeah the XENON CPUs are nice but it looks like this sever may have quite the older model.

Plugins don't take nearly as much extra resources that mods do but there is still some extra headway that's true; especially one like worldedit due to its versatility.

I was thinking more about how the modded servers add extra code into everything to allow for plugins to integrate, one day i'll have to check out all the new data packs now they have had long enough to mature and see how much plugin stuff can be handled by vanilla. that'll be the dream, no waiting on 3rd party servers, just drop and go on release days \o/

I was thinking more about how the modded servers add extra code into everything to allow for plugins to integrate, one day i'll have to check out all the new data packs now they have had long enough to mature and see how much plugin stuff can be handled by vanilla. that'll be the dream, no waiting on 3rd party servers, just drop and go on release days \o/

wish Minecraft just had native mod/plugin support. Mojang has been promising for years but just hasn't happened.

the little things like sending teleport requests and being able to goto day without everyone on the server having to sleep just make sense to have for a social server. then there's convenience plugins such as timber and auto crop harvesting on right click that are just nice to have 🙂

21 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

wish Minecraft just had native mod/plugin support. Mojang has been promising for years but just hasn't happened.🙂

Thats what the data packs are, replacing the current system of either jamming your code into the server/client jar or needing a modded server like forge/bukkit/paper/etc. They allow you to write scripts for the server and have assets(textures/full replacement with a 3d model) that can be distributed to the clients.

If you've ever seen servers like nopixel with their custom mario kart gamemodes do stuff without modding the client.. thats how its done. its just a big can of worms that none of us have really wanted to tackle yet :D most we've done was the mobs drop heads data pack a few years ago

Thats what the data packs are, replacing the current system of either jamming your code into the server/client jar or needing a modded server like forge/bukkit/paper/etc. They allow you to write scripts for the server and have assets(textures/full replacement with a 3d model) that can be distributed to the clients.

If you've ever seen servers like nopixel with their custom mario kart gamemodes do stuff without modding the client.. thats how its done. its just a big can of worms that none of us have really wanted to tackle yet :D most we've done was the mobs drop heads data pack a few years ago

oh neat; didn't know about that. always thought those were bukkit servers with custom non-published plugins.

9 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

most we've done was the mobs drop heads data pack a few years ago

Heh, I didn't realise that was a mod, but I have been wondering why I've not gotten any heads for such a long time. 😉

Anyway, thanks for kicking the server.

I did quite enjoy decorating my base with severed heads. I've had to make do with the flags dropped by raiding parties.