• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:44

So I just got a WiiU as an early xmas present for us from the GF.

So far I really like the console as I expected, but as I expected there are some "drawbacks" as well.

Everyone says how great the controller is and how wrong anyone who says it's not has never tried it. Well now I have tried it and my experiences as far as ergonomy are not that rosy, I have fairly big hands. the only controls I can reach comfortably on the controller is the sticks ZL/ZR, I can reach the R and L buttons as well by holding far less comfortably. with index fingers on the ZL/ZR buttons.

The direction pad and YXBA buttons are much to far down to use effectively, B I can barely hit at all and in Black Ops II I usually hit A instead of B because of the terrible placement. also I don't understand the decision to not make the triggers analog... The Handle bumps on the bottom that's supposed t make it easy to hold/grip are also much to small for me and does absolutely NOTHING. they'd need to be 2-3 times as big at least to have any effect.

My GF on the other hand she thinks the whole thing is to big and can't hold it comfortably.

So, so far It's not working out for big or small hands very well.

As for the Screen, the ONLY real practical use for it I've seen so far is in Maria and being able to "disconnect" the game from the TV. I've seen no games make good use for it in any other why that couldn't have been done better by just using the screen on the TV. though I love being able to play Mario on just the screen. the menu system with the split between the pad and the TV also feels unnatural and unnecessarily... uh... not complicated but... gimmicky and just ... unnecessary. Rayman legends does make good use of the controller in how you control some of the level, however that has nothing to do with the screen and just the motion of the controller. the touch controls, don't really add anything to the game. I mean if you're buying a Rayman/platform game, then you want to play a platform game, not click other stuff while the computer does the playing.

Also patching, this console has been the worst experience for me as far as patching goes, not only did we have to wait for the huge first start patch. but EVERY game has had a patch, and my console patch experience so far is purely 360, which downloads and applies game patches in seconds. that can not be said for the WiiU. it takes quite a bit of time to both download and apply game patches. Room for improvement here, but luckily patches shouldn't be happening to often.

As for games.
Mario U is of course awesome, good old Mario game play, just plain fun, though not something I'll play for hours on end at a time, but I can put it short to long sessions every now and then. and I can just play it on the pad when I'm a bit bored doing other stuff. Was a bit hard to get into due to the controllers and bad ergonomy at the start, but I can cope now. but I would have played a lot better with a 360 style layout, that's for sure. It's also weird that you can't play multiple people with one person using the pad, but everyone has to use a wii remote. and the Wii remote is a horrible control for the game. bad button placements, ever worse ergonomy, and you have o shake it to do the spin.... seriously... that's just unplayable. I hope the pro controller works with it instead.

Cod BO II is ... well it's Black Ops II. doesn't make much use of the pad, other than the ability to display the game on it, good on them.

Tekken Tag, is pretty much just Tekken, doesn't really use the controller, suffers a bit from the bad ergonomy of the controller. probably better with the Pro controllers. we haven't played this much as it was primarily got for us to play together. and they where out of pro controllers.

Overall I'm loving the console, but nothing has rally knocked me back as super impressive over the 360. and there are some performance issues here and there. But it's got Mario and it'll have Zelda at some point, that alone makes it great :) haven't tried Nintendoland yet as I haven't seen much point with just the pad and a remote. Probably give it a whirl when I get more tired of Mario :)

Also need to figure out a way to stick the sensor bar to the bottom of the TV. but the tv is to this for the glue pads to work, and the table under it is FAR below the tv with the tv hung on the wall. and while placing it on top of the Kinect sensor seemed like a good idea, that didn't work very well since the Kinect lights confused the remote and made it all jerky and weird.

#2 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:25

Overall I'm loving the console, but nothing has rally knocked me back as super impressive over the 360. and there are some performance issues here and there. But it's got Mario and it'll have Zelda at some point, that alone makes it great :) haven't tried Nintendoland yet as I haven't seen much point with just the pad and a remote. Probably give it a whirl when I get more tired of Mario :)

(Y) +1

#3 OP HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:11

Oh one thing that's really stupid. Nintendo has it's European head quarters in Germany and have decided to follow German law across all of Europe, which is stupid in itself and possibly "illegal" anyway.

Well German has decided that violent and sexual content can only be viewed after 23 at night and before 3 or so at night. This means that not only can I not display the details for ZombiU at this point in time on the eShop. I can't buy the game either. :facepalm:

It also baffles me why, in the eShop, I can't use the triggers or anything to move between the screenshots for a game, but instead I have to click B, then flick left to mark the X, then click A to close it so I can navigate to the next pic and click A to open... I'm sure this is something they will change in a future update. But seriously. this shouldn't be this complicated at this point in time. it's not a hard thing to make or fix and it shouldn't have been that badly designed to start with.

on a positive not though, I like how you can enter the store on "top" of the game you're playing. to bad there's nothing in the store yet. but I like that :)

#4 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 16:00

Oh one thing that's really stupid. Nintendo has it's European head quarters in Germany and have decided to follow German law across all of Europe, which is stupid in itself and possibly "illegal" anyway.

Well German has decided that violent and sexual content can only be viewed after 23 at night and before 3 or so at night. This means that not only can I not display the details for ZombiU at this point in time on the eShop. I can't buy the game either. :facepalm:

Wait what?!?!?!?!? WTF?!

:/ I wonder what has Nintendo been smoking lately....

#5 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 23 December 2012 - 18:19

Hawkman where do you live cause Nintendo TV is now out for the system it be nice to get your view on Nintendo Tv after a few days of using it i have seen some reviews already and most love it even if some stuff wont be comming till early next year for it . also have you tried out Zombie U . also since most of the games are ports beside zombie U i am sure down the road with Games being made for the Wii U from ground up will really shine and look better over anything else and or games that start on Wii U then are ported to other systems

#6 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

Posted 23 December 2012 - 18:24

Have you tried any of your old Wii games on it? I just want to know if it will make those games look better. Part of why I didnt buy many Wii games is because they look so horrible on a 55inch LED. I am hoping it does some up conversion with the new console.

#7 OP HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 18:27

There's not TVii in Norway at least. Also from what I've seen of TVi it server no interest for me as it's basically just a EPG on the Wii that uses the remote to change channel on my tuner/tv. which wouldn't work on my system anyway.

and no I haven't tried ZombieU yet since I can't buy it untill 23 tonight due to Nintendo/Germanys Retarded laws. ZombieU seems interesting, though imho it would have been just as good on any other system. but it's on the WiiU so it should have somewhat better graphics than hat's possible elsewhere. but we'll see.

Have you tried any of your old Wii games on it? I just want to know if it will make those games look better. Part of why I didnt buy many Wii games is because they look so horrible on a 55inch LED. I am hoping it does some up conversion with the new console.

I never had a Wii, to old technology. We did however buy both Zelda games from the Wii. and there's not upscale or anything, the WiiU just runs an emulated Wii with no upscale, or up-render.

#8 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 23 December 2012 - 18:31

While what they are doing is likely stupid, they are a company and they can do what they want with their products, not sure how it could be considered illegal..

#9 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 18:37

There's not TVii in Norway at least. Also from what I've seen of TVi it server no interest for me as it's basically just a EPG on the Wii that uses the remote to change channel on my tuner/tv. which wouldn't work on my system anyway.

More then just an EPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGTlosUhbU4

#10 OP HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 18:50

While what they are doing is likely stupid, they are a company and they can do what they want with their products, not sure how it could be considered illegal..

Well in so far as adding limits like this, they're not breaking any laws. BUT in other ways using german laws over Norwegian ones for products and services offered in Norway and thus reducing consumer protection or other benefits. they could very well be in breach of the laws.

#11 OP HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 18:58

More then just an EPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGTlosUhbU4

Except that's just what it it, a fancy EPG, that does the same stuff I already use my Harmony one for, just with a bigger screen, more info and a lot more battery. it doesn't make much sense really.

#12 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 19:25

Except that's just what it it, a fancy EPG, that does the same stuff I already use my Harmony one for, just with a bigger screen, more info and a lot more battery. it doesn't make much sense really.

well if you look at just the EPG part then yes but it is a entire social integration thing say you want to watch an episode of a show opk well it will then show you what services it is available on like netflix or hulu plus or live TV or if it is recorded on your DVR and one stop shop to watch everything also when watching a live show like a new episode you can interact with it live leaving comments on scenes from the show or if you ended up coming in tot eh show late you can then see what has happened in snap shots and peopel commenting on that scene so ya stay up to date .

Sports tho i dont care much for sports i do like the idea ya get a real time play map of a live game to see what play they are calling or did call and running and live comments on stuff on the right hand side while the game is going ther is allot more to it and more coming down the road but it is Free service and well like the idea it replaces or will replace using standard dishnetwork controller and DVR interface stuff down the road and the fact it has tight integration to Miiverse is nice

Anyways you cant get it yet but when ya can test it out give your thoughts after ya usie it. also i know Nintendo plans to release a update to fix the load times of Miivirse Menu systems but how are they in your opinion in its current state

#13 OP HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 19:34

except for the social part, my tuner already lets me do all that. and I don't need social on my tv.

tvii could have been interesting if it was netflix. but, better.

#14 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 20:05

except for the social part, my tuner already lets me do all that. and I don't need social on my tv.

tvii could have been interesting if it was netflix. but, better.

well over time it will get better but it for me be a nice replacement when i do get aq Wii U and start using TVii a replacement for are current Dishnetwork 722k system well the ugly and slow user interface it has anyways but course they need to make sure DVR integration is done well later on in an update they will have

#15 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:56

I will just chime in by saying ZombiU is a must play for any WiiU owner.
And I actually checked out Nintendoland for the first time just yesterday, and i have had my WiiU since Launch, and there are some fun little deviations on it, there are, but it really is just a tech demo for the GamePad.
I think anyone who already owns other consoles and picks up a WiiU will find it to be a good console. Even a very good console. But anyone looking for it to be their main console, well, they may very well be disappointed.