Photo
android

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 December 2012 - 00:33

Google Play download: Free, Pro (trial the pro version untl march 2013 here: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2030696)

Along with CPU Sleeper (market links: https://play.google....h?q=cpu+sleeper), I almost have no usage with my battery when I turn off the screen. Battery lasted almost two extra days, with my minor usage (only reading e-mails when the auto-sync function gets them, talking on phone about 30-45 minutes in total a day and sending a few sms).

Highly recommending to give this combo (skip the cpu sleeper if you don't have a dual/quad core phone) a try.

edit: Forgot to mention that I also applied the battery saving tweaks from Pimp My Rom, so that might prolong the battery life a bit too.

#2 OP Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:48

So, anyone tried it? I wasn't joking about the battery longevity as the result of that combination.
Here's a screenshot of the battery stats, after 24 hours:
Screenshot_2012-12-26-06-37-39.jpg

Probably could save a bit more power, if I not the battery sucking ingress and world at arms (which for some reason didn't show up in the list).

#3 SinghKing

SinghKing

Neowinian

Posted 26 December 2012 - 13:05

lool I was JUST looking at this.. heard loooadss of postive feedback about this. Definitely going to try it out :) thanks

#4 Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu

moo

Posted 26 December 2012 - 13:42

I've heard a lot of good things about this new app but I'm not too keen on receiving delayed email/whatsapp messages. However I do use the Night mode feature in Battery Widgets Reborn - which puts the device in airplane mode during my sleep hours.

#5 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 26 December 2012 - 14:46

ive tried these programs in the past, and theyve never helped my Rezound. Annoyingly, the previous apps i've tried always disable things i need, like auto-syncing emails. Does this do the same thing? i use my cell phone to get work emails, which i need nearly instantly.

#6 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 26 December 2012 - 14:48

Sorry but that is just plain stupid. What's the point in having a smartphone if you are not going to use it as such? This app turns off your email, Facebook (for those who use it), Twitter, etc and all the services in the background that may or may not be needed (smells like system crash to me).

It basically turns your "smart" phone into a "dumb" phone. I sincerely think that using these apps do more harm than good. Just my point.

#7 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 26 December 2012 - 15:02

I'm pretty sure that as long as your phone lasts you from the morning 'till when you go to bed there is absolutely no need for this battery saving shenanigans. I like having my phone connected all the time, it's what I bought it for.

#8 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 26 December 2012 - 15:10

I'm pretty sure that as long as your phone lasts you from the morning 'till when you go to bed there is absolutely no need for this battery saving shenanigans. I like having my phone connected all the time, it's what I bought it for.

unfortunately mine doesnt. i'll unplug mine around 7:30am, and im lucky to get home by 5 w/ any charge left. If i DONT use the phone at all, i can make it to about 9pm; however, if im using the phone regularly, it'll be dead w/i 6hrs. Just got a new battery in June, too, btw.

#9 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 December 2012 - 15:14

Sorry but that is just plain stupid. What's the point in having a smartphone if you are not going to use it as such? This app turns off your email, Facebook (for those who use it), Twitter, etc and all the services in the background that may or may not be needed (smells like system crash to me).

It basically turns your "smart" phone into a "dumb" phone. I sincerely think that using these apps do more harm than good. Just my point.

your "smart" phone is still a smart phone when you use it. Depends on your needs.

#10 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 26 December 2012 - 15:15

unfortunately mine doesnt. i'll unplug mine around 7:30am, and im lucky to get home by 5 w/ any charge left. If i DONT use the phone at all, i can make it to about 9pm; however, if im using the phone regularly, it'll be dead w/i 6hrs. Just got a new battery in June, too, btw.

What phone and Android version are you using? On my GS3 I can easily go longer than a day off a charge, and I use it for all my email, twitter, and some Facebook I will generally pop it on the charger with a good 30-40% left on the battery after 16 hours

#11 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 26 December 2012 - 15:16

I tried this last night, and it actually made my battery life WORSE. Uninstalled.

#12 typu

typu

Neowinian

Posted 26 December 2012 - 15:17

if i had a phone together with my usage pattern that would not last a day until i go to bed i would seriously consider to replace it. i tried such apps occassionally but i never found them too useful.

#13 OP Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 December 2012 - 15:20

ive tried these programs in the past, and theyve never helped my Rezound. Annoyingly, the previous apps i've tried always disable things i need, like auto-syncing emails. Does this do the same thing? i use my cell phone to get work emails, which i need nearly instantly.

It doesn't disable auto-syncing per se. It limits it to the period of your choosing (shortest syncing period the application got is every five minutes) and limits the duration of the auto sync function (15 secs - 5 minute). Which saves the battery by syncing only for specific time and duration and then shuts down until the next syncing.
Here how I got mine set, for my needs: http://i.imgur.com/NtRXe.jpg

You can change it.

You over exaggerating a bit there. You can white list any application from shutting down and even your social networking and email apps aren't constantly syncing to save your battery (check the settings in most of them). So why leave it open, if it's not doing anything but just draining the battery?

if i had a phone together with my usage pattern that would not last a day until i go to bed i would seriously consider to replace it. i tried such apps occassionally but i never found them too useful.

I tried many too. That's the first that actually helped me. After trying the xda pro version for a few days, I forked out and bought it for auto updates.

#14 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 26 December 2012 - 15:22

I admit that I was really interested in trying this when I saw the thread. As I read through the posts and realises that it disables pretty much everything when the display is turned off, I'll give it a miss. My phone can go for the day on a single charge, and I generally plug it in to a power supply whenever possible.

EDIT:

You over exaggerating a bit there. You can white list any application from shutting down...

Ah, so I could whitelist Whatsapp to continue to receive messages the moment that they come in? I guess I would do the same for Skype as well. I'll go and take a look I guess. The worst that can happen is that I end up uninstalling it. Thanks for the tip! (Y)

#15 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 December 2012 - 15:36

Same here and I did just that. Brand new phone that was about as dead as a door nail in less than 18 hours. Phone I have now easily last 4 days, with my usage, and NOTHING turned off/tweaked. Not a totally true smart phone, but the one I had that I replaced was, and it sucked all around!!