minnesota encouraged youngsters to smoke city ordinance

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,715 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 13:58

they still sell these "candy cigs" here, they just renamed them to "bones"... look exactly the same, just now they claim they are human bones not cig's

#17 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• 3,229 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 14:02

So your into cannibalism now :woot: :laugh:

#18 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,303 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 27 December 2012 - 14:07

This is why we can't have nice things...

#19 SupportGeek

SupportGeek

Neowinian

• 483 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 14:11

The fact the product exists is sad.

Seems like a good idea to ban it.

Because personal responsibility should be handed off to the government or what?
Banning things is almost never a good idea, sure cases like "this soup has arsenic for flavor" would probably be a good idea, but banning things because you are a nanny state and don't want to make your own decisions and take responsibility is always terrible.
Why stop at candy cigarettes? Why not ban candy period, sugar is known for many reasons to be bad for you, its practically poison, certainly that protects the consumer better than banning something that might lead to someone lighting up a real cig later in life.

If you remove all reference material to a product the product then dies a natural death but if you still allow advertising in the way of candy,sponsorship and such then the brand still has a foothold.

LOL!
How is something dying a "natural" death when you are artificially removing references to it?
If someone takes away all your food and water and you die of starvation, is that natural too? :laugh:

#20 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• 3,229 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 14:15

Its like Paypal removing certain sites from its list of users......ergo their income stream is stiffled

#21 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,303 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 27 December 2012 - 14:21

The fact the product exists is sad.

Seems like a good idea to ban it.

Wow man, that's extreme.
I hate to break it to you, but this is 2012 not 1512.
One of the many problems with the world today is people like you.
"oh I read this in the news, it doesn't concern me at all, but im horribly offended by it and therefore it should be banned"
If it doesn't concern you, ignore it. Its like all these morons who ring up and complain about seeing nudity or hearing the F word on tv. - If you dont like it, change the freakin channel.

Let kids be kids, it doesn't harm anyone. Stop being a bloody Candy Nazi.

#22 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,102 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 27 December 2012 - 14:42

I think it's perfectly reasonable to ban products targeted at children that glorify / promote smoking. Don't get me wrong, I had them when I was a kid and never took up smoking but that doesn't mean they didn't influence others. Society should be promoting healthy concepts to children, not incredibly damaging ones.

#23 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,137 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 14:53

I wonder if candy that looked like carrots and celery would 'influence' kids ... :laugh:

#24 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,715 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 15:04

I personally think Sweedish Fish should be banned.... they are offensive to the Sweedish People.... psh.... down with candy! :rofl:

#25 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

• 2,699 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 15:16

I remember the one with paper around it. you could blow in it to make smoke come out. It was just powder but still. It was cool. I never picked up REAL smoking either.

#26 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,715 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 15:20

I remember the one with paper around it. you could blow in it to make smoke come out. It was just powder but still. It was cool. I never picked up REAL smoking either.

I remember those, never worked all that well though, just really fine ground sugar powder

#27 SupportGeek

SupportGeek

Neowinian

• 483 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 15:24

Those were awesome, I also liked "popeye" cigarettes, tasted like crap, but still fun to dissolve into a point and poke your friends with :)

#28 PhilTheThrill

PhilTheThrill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,884 posts
  • Phone: WP8

Posted 27 December 2012 - 15:33

Wow man, that's extreme.
I hate to break it to you, but this is 2012 not 1512.
One of the many problems with the world today is people like you.
"oh I read this in the news, it doesn't concern me at all, but im horribly offended by it and therefore it should be banned"
If it doesn't concern you, ignore it. Its like all these morons who ring up and complain about seeing nudity or hearing the F word on tv. - If you dont like it, change the freakin channel.

Let kids be kids, it doesn't harm anyone. Stop being a bloody Candy Nazi.

So much irony and contradiction in your post. It's a shame you can't see it.

Because personal responsibility should be handed off to the government or what?

Explain personal responsibility when we're talking about a product aimed at young children?

Kids don't generally have responsibility. They need guidance and education - not indoctrination.

#29 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• 3,229 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 15:43

I personally think Sweedish Fish should be banned.... they are offensive to the Sweedish People.... psh.... down with candy! :rofl:

Yea but that complaint should come under the EU rules regarding named foods not made in a particular region i.e. Cheshire chesse,Yorkshire pudding,Greek Yoghurt,Irish stew, etc

#30 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 15:54

"The ordinance was championed by a group of St. Paul teenagers working with the Association for Nonsmokers-Minnesota, which educates youth groups and individuals who want to lobby for anti-tobacco policies."

:rolleyes: