Photo

Humans could contact aliens within 12 years

square kilometer array nick pope extra-terrestrial life worlds largest radio telescope

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,817 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:51

LONDON -- Humans could make contact with alien life within 12 years, with the aid of the world's largest radio telescope, a leading UFO expert has claimed.

One of the key questions, whether extra-terrestrial life exists, could be answered by 2024 with the development of a supersized 1.3 billion pounds radio telescope, the Daily Express reported.

The development of the Square Kilometer Array (SKA) telescope will unleash "new and exciting possibilities", according to former UK ministry of defence UFO Project leader, Nick Pope.

"I will be controversial and give you an exact year of when I believe first confirmation of contact will be made - and that is 2024, the year in which if everything goes according to plan the Square Kilometre Array will be fully operational," Pope, who studied UFO sightings at the MoD for 21 years, said.

The SKA, to be started in 2016, is set to be the world's largest radio telescope and will answer some of the fundamental unanswered questions of our universe.

Made up of thousands of radio wave receptors covering 4,921 square km of the Earth's surface in the Australian outback, scientists have claimed it will provide alternative views of the universe than those seen with optical telescopes.

Scientists leading its development have suggested the SKA will be 50 times more sensitive, and will survey the sky 10,000 times faster, than any other telescope.

"It will give astronomers insight into the formation and evolution of the first stars and galaxies after the Big Bang, the role of cosmic magnetism, the nature of gravity and possibly even life beyond," a spokesman for the SKA said.

"If there is a civilisation within 100 lightyears this telescope could find it. We are now beginning to have the technology whether it's the SKA or maybe other telescopes that are being developed that will allow these possibilities. We are searching all the time for a shadow earth," Pope added.

Recent research suggested that nearly 10 per cent of the population has seen a UFO, equally more than 6 million people just in the UK.

"When I was investigating UFOs, I investigated 2-300 reports each year. 10 per cent is an absolutely astonishing figure," Pope added.

The UFO expert also speculated as to how the extra-terrestrial life could make contact.

"The old fashioned idea was that there would be this landing on the White House lawn. First contact might just happen via email, but more likely it will be through radio signals," Pope said.

source

#2 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

• 2,136 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:52

bs.. we already have lol

#3 +chconline

chconline

I review, not promote.

• 13,153 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:56

What? I thought we already have... it's called Santa Claus right? I'm pretty sure I have not seen flying reindeers with that klnd of aerodynamic design flying in the human world :p

#4 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

• 2,164 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:58

They are already among us. Just ask the Russian Prez. LOL!

#5 +-T-

-T-

Trapmaster

• 2,537 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:19

Ah, well if UFO experts say it, it must be true.

#6 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:42

Mocking the idea of aliens is like mocking the idea of machine powered flight in 1901, or the idea of a man going to the moon in 1959.

Astronomers have shown that stars have planets orbiting them as a rule, not an exception. There are roughly a trillion planets in our galaxy alone. If 0.001% of them have any kind of life, that's 10,000,000 planets with life. If only 0.001% of the planets with life have intelligent life, that's 100 planets in our galaxy with intelligent life. Humans have existed for less than 0.25% of our planet's life.

#7 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:46

One of the key questions, whether extra-terrestrial life exists, could be answered by 2024 with the development of a supersized 1.3 billion pounds radio telescope, the Daily Express reported.

Or could not. There is no guarantee either way. If there is life out there, and the human race survives long enough, we will make contact.

#8 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:40

They are already with us.We are not alone.lol :D

You were warned for the last time not to say anything....They will come for you now... :shiftyninja:

#9 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• 2,537 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:09

Mocking the idea of aliens is like mocking the idea of machine powered flight in 1901, or the idea of a man going to the moon in 1959.

Astronomers have shown that stars have planets orbiting them as a rule, not an exception. There are roughly a trillion planets in our galaxy alone. If 0.001% of them have any kind of life, that's 10,000,000 planets with life. If only 0.001% of the planets with life have intelligent life, that's 100 planets in our galaxy with intelligent life. Humans have existed for less than 0.25% of our planet's life.

Have you seen one? I mean really you seen one not your friends not the guys on TV.

#10 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,311 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:43

...a leading UFO expert has claimed.

So a man who is an expert in not knowing what something is thinks that we'll contact aliens in 12 years?

Well I guess we had to have another doomsday prophecy to worry about sooner or later...

#11 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,649 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:43

I have always found it weird that people don't believe in Aliens.
There's Billions, no mopre than Trillions and Trillions of stars out there, which are suns of other solar systems, and of course many many many would have life.
It's plain stupid to even doubt life on other planets.
Even in our own solar system there's more than likely life on the other planets. Just cuz we couldn't live on them, doesn't mean some other species couldn't.
Are people really that retarded? It doesn't even make sense to think that we're the only ones around.
There's way more proof that aliens exist than God, but it's alright to believe in God, but you're considered crazy if you believe in Aliens, go figure.

#12 +imachip

imachip

Neowinian

• 1,027 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:44

Yes, but we're not in a scientific discussion about the reality of aliens. This is another topic of someone who is obviously very enthusiastic about his field making outrageous claims.

#13 insanelyapple

insanelyapple

Neowinian

• 774 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:46

Britons already made first contact - with The Doctor. And Nick Pope?

#14 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:54

Have you seen one? I mean really you seen one not your friends not the guys on TV.

No, but I haven't seen an electron in a microscope either. I still believe that electrons exist though.

Yes, but we're not in a scientific discussion about the reality of aliens. This is another topic of someone who is obviously very enthusiastic about his field making outrageous claims.

Whether it is an outrageous claim is debatable. The idea that man could go to the moon seemed pretty outrageous in 1961. Many comments are not focused on the voracity of the claim, but rather mock the idea of the existence of aliens all together.

#15 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 33,958 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:38

"UFO Expert". Sorry, isn't this a misnomer? An expert at not being able to identify things? Awesome!

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!