Dinggus

bs.. we already have lol

When?

thomastmc

Well nice try but it wasn't proven true! Because you can split the atom and the atom is made up of other particles like the proton neutron and electron.

You're partially right. Should I have said it was proven true, no, but not for the reasons you show.

Further progress in the understanding of atoms did not occur until the science of chemistry began to develop. In 1789, French nobleman and scientific researcher Antoine Lavoisier discovered the law of conservation of mass and defined an element as a basic substance that could not be further broken down by the methods of chemistry.[16]

In 1805, English instructor and natural philosopher John Dalton used the concept of atoms to explain why elements always react in ratios of small whole numbers (the law of multiple proportions) and why certain gases dissolved better in water than others. He proposed that each element consists of atoms of a single, unique type, and that these atoms can join together to form chemical compounds.[17][18] Dalton is considered the originator of modern atomic theory.[19]

Dalton's atomic hypothesis did not specify the size of atoms. Common sense indicated they must be very small, but nobody knew how small. Therefore it was a major landmark when in 1865 Johann Josef Loschmidt measured the size of the molecules that make up air.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom

Which is why we don't go presuming things like alien life exists without evidence;

In the above example Dalton had less evidence for atoms than there is for alien life. Einstein was wrong because he failed to see that the evidence available for quantum mechanics was valid in showing it's existence.

+trag3dy

This thread...9 pages of 2 guys arguing with each other. :rofl:

thomastmc

This thread...9 pages of 2 guys arguing with each other. :rofl:

You've never read any letters between actual scientists... this is nothing.

+trag3dy

You've never read any letters between actual scientists... this is nothing.

You're right, I haven't. I couldn't imagine anything more boring.

thomastmc

You're right, I haven't. I couldn't imagine anything more boring.

Everyone knows something you don't, (royal you, as in us or we), everyone has considered a possibility that you haven't. If you don't believe you already know everything, or that no one knows more than you, the only way to find out if an idea or piece of information is valid is to ask, or state what you think and rationally explanation information or possibilities you hadn't considered if or when someone brings it to your attention.

A lot of people say reading is boring, I guess one could consider expanding their awareness boring too.

+trag3dy

Everyone knows something you don't, (royal you, as in us or we), everyone has considered a possibility that you haven't. If you don't believe you already know everything, or that no one knows more than you, the only way to find out if an idea or piece of information is valid is to ask, or state what you think and rationally explanation information or possibilities you hadn't considered if or when someone brings it to your attention.

A lot of people say reading is boring, I guess one could consider expanding their awareness boring too.

Sure.

seta-san

Mocking the idea of aliens is like mocking the idea of machine powered flight in 1901, or the idea of a man going to the moon in 1959.

Astronomers have shown that stars have planets orbiting them as a rule, not an exception. There are roughly a trillion planets in our galaxy alone. If 0.001% of them have any kind of life, that's 10,000,000 planets with life. If only 0.001% of the planets with life have intelligent life, that's 100 planets in our galaxy with intelligent life. Humans have existed for less than 0.25% of our planet's life.

few question the existence of aliens... even if they are just single celled. We question whether they are among us. It's 4.3light years to the next closest star. Let's face it, even if we sent out signals in every possible direction we likely wouldn't year back for decades or even centuries and even then, they are probably just as bound to their planet as we are to ours.

thomastmc

few question the existence of aliens... even if they are just single celled. We question whether they are among us. It's 4.3light years to the next closest star. Let's face it, even if we sent out signals in every possible direction we likely wouldn't year back for decades or even centuries and even then, they are probably just as bound to their planet as we are to ours.

I would totally agree, except that few question the existence of alien life. I probably would have agreed with that last week though.

I wouldn't make a determination that intelligent alien life exists, although I do suspect it's likely. It's a totally different argument though, focusing on the evolution of animals and the evolution of intelligence. However, since alien life in general probably exists, intelligent alien life is as likely an assumption as to assume that since we have rockets and have put a man in space, we could probably go to the moon as well.

UFOs, which are closely linked by many to intelligent aliens, are more likely humans using very advanced classified technology and/or doing classified scientific experiments. I don't believe it's a coincidence that the UFO craze started in the mid-late 1940s and throughout the 1950s, when advancements in aerospace and propulsion systems took gigantic leaps. Still, I couldn't rule it out, or say that it would be all that surprising if they had visited Earth. Given a few more thousand years, or even a few hundred, it's mind boggling what humans might be capable of. However, there's not enough evidence to make a good bet for, or against.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      Europe's telescopes can handle broadband satellite interference
      by Paul Hill

A new study has found that European telescopes will be “moderately affected” by internet satellite constellations being launched by SpaceX, OneWeb and others but that the effect of the additional satellites will be manageable. Critics have argued that firms haven’t sought public consensus to fly the satellites and that they could impact astronomy.

According to the authors of the paper, Olivier Hainaut and Andrew Williams, the private satellite constellations will have varying impacts in the field of astronomy. Fortunately, most of the impact is negligible with work in the first and last hours of the night being most impacted when more of the satellites will reflect the light of the Sun, which will be either rising or setting.

Discussing the visibility of the satellites, the authors wrote:

They also found that flares and occultations by the satellites will only have a small impact on observations. They found that light trails will ruin around 1% of telescopic exposures using narrow to normal field imaging and spectrotelescopic techniques in the visible and near-infrared during the first and last hours of the night.

More impacted will be wide-field exposures and long medium-field exposures which will be affected about 3% of the time during the first and last hours of the night. The biggest impact will be on ultra-wide imaging exposures done by very large telescopes such as the Vera C. Rubin Observatory. They will be significantly impacted with 30 to 40% of exposures being compromised during the first and last hours of the night.

To mitigate these problems, the researchers recommend that the astronomical community, satellite companies, and government agencies conduct co-ordination and collaboration.

Source: Astronomy & Astrophysics via BBC News

• By Stergios Georgopoulos
      Slooh offers Its live telescope feeds of outer space to everyone for free
      by Stergios Georgopoulos

Slooh, a robotic telescope online service that provides live streams of outer space, announced that it has opened its live telescope feeds to the public for free. The company was the first service to offer live viewing through a telescope via the web but its feeds were previously available to paying members only.

The firm owns several telescopes both at its main observatory on the Canary Islands and at a secondary observatory in Chile, which offers views from the Southern Hemisphere. It also has partnerships with many other observatories around the world.

Paige Godfrey, Slooh's director of research, said in a statement:

As of today, all you have to do to view the live streams is to sign up for a free account. However, you will still have to pay if you want to control the telescopes and point them at the space objects of your choice. There are two types of paid accounts; ‘Apprentice’ members can point the telescopes at 500 popular objects in the night sky for $4.95 per month, while ‘Astronomer’ accounts can point the telescopes at any object in the sky and cost $24.95 per month.

Source: Space.com | Image via Slooh

• By zikalify
      Telegram 4.0 released, bringing several major additions
      by Paul Hill

Telegram 4.0 has officially been released and is available right now from iOS and Android’s respective app stores. The release is a major one bringing with it video messages, Telescope, Instant View support on most websites, and bot payment support.

Video messages on Telegram work in exactly the same way audio recordings work. To record a message, you tap the audio record button to flip to video record mode, then press and hold the record button. The update also allows you to swipe up on the record button if you want to record a video without having to keep your thumb pressed on the button. This now works when recording audio, too.

Telescope extends video messaging. When channel owners publish video messages to their followers, it is also given a public URL for non-Telegram users to access and watch the content; the URL can be found on the channel's Telescope page. The full library of a channel’s video messages can be found at telesco.pe/channel_name. Telescope allows content to spread outside of the Telegram network and attract new followers.

Instant View has been available for a while now on Telegram, but was limited to Telegram’s own website and articles posted on the telegra.ph blogging platform. Now, many more compatible websites will be able to be cached on Telegram's servers giving users faster access to the content within Telegram, rather than having to open a web browser. Instant View has also gained more functionality, it allows you now to adjust the font, font size, theme colour, and brightness.

The last major addition to Telegram in version 4.0 is the inclusion of bot payments. Bots have been around for a while, but now vendors which run bots can build in payment options allowing for a more streamlined purchasing experience. Payments on Telegram aren’t actually processed through Telegram itself, and thus the service stores none of your data; instead, it ties in with other services such as Stripe.

Source: Telegram

• By Hum
      Even after dismissing witchcraft with a rational mind this is still really, really weird.

Dubbed the Black Ring of Leamington Spa, the strange phenomenon was captured by Georgina Heap, 16, on her iPhone on Friday evening near Warwick Castle.

Fire services have said no fires were reported at the time and the Met Office have said it does not appear to be weather-related.

Heap said it was "the weirdest thing I have ever seen".

"I looked up at it and thought 'what the hell?', it was amazing.

"It was just floating there like a cloud and then it disappeared. It wasn't birds either.

"There were about ten of us who stopped what we were doing and watched."

UFO expert, Nick Pope, described the video as "truly bizarre" and ruled out it being a smoke ring.

He added: "One other possibility is that the shape is made up of millions of bees or other insects, but I've never heard of insects behaving in this way before, so if this is the explanation, it's a real-life X-File."

source