Samsung could face 15 billion in fines for trying to ban apple products

^ Are you saying that you think the fines MS were hit with, WERE to do with patents? Because he's right, you know. All you have to do is look it up yourself. Those fines were 100% to do with monopoly abuse and nothing at all to do with patents.

^ Are you saying that you think the fines MS were hit with, WERE to do with patents? Because he's right, you know. All you have to do is look it up yourself. Those fines were 100% to do with monopoly abuse and nothing at all to do with patents.

Where did I even mention MS? As far as I can see it's about Samsung.

Where did I even mention MS? As far as I can see it's about Samsung.

You said...

Also HawkMan, you can write paragraphs of text here but that doesn't automatically mean those are all facts and everybody else is stupid and doesn't know what they are talking about. Gotta love your ego tho, can I borrow it sometimes?

HawkMan was talking about MS in his post above; 1+1 generally equals 2.

Then try being more accurate with your responses.

Also, ever tried putting a sharp cornered device into your pocket? That rounded corner patent should never have been issued as it IS something that's pretty essential.

Okay. That last sentence was exactly what I was trying to say but more complicated, guess it's the beer that's kicking in :blush:

It amazes me how Apple is using every loophole imaginable and can get away with it and Samsung is being targetted. EU should go after apple, theyre hoarding cash and mocking charity at the same time.

Actually what I was reffering to was about his sentence about "rounded corner patents aren't essential patents".

And HawkMan is still right, what cellular standard requires companies to emulate the iPhone design?

And HawkMan is still right, what cellular standard requires companies to emulate the iPhone design?

The "we have to design it for the iPhone fashion sheep" standard ;p

Microsoft and Apple are the biggest tech industry bullies. It's sad enough to see them complaining about getting a taste of their own medicine, it's even worse that some courts are agreeing with them.

Want to end the patent wars

STOP GRANTING PATENTS FOR NECESSARY TECHNOLOGY, AND STOP GRANTING PATENTS FOR GENERIC PATENT IDEAS

*sigh*

It amazes me how Apple is using every loophole imaginable and can get away with it and Samsung is being targetted. EU should go after apple, theyre hoarding cash and mocking charity at the same time.

Oh, wow. I mean, if you have evidence of Apple using standard essential patents to get other products banned, then you might want to take that up with the EU. That's what this is about.

• Like 1

http://bgr.com/2012/...-europe-271856/

Samsung (005930) could face a $15 billion fine in Europe alone for using ?standard-essential? patents in its attempts to ban devices like the iPhone in its ongoing patent battle with Apple (AAPL). The Guardian reports that the European commission could impose a massive fine of up to 10% of Samsung?s global turnover following its investigation into Samsung?s use of standard-essential patents in complaints filed against Apple in Europe. Samsung?s revenue totaled $148.9 billion in 2011, so fines in Europe alone could reach $14.8 billion.

Apple had offered to license the relevant patents in the past, the commission noted, but it was unable to strike an agreement with Samsung.

so, Samsung made the patents available, Apple refused to license them, now the EU wants to fine SAMSUNG for trying to protect its IP????

EU Judge's name isn't Lucy Koh by any chance???

Apple offered to license, Samsung refused. Why wasn't there a trial for that? Or did Apple just say, let's just use them anyway, and then sue them later? How does that work? I don't see why this is coming at this point in time with so much in the past.

Before people chime in about the FRAND stuff, I get that so you don't have to rag on about that.