218 replies to this topic

#1 Rickkins

Rickkins

Neowinian

• 628 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S3

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:04

http://www.legitrevi...com/news/14779/

According to Net Applications, Windows 8's online presence has actually fallen to below that of Vista's at the same length of time after release, just two months on the market. On December 22, W8's usage share was sitting at 1.6% of all Windows PCs, up from 1.2% in November. However, in the same period, Vista was sitting at 2.2%, up from around 1% the month before. This is an abysmal result and compares very poorly with Windows 7's 6%+ share after the same two months on the market. It's possible that Christmas sales may redress this balance, but it seems unlikely.

#2 +mkol

mkol

mkol

• 1,347 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32gb

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:06

Windows 8 is rubbish and so are the drivers for it. I don't need any flaming it just my opinion.

#3 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,722 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:08

Windows 8 is rubbish and so are the drivers for it. I don't need any flaming it just my opinion.

Actually that's one of the great thinks is the driver support. The only driver I had to wait on was a final AMD Radeon HD driver and it's quite good so far.

What drivers are you having issues with?

#4 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,503 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:08

rubbish comment aside (that's your opinion) I have not found anything that doesn't work in 8 that worked fine in 7. you can't even compare 8's driver situation (which there hardly is any) to Vista's

#5 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,208 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:09

It's possible that Christmas sales may redress this balance, but it seems unlikely.

I'm sure it will, I'm guessing a TON of desktops/laptops were sold for Christmas. This is just a hater article..

Drivers are the responsibility of the hardware MFG, plus, 99% of all the Windows 7 drivers work on Windows 8 so whats the prob?

#6 +mkol

mkol

mkol

• 1,347 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:13

Epson drivers don't fully work on it in my experince. Encounter problems with nvidia drivers crashes and so on. The image quality specially fonts are really bad in windows 8.

#7 OP Rickkins

Rickkins

Neowinian

• 628 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:14

Personally, after adding Classic Shell to 8, and fixing some 'permissions' issues, I find 8 to be just fine. Of course, I exist entirely in a desktop environment. Indeed.... my task bar is that of win xp..!!

It's just a matter of knowing what I like, and then setting out to get it.

Metro... well, if I had it on a touch device, I'd give it a whirl. Just not so much on my desktop...

#8 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:16

Choice... so much needed.

#9 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,208 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:17

Epson drivers don't fully work on it in my experince. Encounter problems with nvidia drivers crashes and so on. The image quality specially fonts are really bad in windows 8.

Nvidia driver's are 100% stable, I've been running all flavors of them since the orig Windows 8 launch drivers. You've probably got a cooling/hardware issue or something with a game.

Metro... well, if I had it on a touch device, I'd give it a whirl. Just not so much on my desktop...

Metro doesn't require a touch device and works fine with a mouse/keyboard, not really sure why so many people are having issues with that....

#10 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:18

I have not found anything that doesn't work in 8 that worked fine in 7.

The missus' ancient HP printer :p

Works ootb p'n'p with 7, absolutely nothing would get it working in 8, installing drivers in compatibility mode, everything I could think of, eventually had to install 7 in VMWare and print from that :laugh:

#11 +mkol

mkol

mkol

• 1,347 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:20

Personally, after adding Classic Shell to 8, and fixing some 'permissions' issues, I find 8 to be just fine. Of course, I exist entirely in a desktop environment. Indeed.... my task bar is that of win xp..!!

It's just a matter of knowing what I like, and then setting out to get it.

I kind of agree with you as far as metro.. not for desktop. I am seriously thinking about moving to Imac as my next purchase.

#12 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,224 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:20

Metro doesn't require a touch device and works fine with a mouse/keyboard, not really sure why so many people are having issues with that....

I'd say many parts of the start screen especially works a lot better with a mouse and keyboard.

#13 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,315 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:21

Personally, I hit WinKey, type what I want and get what I want.

E.g.
WinKey, type DNS, hit enter, I get a DNS console.
WinKey, type powershell ise, hit enter, I get a Powershell ISE.
WinKey, type steam, hit enter and I get my games.

It's fantastic.

Never before has Windows listened to me.

How people cannot want this? I don't know.

#14 OP Rickkins

Rickkins

Neowinian

• 628 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:22

While it may well be usable with a mouse and keyboard, it was designed for touch.

#15 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,224 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:23

While it may well be usable with a mouse and keyboard, it was designed for touch.

yet, the start screen work better with a mouse than with touch.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!