Windows 8 Falls Behind Even the Maligned Vista

Please be aware that my post was aimed at you as well.

Never doubted it for a second... and I agree. I shouldn't have to get drawn into a debate over metro, just for having made a post about win8 sales figures.

Pin Powershell ISE or create a shortcut for it anywhere. the difference is that win7 actually had a shortcut for it nested somewhere. The search engine won't show all the random commands/arguments that can be sent to a program.

I would like to see Microsoft just acknowledge its failure. It's painfully obvious to everyone how horrible it is.

I thought nothing could be worse then Vista and ME, but 8 proves us all wrong.

If you truly want to make an impact, you have to think with your wallet - and support your family/friends doing the same. If you buy it and then hate it, they've already won.

you never heard of fujitsu or fujitsu-siemens?

Nope. They're not a popular brand where I live. Hell, it's the first I'm hearing of their AMD tablet too.

In the States where I live, the popular brands are HP, Dell, Lenovo, and Acer.

Pin Powershell ISE or create a shortcut for it anywhere. the difference is that win7 actually had a shortcut for it nested somewhere. The search engine won't show all the random commands/arguments that can be sent to a program.

%windir%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell_ISE.exe , so not a shortcut.

%windir%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell_ISE.exe , so not a shortcut.

The ISE is an administrative tool so it doesn't show up in search if you have that option turned off.

1. Either turn on "Show Administrative Tools" in the Start Page settings then unpin what you don't want or

2. copy/move the shortcuts for the ISE from "\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools" to "\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools" and you're all set.

• Like 1

Nope. They're not a popular brand where I live. Hell, it's the first I'm hearing of their AMD tablet too.

In the States where I live, the popular brands are HP, Dell, Lenovo, and Acer.

There is more to the world than the US, Fujitsu-Siemens is very popular in Europe, especially for businesses.

If you truly want to make an impact, you have to think with your wallet - and support your family/friends doing the same. If you buy it and then hate it, they've already won.

That's the problem for Windows 8. No one is buying it. And most of those who have are cursing themselves over it. When your at a computer shop and customers are demanding that the employees wipe Windows 8 and put Windows 7 on computers and brand new laptops, that speaks volumes.

Family and friends have already made the wise decision to not buy it, and I for one can't blame them.

Personally, I hit WinKey, type what I want and get what I want.

E.g.

WinKey, type DNS, hit enter, I get a DNS console.

WinKey, type powershell ise, hit enter, I get a Powershell ISE.

WinKey, type steam, hit enter and I get my games.

It's fantastic.

Never before has Windows listened to me.

How people cannot want this? I don't know.

I know what you mean, I wish you could do that with Windows 7.

Despite all the drama over how true this article was, noone can deny Win 8 is not doing that good. Solid proof is a thread like this one, split kinda like 50/50, unlike the general positive word on Windows 7.

I tried Win 8, it wasn't faster or that much slower, it worked like Win 7 after getting rid of the new Start and replacing it with the old. There is no reason to upgrade yet, it's just a pain in the rear to set it up for getting what? The same stuff from Win 7? Aside from a true faster boot time it only wastes time. Perhaps with updates and when it has a solid line-up of must have apps stuff will change. But as many believed (I was against the thought at first), it pretty much feels like what Vista was for 7... a growing slow pain. Windows 7 is so much usable at the moment.

Despite all the drama over how true this article was, noone can deny Win 8 is not doing that good. Solid proof is a thread like this one, split kinda like 50/50, unlike the general positive word on Windows 7.

I tried Win 8, it wasn't faster or that much slower, it worked like Win 7 after getting rid of the new Start and replacing it with the old. There is no reason to upgrade yet, it's just a pain in the rear to set it up for getting what? The same stuff from Win 7? Aside from a true faster boot time it only wastes time. Perhaps with updates and when it has a solid line-up of must have apps stuff will change. But as many believed (I was against the thought at first), it pretty much feels like what Vista was for 7... a growing slow pain. Windows 7 is so much usable at the moment.

I had pretty much the same experience. I'll admit the new hybrid boot mode is pretty impressive but once I got it set up the way I liked it, by replacing the horrible RTM theme with the one from the RP, and by installing StartIsBack it was basically Windows 7 with a slight facelift. And then I got bad_pool_header bluescreens whilst trying to use vlite to slipstream some updates into a Vista deployment source for the charity I do volunteer work at. In the end I just decided it wasn't worth the hassle and went back to 7. I will probably buy a licence before the end of January and use 8 in the future but right now apart from the horrible choices made by the GUI team it just hasn't felt as stable for me for general usage.

That's the problem for Windows 8. No one is buying it. And most of those who have are cursing themselves over it. When your at a computer shop and customers are demanding that the employees wipe Windows 8 and put Windows 7 on computers and brand new laptops, that speaks volumes.

Family and friends have already made the wise decision to not buy it, and I for one can't blame them.

You keep saying no one is buying it and those that do hate it.

you're still wrong and you're still not providing any proof.

Well it actually is faster, but besides that, maybe if you had actually tried the new start screen and bothered to learn it (takes a whole of 5 minutes if you're a slow learner, the regular dumb users get it right away when I demonstrate it) you would have seen the advantage in a faster and more effective and better organize launcher.

Subjective opinion not objective fact. In my case it's nothing to do with being a slow learner I simply dislike it, and the same goes for a lot of people that don't like the way the start screen works. It's getting old now, there's nothing about liking the start screen that makes you smarter or superior ;)

I bought it because it was cheap 15? but i didnt install. Didnt like using it when i tested in other computers, many stupid changes that will be corrected in the next version. MS always skips 1 version like a test version. Windows 9 will be adopted just like Win7 was with Vista before.

Rightly so, it's a horrible frankenstein mish-mash of a load of ideas, a fair few ripped right from a tablet experience. Upper management must of been pushing everything through to Windows 8, I simply cannot believe the design teams (or anyone related to usability experience) were happy with it.

Removing the start button in such a hacky way was simply not the way forward and such a terrible idea for a desktop experience. You use a program (I use Startisback) and suddenly the OS becomes usable, but the unpolished tearing out of Aero, slapping in a bulky ribbon based system (yes I know it can be hidden) and then throwing in a Start Screen which feels like an app, not part of the system, says of the rest.

• Like 2

Subjective opinion not objective fact. In my case it's nothing to do with being a slow learner I simply dislike it, and the same goes for a lot of people that don't like the way the start screen works. It's getting old now, there's nothing about liking the start screen that makes you smarter or superior ;)

one is a fact, the other... not so much. anecdotal evidence at best, to support why you think it sucks/win8 is failure.

I never said Windows 8 was a failure so quit putting words in my mouth, I was simply correcting a misconception about the views of some of the resident Microsoft shills of those of us that don't like it.

Windows 8, IMO, is a failure on so many levels. It could have been a great experience but mixing the old with the new really places it at the bottom of the OS heap.

This video is still, again, IMO, is one of the best reasons of why Windows 8 is so horrible.

http://www.cultofmac.com/207632/why-windows-8-is-one-of-the-worst-operating-systems-ever-video/

• Like 2

Windows 8, IMO, is a failure on so many levels. It could have been a great experience but mixing the old with the new really places it at the bottom of the OS heap.

This video is still, again, IMO, is one of the best reasons of why Windows 8 is so horrible.

http://www.cultofmac...ems-ever-video/

While his presentation is horrible, he does have good points.

Honestly, everybody in the real world that I know wants the Start Menu back. Why couldn't Microsoft keep it? It was removed for a reason you say? Then how come there are so many third party start menus out there? Why couldn't Microsoft build their own INTO the OS?

Personally, I do not care about the start menu, but geez it is so irritating getting questions about it to where MS should have included it.

They also should have had the option to boot directly to the desktop. I never stick in the start screen or use the full screen apps, so it is irritating.

Yes, there are actually people that do shut their computers down, and I am constantly reminding people that their shut down button is not in the start menu / start screen anymore. They should have kept it in the Start Screen. And no you cannot just make a statement like "just press the power button or close the lid" because it is not a 100% guarantee that it will shut down. For example, my power button is still on Sleep instead of Shut Down.

MS NEEDS to have an option to disable these hot corners while in the desktop environment. I constantly hear people complain about accidentally activating them, and I did the same thing until I got Start8.

My ONLY complaint with Windows 8 is the hot corners on the desktop and not being able to boot directly to it. Why couldn't MS made a couple of check boxes in the Control Panel for us?

Look I love Windows 8. I had to reinstall my Windows partition on my Mac, and I decided to go back to Windows 7. I actually missed Windows 8 so I upgraded to it again.

However, the attitude here and in other places is very annoying. Even though I love the OS, as soon as I make my complaint about the hot corners people immediately jump down my throat saying "Oh looks like another person who never used Windows 8" or "Learn how to use your mouse" or "you suck at computers".

So we are in a age now where, even if we like a product, we cannot even say ONE BAD THING about it? Why not just get rid of movie, games, and every other review possible then?

Hey lets let NVIDIA release 100% faulty graphics cards. It is their product right, and they can do what they want. We have no right to complain about it now right?

We are consumers, yes MS can do whatever they want to an OS, but as consumers, we have the power. If nobody buys Windows 8 and the number one reason why is the start menu, I bet you MS would add it back. I do not know how else to word it but when you create a product, yes you can do whatever you want. But if people do not buy it because of things you changed, you better change back if you want to keep the business.

Well I wasn't replying to you, disliking it is one thing. however, the start screen is not slower or less effective than the start menu, it is in fact faster, and more efficient and far more organized.

They also should have had the option to boot directly to the desktop.

Why should they boot directly to the desktop ? when you start your computer, you're not going to have it sit on the desktop, you're going to use it for something.

for the regular and power user the start screen is the launcher, and it's far better launcher, so you click whatever app you want to start using and voila you're back on the desktop.

For some desktop users the start screen is also used as an information panel in addition to the launcher, in which case you have all the information right there on boot, and can then start into whatever app you're going to use, desktop or not.

starting to an empty passive desktop makes no sense. you'll have to open the start screen to launch most of your applications anyway. whining because it takes you a fraction of a second to click the desktop tile to get to the desktop on startup is such a ridiculous notion to start with.

• Like 3

Why should they boot directly to the desktop ? when you start your computer, you're not going to have it sit on the desktop, you're going to use it for something.

for the regular and power user the start screen is the launcher, and it's far better launcher, so you click whatever app you want to start using and voila you're back on the desktop.

For some desktop users the start screen is also used as an information panel in addition to the launcher, in which case you have all the information right there on boot, and can then start into whatever app you're going to use, desktop or not.

starting to an empty passive desktop makes no sense. you'll have to open the start screen to launch most of your applications anyway. whining because it takes you a fraction of a second to click the desktop tile to get to the desktop on startup is such a ridiculous notion to start with.

What? When windows 7 boots, what happens then? Even the Start Menu is not activated by default.

starting to an empty passive desktop makes no sense

So Windows 7 makes NO SENSE at all?

whining because it takes you a fraction of a second to click the desktop tile to get to the desktop on startup is such a ridiculous notion to start with.

Right so ANYTHING we say about the OS is now whining? I am not stomping my feet crying that I have to click the desktop tile. If I NEVER do ANYTHING on the start screen (once I create my desktop shortcuts), why can't I simply check a box in the Control Panel to take me to the desktop mode by default? I have NO NEED of the start screen. ME....so why not make an option? If you do, then do not check that option.

It need not be empty. I have shortcuts to all of my "programs" on the desktop. I have no need for little kiddie "apps". Oh boy, you can display 2 at a time! Big deal. I often display several windows on the desktop at once. I guess it depends on what you use you system for, but after a few weeks, I am going to revert to Windows 7 for the new year. It's like Microsoft built an OS for 2 types of users, the desktop/laptop folks and the tablet folks. I am simply tired of switching between the 2 environments.

I love Microsoft as a company, but for me, Windows 8 is a dud. If you are happy with it, more power to ya. To all the overly-defensive Windows 8 fans, we are all entitled to our own opinion. Try not to get your undies in a bunch. :)

• Like 2