50 posts in this topic

Posted

Hackulous, the pirated iOS app community, abruptly closes

Hackulous, the community and website behind the popular app Installous, has been shut down. In a statement on the Hackulous website, the team says the site has been shuttered due to a "stagnant" community and forums that resemble "a ghost town." The Hackulous repository used for jailbreak app Cydia has also gone offline, taking Installous

Posted

I think they all just realized it would be easier to switch to Android.

17 people like this

Posted

I for one buy all my Apps; I support the Developer wherever possible and have always hated projects / communities like this.

7 people like this

Posted

I for one buy all my Apps; I support the Developer wherever possible and have always hated projects / communities like this.

You are just to gullible then as with just about ANY app/program, there is just about ALWAYS an equally as good free one.

I can't remember the last time/year I actually paid for any app or program. Personally, there is nothing out really worth paying for!!

This too!! :)

3 people like this

Posted

I remember Jailbreaking and using Cydia and Installous on my 1G iPod Touch before we had the App Store, it was worth it then so you could install apps and customise your home screen and such.

But now you can do more or less the same things without needing to Jailbreak. So.. pointless.

Posted

Good , I don't like seeing small "Devs" getting ripped off ( on any platform) If it wasn't for these people then Android for instance wouldn't be what it is. Not sure about pricing on iOS , but you'd have to be a complete scum bag low life to pirate an app that cost a quid/dollar.

Im sure some apologist will be along to argue against this site being shut down, and plead how poor they are and they need to be free and not be oppressed ....... blah, blah, blah sob, sob, sob.

IMO shut down more and do it often .If you can afford the device you can afford the apps you cheap S.O.B peasants.

Happy new year to all :laugh:

2 people like this

Posted

Never used installous or anything. ? 55 for an app is too cheap to pirate.

1 person likes this

Posted

was reading about this. i remember when i had my original iPod touch they used to provide apps before the app store even existed.

Posted

It's definitely a lot easier to pirate hard work on Android.

3 people like this

Posted

You are just to gullible then as with just about ANY app/program, there is just about ALWAYS an equally as good free one.

I can't remember the last time/year I actually paid for any app or program. Personally, there is nothing out really worth paying for!!

Sometimes, but usually NO. not at all. and even when there is it's usually ad supported which is plain horrible.

and since you're using program and not just apps, what's an equally good free alternative to 3DS MAX and Photoshop ?

as for apps on mobile, what's an equally good free app to the iOS Day One journal app, for Android ?what's an equally good camera app to CameraFX or ProHDR Camera ? I tried a ton of free podCast apps before I finally caved in and bought Double Twist on my android phone.

1 person likes this

Posted

Good riddance.

Posted

I could never understand how it got famous. Like most out there I've installed and tried Installous just to see what the hype is all about. Installous basically just took me to another file hosting website which offered the ipa download. Pretty stupid, IMO.

I've literally just bought 2 paid apps, just 2 (biteSMS and Springtomize). Everything else that I wanted/needed was free. Among the free ones, I particularly value the Gridlock app.

Posted

Where one falls, another will rise.

Posted

I always buy all my apps too. Just the other day I went back through my online banking and I've spent

Posted

I always buy all my apps too. Just the other day I went back through my online banking and I've spent

1 person likes this

Posted

Easier? Nah. Maybe more Lamer!

Posted

when i had my iphone i had that installed downloaded a few games realized how good the game was ans bought it .

this is a major blow to the jailbreaking community

Posted

Where one falls, another will rise.

Assuming there's active jailbreaking going on. Microsoft had a rather easy time shutting it down, by extending an open hand to the ChevronWP team. Apple tried the harder cat and mouse game, and had the advantage of a userbase that has a tendency of buying new hardware.

when i had my iphone i had that installed downloaded a few games realized how good the game was ans bought it .

this is a major blow to the jailbreaking community

I think it's more the downturn in jailbreaking was a blow to the app piracy community. That said, I don't hold the same ill will towards it that others do (at least publicly, I'm not really convinced people hate it as much as they say they do in private life). Everyone I know who pirates is broke. People who have a good cash flow don't see piracy as worth their time (it really is inconvenient, and only worth it if you really can't afford whatever it costs).

1 person likes this

Posted

Pirates usually say that they cannot access the apps in their countries or it is too expensive. Seriously, I wouldn

1 person likes this

Posted

Apple has always never been much about marketshare! Look at the mac marketshare! They only care about paying customers!

that's how the term isheep came about

3 people like this

Posted

that's how the term isheep came about

The term isheep is stupid. Ever brand has fanboys. I have seen girls buy those 5 inch galaxy note phones only to use maybe 20% of its features. They like larger screen. Yes electronics do make people happy and fanboys or fangirls are eventually born. These are not only phones anymore, more like portable computers that provide entertainment, communication and so much more.

Honestly, every serious company that cares about profit greatly only cares about their paying customers. Why do you think that Google is making their Google Apps with subscriptions only now? Because they don't want to waste efforts on free loaders and they know that businesses that have a need will pay for google apps.

1 person likes this

Posted

You win the Internet for that comment my friend :)

4 people like this

Posted

Eh? This isn't related to jailbreak other than you needed the device to be jailbroken to use it.

No, loads of things provided by cydia are NOT AVAILABLE in the app store and wouldn't be allowed, please stop spouting such nonsense.

Difference: Cydia = an 'open' app store, comes with default legit repos and apps, you can add warez repos to it if you agree the warning and continue to do so.

Hackulous = nothing legit about it, all pirate apps from the apple app store.

Posted

Everyone I know who pirates is broke.

Yet they can afford an iPhone?

3 people like this

Posted

I'd used it once, to test an app out, it barely worked as a cracked version so I bought it anyway. Not gonna miss this much at all