49 replies to this topic

#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,151 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:52

Hackulous, the pirated iOS app community, abruptly closes

Hackulous, the community and website behind the popular app Installous, has been shut down. In a statement on the Hackulous website, the team says the site has been shuttered due to a "stagnant" community and forums that resemble "a ghost town." The Hackulous repository used for jailbreak app Cydia has also gone offline, taking Installous— a downloader for cracked iOS apps — with it.

It’s a sudden and abrupt move considering the popularity of the website and associated app. The reason for the closure doesn’t seem to make much sense either, according toTorrentFreak, who contacted two people familiar with the matter claiming that the site still had "plenty of users." As TorrentFreak points out, though, the absence of a jailbreak for the iPhone 5 — as well as increasingly long wait times for updated jailbreaks for new versions of iOS — could also have played a part in the shutdown.

Source: The Verge

#2 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 8,907 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 31 December 2012 - 13:03

I think they all just realized it would be easier to switch to Android.

#3 CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

• 6,848 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 13:09

I for one buy all my Apps; I support the Developer wherever possible and have always hated projects / communities like this.

#4 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• 7,924 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 13:20

I for one buy all my Apps; I support the Developer wherever possible and have always hated projects / communities like this.

You are just to gullible then as with just about ANY app/program, there is just about ALWAYS an equally as good free one.

I can't remember the last time/year I actually paid for any app or program. Personally, there is nothing out really worth paying for!!

This too!! :)

#5 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• 8,382 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 31 December 2012 - 13:53

I remember Jailbreaking and using Cydia and Installous on my 1G iPod Touch before we had the App Store, it was worth it then so you could install apps and customise your home screen and such.

But now you can do more or less the same things without needing to Jailbreak. So.. pointless.

#6 Guest_seanseany_*

Guest_seanseany_*

Posted 31 December 2012 - 13:55

Good , I don't like seeing small "Devs" getting ripped off ( on any platform) If it wasn't for these people then Android for instance wouldn't be what it is. Not sure about pricing on iOS , but you'd have to be a complete scum bag low life to pirate an app that cost a quid/dollar.

Im sure some apologist will be along to argue against this site being shut down, and plead how poor they are and they need to be free and not be oppressed ....... blah, blah, blah sob, sob, sob.

IMO shut down more and do it often .If you can afford the device you can afford the apps you cheap S.O.B peasants.

Happy new year to all :laugh:

#7 +sanke1

sanke1

• 2,872 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 14:11

Never used installous or anything. ₹ 55 for an app is too cheap to pirate.

#8 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,848 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 31 December 2012 - 14:13

was reading about this. i remember when i had my original iPod touch they used to provide apps before the app store even existed.

#9 Elliott

Elliott

Neowinian Senior

• 11,087 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 31 December 2012 - 14:14

It's definitely a lot easier to pirate hard work on Android.

#10 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,393 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 31 December 2012 - 14:35

You are just to gullible then as with just about ANY app/program, there is just about ALWAYS an equally as good free one.

I can't remember the last time/year I actually paid for any app or program. Personally, there is nothing out really worth paying for!!

Sometimes, but usually NO. not at all. and even when there is it's usually ad supported which is plain horrible.

and since you're using program and not just apps, what's an equally good free alternative to 3DS MAX and Photoshop ?

as for apps on mobile, what's an equally good free app to the iOS Day One journal app, for Android ?what's an equally good camera app to CameraFX or ProHDR Camera ? I tried a ton of free podCast apps before I finally caved in and bought Double Twist on my android phone.

#11 Jase

Jase

It's like..Kablammo!

• 9,819 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 14:42

Good riddance.

#12 javagreen

javagreen

Neowinian

• 1,439 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 14:43

I could never understand how it got famous. Like most out there I've installed and tried Installous just to see what the hype is all about. Installous basically just took me to another file hosting website which offered the ipa download. Pretty stupid, IMO.

I've literally just bought 2 paid apps, just 2 (biteSMS and Springtomize). Everything else that I wanted/needed was free. Among the free ones, I particularly value the Gridlock app.

#13 The Laughing Man

The Laughing Man

Neowinian Senior

• 2,964 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 14:44

Where one falls, another will rise.

#14 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• 803 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 31 December 2012 - 14:57

I always buy all my apps too. Just the other day I went back through my online banking and I've spent £100 on apps since 26th december last year!
Some probably spend way more, but I got quite a shock at just how much I had spent.

I always just think "Meh its only a few quid" but it certainly mounts up.
Things like iPhone are quite well protected and I had a friend who jailbroke his phone and nothing but problems since. So I've always just kept mine legit.

#15 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 25,933 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 15:09

I always buy all my apps too. Just the other day I went back through my online banking and I've spent £100 on apps since 26th december last year!
Some probably spend way more, but I got quite a shock at just how much I had spent.

I always just think "Meh its only a few quid" but it certainly mounts up.
Things like iPhone are quite well protected and I had a friend who jailbroke his phone and nothing but problems since. So I've always just kept mine legit.

I was going to pirate Angry Birds, but then I realized it was only .99 cents so I bought it.