ios piracy installous

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,783 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 21:18

They are not free with a contract, they are free with a down payment contract. Buy a regular pone and you get a cheaper contract.

$0.99 for an iPhone 4 is practically free. It's alot cheaper than $199 for an iPhone.

#32 Beyond Godlike

Beyond Godlike

Neowinian

• 1,103 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 21:31

It's definitely a lot easier to pirate hard work on Android.

LOL @ These iOS fanboys. The jailbreak mods were so universal that i cant imagine how anyone considered Android a more piracy friendly platform compared to iOS(unless they were doing based on counts rather than percentage rates, then ofc, android is FAR more popular). Every single person thats jailbroken their phone was a pirate pretty much because it was tons easier than on android.

As for ppl saying Paid apps are a ripoff, thats true on iOS, because almost everything costs money and the whole platform is designed to gouge you, straight from the overpriced yet underpowered device, to the apps.

On android, there are clear differences between most paid apps and their free counterparts.

As for this hackulous thing, pirates will always be pirates, so Apple just lost a little market share.

#33 javagreen

javagreen

Neowinian

• 1,439 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 22:10

that's how the term isheep came about

Don't show them the mirror, they aren't going to like the baa baa black sheep they see in it :p

#34 Manish

Manish

Neowinian Senior

• 1,538 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 22:53

LOL @ These iOS fanboys. The jailbreak mods were so universal that i cant imagine how anyone considered Android a more piracy friendly platform compared to iOS(unless they were doing based on counts rather than percentage rates, then ofc, android is FAR more popular). Every single person thats jailbroken their phone was a pirate pretty much because it was tons easier than on android.

:rolleyes: Yes, because jailbreaking is synonymous with pirating. Pretty much no-one jailbroke their iOS device in order to use unofficial customisations/tweaks.

As for ppl saying Paid apps are a ripoff, thats true on iOS, because almost everything costs money and the whole platform is designed to gouge you, straight from the overpriced yet underpowered device, to the apps.

Android apps cost 2.5X more than iPhone apps

Canalys attributes the price discrepancy to two factors:

• Apple's more mature, controlled retail environment, which allows in-app purchases and drives app price competitiveness
  • With fewer people willing to pay for apps on the Android Market, developers have to charge that much more to break even

Source: http://tech.fortune....an-iphone-apps/

In regards to the iPhone being an "underpowered device", I'd post benchmarks of the iPhone 5 outperforming Android devices out at the time, but there's no point bothering with someone that has a closed mind or is just ignorant.

#35 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• 9,978 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 31 December 2012 - 22:58

It doesn't matter if the app cost a single penny, piracy is a fact of life and people will always pirate, no matter what the cost of the app is. I think a lot of the time, it's more psychological, the "thrill" of getting away with piracy, then one not having the money to pay for an app.

#36 yowanvista

yowanvista

Neowinian Senior

• 1,695 posts
  • Phone: i9001-CM11-KitKat 4.4.4 - Kernel 3.4.102

Posted 31 December 2012 - 23:03

In regards to the iPhone being an "underpowered device", I'd post benchmarks of the iPhone 5 outperforming Android devices out at the time, but there's no point bothering with someone that has a closed mind or is just ignorant.

Benchmark scores are completely synthetic and, largely theoretical. They’re also heavily influenced by optimizations in the software and the way the OS runs the benchmarking app. In other words, they’re not really all that important. Who cares if the X Android device scored less than the iPhone 5? At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is how your phone performs in real world use. If you don’t perceive any lag or slowdown in your daily usage of the phone, that’s all that matters. Nobody cares how the benchmarks compare to the competition as long as the phone handles thrown at it. Benchmark scores only give us a baseline for the maximum performance output of a phone under a very specific set of circumstances, nothing more.

#37 Manish

Manish

Neowinian Senior

• 1,538 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:19

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is how your phone performs in real world use. Benchmark scores only give us a baseline for the maximum performance output of a phone under a very specific set of circumstances, nothing more.

Yes while I don't want to overplay the role of benchmarks, read my comment in the context of what I replied to; the intention wasn't to bash Android devices. In regards to the iPhone being potentially underpowered, I can only reference benchmarks as I cannot measure real world use. I could state my own experience of it not being laggy but that's hardly comparative or anything more than anecdotal.

#38 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,783 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 19:45

It doesn't matter if the app cost a single penny, piracy is a fact of life and people will always pirate, no matter what the cost of the app is. I think a lot of the time, it's more psychological, the "thrill" of getting away with piracy, then one not having the money to pay for an app.

I agree 100%.

#39 sathenzar

sathenzar

Neowinian

• 973 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 19:58

Personally I haven't rooted my android nexus 7 b/c I like paying for dev support. Being a programmer myself if I make an app and charge a small fee (ex. $0.99-2.99) I'd hope people would pay it to support me.

#40 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,705 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 01 January 2013 - 19:58

There's is no thrill about getting away with piracy, it's just the generation of kids today that expects to get everything they want, and to get it right now and not pay for it. they don't see consequences and they don't car about it. they simply don't want to pay for stuff if they don't have to.

#41 szo

szo

Neowinian

• 596 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:00

Yes while I don't want to overplay the role of benchmarks, read my comment in the context of what I replied to; the intention wasn't to bash Android devices. In regards to the iPhone being potentially underpowered, I can only reference benchmarks as I cannot measure real world use. I could state my own experience of it not being laggy but that's hardly comparative or anything more than anecdotal.

Yes, Anadtech says that the iphone/ipad cpu and gpu are somewhat the best at the moment. Ofcourse, android phones release like every week and there's bound to be a faster model. But the iphone 5 can stand on its own because it's highly optimized and there's very little lag if not at all.

#42 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,705 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:15

You are just to gullible then as with just about ANY app/program, there is just about ALWAYS an equally as good free one.

I can't remember the last time/year I actually paid for any app or program. Personally, there is nothing out really worth paying for!!

This too!! :)

Sometimes, but usually NO. not at all. and even when there is it's usually ad supported which is plain horrible.

and since you're using program and not just apps, what's an equally good free alternative to 3DS MAX and Photoshop ?

as for apps on mobile, what's an equally good free app to the iOS Day One journal app, for Android ?what's an equally good camera app to CameraFX or ProHDR Camera ? I tried a ton of free podCast apps before I finally caved in and bought Double Twist on my android phone.

Still waiting for corks reply. it's not like he ran away because he didn't have an answer or anything...

#43 qdave

qdave

Neowinian Senior

• 16,160 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:25

Was apprtacker part of hackulous?

#44 iascoot

iascoot

Neowinian

• 177 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:28

I did use Installous a few times for apps that I wasn't sure had the features I needed and I wanted to confirm first,
Always uninstalled then purchased the app if this was the case.
Not all apps are '99 cents'

Android does it right by letting you get a refund within 15minutes of purchase if you delete the app

#45 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,705 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:46

I did use Installous a few times for apps that I wasn't sure had the features I needed and I wanted to confirm first,
Always uninstalled then purchased the app if this was the case.
Not all apps are '99 cents'

Android does it right by letting you get a refund within 15minutes of purchase if you delete the app

Apple lets you have a refun within reasonable time if you contact them, that's better than 15 minutes which in some situations is long before you can even use the app.

they used to do it right when it was 24 hours, they should have dropped it to 12 or at most 6 hours, the 15 minute thing is ridiculous and they might as well have just removed it altogether.