• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,751 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:11

Was apprtacker part of hackulous?

Hackulo.us community was for people who used Installous. They owned Apptrackr, and designed Installous to be able to download straight to the iPhone/iPod/iPad.

So, yes.

#47 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,121 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:23

They are not free with a contract, they are free with a down payment contract. Buy a regular pone and you get a cheaper contract.

That isn't necessarily so. Verizon and AT&T in the US just have their plans and that is it. Bring your own phone, get one of their subsidized phones under a 2 year contract...makes no difference in your monthly bill except that they require all smartphones to have a data plan (feature phones can be voice only).

I admit, I used Installeous once to install Sparrow to check it out. I found out that it wasn't worth the hype and uninstalled it. Then I uninstalled installeous. That whole thing reeked of malware vectors.

#48 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,497 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:46

Yeah, but the you're still,on one of the overpriced plans, with the ridiculous 2 years contracts. Good thing 12 months is the max contract time for consumers over here.

#49 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,121 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 17:17

Yeah, but the you're still,on one of the overpriced plans, with the ridiculous 2 years contracts. Good thing 12 months is the max contract time for consumers over here.

That is why you see the stories about Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T sales staff pushing consumers to Android instead of iPhone. iPhone 16GB is $650 and the big 3 sell subsidized for $200. Meanwhile, a new 16GB Android or WP phone costs $500 and the big 3 subsidized for $200. They make more money off a customer if they go with Android than iPhone because Apple requires a LOT of subsidization to be on a network.

You get the same plan either way, so IMO the iPhone is better if you are going with a 2-year subsidized contract. With an AT&T subsidized iPhone for $200, you can use for 2 years and then have AT&T unlock the phone and actually re-sell it for about $350. Try and sell a 2 year old Android phone for more than $50.

It is what it is and has nothing to do with being an iSheep or a Fandroid. Used Apple **** has amazingly high resell value, especially old unlocked iPhones.

I'm starting to prefer going straight to unlocked and using pay-as-you-go networks here because they are a LOT cheaper month-to-month (although lack LTE). The unlocked 16GB Nexus 4 was a steal at $350, so I went with that one for this round.

#50 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

• 1,955 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 13:48

Yet they can afford an iPhone?

$0 on contract, and a phone of some sort is a necessity, so the plan cost isn't an optiona expense that could be cut out to pay for apps.