• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,463 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 18:25

Posted Image

Cisco may be preparing to dump its Linksys wireless router division, according to Bloomberg.

The tech giant has reportedly contracted Barclays to aid in the sale of Linksys, which it acquired in 2003 for $500 million (£309 million).

Crediting the news to sources with "knowledge of the situation", the report claims that Cisco’s home wireless router subsidiary will be sold at a marked down price point due to its “low margins”.

Linksys may prove to be an attractive proposition to TV set manufacturers looking to tap into its brand cache and in-house technologies.

The sale is part of the Cicsco's ongoing strategy to shift from the consumer market and focus on its corporate and enterprise service units.

This strategy was demonstrated by the 2011 termination of its Flip camera business and a mass layoff of 14 per cent of its global workforce, which has claimed 11,500 jobs to date.

Neither Cisco nor Barclays has commented on the rumours thus far.

Source

Source

#2 Jeston

Jeston

Neowinian Senior

• 3,768 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 20:58

Good, hopefully whoever buys it starts putting Broadcom back in the routers instead of Marvel so we can start using dd-wrt again!

#3 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,900 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 21:10

Good, hopefully whoever buys it starts putting Broadcom back in the routers instead of Marvel so we can start using dd-wrt again!

I'd just be thrilled if the routers actually worked! God, Linksys has been garbage for years... I hope someone is able to turn them around, but Cisco certainly seems to be having their share of problems...

#4 trek

trek

7 / X

• 2,926 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 22:50

Good. Cisco enterprise equipment is awesome but the consumer division they inherited blew balls.

#5 myxomatosis

myxomatosis

Shrinking Universe

• 1,318 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 22:57

Oh well… I got a Linksys WRT610N running Tomato USB (480@533Mhz). This router is rock-solid since I bought it 4 years ago. Can't complain. The stock firmware is poop though, I gotta admit.

#6 Belazor

Belazor

Neowinian

• 581 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:31

You mean to say my old WRT54G or whatever it's called that I recently pilfered from my old stash at my mother's place is still current? :p

#7 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,433 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:33

You mean to say my old WRT54G or whatever it's called that I recently pilfered from my old stash at my mother's place is still current? :p

My mom still uses one, and I have 2 of them down stairs!.

#8 Belazor

Belazor

Neowinian

• 581 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:41

Back in my day there was no stinkin' N or 5GHz or AC networks! We connected to our wifi networks uphill in 40ft of interference both ways!

#9 Snake89

Snake89

Neowinian

• 767 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:46

I'm still using a WRT54G, only because will it just works for what i need.

#10 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• 2,440 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 'Space Grey' (64GB)

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:01

It is a pretty pitiful situation in the world of routers these days; Belkin is hit and miss, Netgear can't seem to get their website to work properly let alone provide timely firmware updates for their products, Linksys used to be the standard barer but that is since evaporates which leaves me with d-link where I bought a DSL-2870B which has been performing pretty well so far but my fingers are crossed. The biggest problem is that there is, like the PC world, a race to the bottom with a lack of real quality modem routers/stand alone routers for those of us who don't mind paying a little bit more for a better product.

#11 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 9,018 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:30

I run a Cisco modem/router. Best I've had.

Shame about Linksys really. I hate when companies buy decent products and run them into the ground. Tax right off no doubt.

#12 -T-

-T-

Trapmaster

• 2,589 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:41

I had a WRT54G, amazing router. Put whoever designed that, in charge, and get back to making awesome hardware

#13 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 17 January 2013 - 15:31

My WRT 54G only lasted a week... barely...

#14 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• 10,846 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 15:37

It is a pretty pitiful situation in the world of routers these days; Belkin is hit and miss, Netgear can't seem to get their website to work properly let alone provide timely firmware updates for their products, Linksys used to be the standard barer but that is since evaporates which leaves me with d-link where I bought a DSL-2870B which has been performing pretty well so far but my fingers are crossed. The biggest problem is that there is, like the PC world, a race to the bottom with a lack of real quality modem routers/stand alone routers for those of us who don't mind paying a little bit more for a better product.

belkin is just miss :p

On the lower-end these days I'm a fan of TP-Link for low priced routers that aren't total crap :) For higher end there's good models from various manufacturers, just gotta look for reviews. Asus has some pretty nice higher end routers.

#15 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,583 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 17 January 2013 - 15:39

Enterprise Equipment is where its at like Cisco's Aironet Ap's :yes:

Forget about consumer routers. Consumer = Crap;

Posted Image

FTW!