bug

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#16 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 88

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:02

What's wrong with it? It's just a normal ad, you aren't required to click it. Blocking them makes it more difficult to fund the website overall and it's a fact of life we need them to pay for everything.

It's only malicious when popups appear and require you to interact with the ad, in which case we will do something about it to get that ad removed.

#17 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:23

Did anyone check the app the ad pushed when clicked to check what it was?

#18 ingramator

ingramator

Hacker

• Phone: Lumia 920, iPhone 5, GS3

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:49

Did anyone check the app the ad pushed when clicked to check what it was?

If your on mobile it directs you to a premium SMS scamming site (you enter your number and reply to a text then get hit with ridiculous bills). As for the desktop redirect I haven't checked it out because I'm not getting the ad anymore, might change UA string and see what comes up, if there's a download I'll take it apart and see what's going on. I'm still not sure how Neowin's ad system works, is it just number of places-amount of unique IPs seing it or is it click based?

#19 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:02

What's wrong with it? It's just a normal ad, you aren't required to click it. Blocking them makes it more difficult to fund the website overall and it's a fact of life we need them to pay for everything.

It's only malicious when popups appear and require you to interact with the ad, in which case we will do something about it to get that ad removed.

Normal ad that takes you to a SMS scamming site...

#20 OP Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 January 2013 - 15:34

Wow...

Normal ad that takes you to a SMS scamming site...

I don't think he cares...

#21 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 88

Posted 29 January 2013 - 15:38

We have no control over what happens after you click an ad. If an ad is doing something on this site without you clicking on it, that is when I want to know and I'll take action for you!

I really don't understand the deal here :p There are also ads that want you to play a game online and it costs money to proceed to the next level or you need to buy things in order to continue, I think those are a scam too, but they are perfectly legal in most countries. I choose to simply ignore those ads and not click on them :)

#22 OP Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 January 2013 - 15:41

We have no control over what happens after you click an ad. If an ad is doing something on this site without you clicking on it, that is when I want to know and I'll take action for you!

I really don't understand the deal here :p There are also ads that want you to play a game online and it costs money to proceed to the next level or you need to buy things in order to continue, I think those are a scam too, but they are perfectly legal in most countries. I choose to simply ignore those ads and not click on them :)

Fair enough I'd like to think everyone here is smart enough not to fall for that crap.

#23 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 29 January 2013 - 15:44

+1 how is that malicious?

#24 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 29 January 2013 - 15:46

+1 how is that malicious?

I thought the same too when I read the topic but didn't want to say due to fear of backlash

Malicious to me mean virus/spyware threat.

#25 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 29 January 2013 - 15:47

Why am I not surprised this is a typical overreaction than a real issue? Sorry but I don't buy the whole "accidental" clicking on an ad, I've never done it and been using the Net since it was the Internet and AOL/Compuserve qere kings :p

#26 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 29 January 2013 - 15:49

And there are ads on most web sites. No biggie.

#27 Co-ords

Co-ords

Neowinian faithful one

Posted 29 January 2013 - 16:07

Install Ghostery to block that kind of stuff. Check it out - http://www.ghostery.com/

#28 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Apple iPhone 4S

Posted 29 January 2013 - 20:43

I think this is resolved then.