bin laden navy seal

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#31 sidroc

sidroc

The critic

• 4,864 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:29

Wasn't their a reward money for Osama's head? Why did he not get a portion of that?

#32 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:35

Wasn't their a reward money for Osama's head? Why did he not get a portion of that?

Because he was a U.S. Government employee (a soldier on a mission), not a bounty hunter, therefore they do not get the reward. They get a simple "Thank you for serving your country. Good job" and a pad on the back.

#33 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:38

Obama put all members of Seal Team 6 lives in jeopardy when he reveled what Team was involved. He never should have done that.

#34 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:19

The problem seems to be that "The Shooter" left the military well before the 20-year requirement for retirement benefits.

That's a no-no. He should know better than that.

#35 Nathaniel Smith_329019

Nathaniel Smith_329019

Neowinian

• 95 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:34

Those men are out there, risking their lives, leaving their families behind to fight in another country on the other side of the world and do their best to slow down terrorism, keep people like Bin Laden away from your families and your countries so you can enjoy the freedoms you have without worry. I think they deserve some respect, don't you think?

I will not disrespect the military but we have real big problems at home. Bring the troops home. Take care of them and the elderly because we will soon be them.

#36 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,758 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:00

I was hoping he would say:

I put two in his heart, one in his computer...

#37 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,354 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 12 February 2013 - 16:05

Very true, but that doesn't mean we have to be disrespectful to him.

Do you respect your garbage man? Do you wish him get a job when he lost his job?

#38 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 16:25

Do you respect your garbage man? Do you wish him get a job when he lost his job?

So what are you telling me, that this man is garbage? Seriously?

Of course I wish him the best and I wish he would get a job. WTF is wrong with you? Do you have any respect for our U.S. Military personnel? The same military personnel that safe guards your freedom and your life. Have a little more respect for those guys. They are not garbage.

#39 Nerd Rage

Nerd Rage

RAGE!

• 891 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 16:34

So what are you telling me, that this man is garbage? Seriously?

You missed his point. He referred to a garbage man, which is a profession, not an insult.

#40 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 16:43

You missed his point. He referred to a garbage man, which is a profession, not an insult.

Oh my bad. Yes, I do respect my garbage man and I have absolute respect for everyone. It doesn't matter if they pick up garbage or not. A lot of people who have such jobs are there because of lack of resources to get a better education and therefore cannot get a better job. Also, a lot of those people who do that type of job are there because they cannot find something better. Good, high paying jobs are hard to find these days. Most companies will not hire you unless you have a bachelors degree, even if the bachelors degree has nothing to do with the job they are offering you. They just want you to have one. I guess in their eyes having a bachelors degree makes you smarter, which is completely wrong.

Just because someone picks up garbage, doesn't mean they are less important. Everyone is important, so yes, I wish those who pick up garbage would be able to find a better job. Why not? Everyone deserves to have a good job and a good life.

#41 Empyrean Glow

Empyrean Glow

Neowinian

• 44 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 12 February 2013 - 16:49

He should have just rode out his last 4 years in a desk job, or going around giving little speeches, since that's likely all he'd have been doing for the remainder of his career.

I'm not exactly sure what he was expecting; it takes a bit for any sort of disability payments to kick in, and the military doesn't just hand out civilian jobs after separation. I'd think after 16 years in, he'd have figured out how the system works.

#42 Nerd Rage

Nerd Rage

RAGE!

• 891 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 16:53

I'm not exactly sure what he was expecting; it takes a bit for any sort of disability payments to kick in, and the military doesn't just hand out civilian jobs after separation. I'd think after 16 years in, he'd have figured out how the system works.

Exactly. Being in the military that long, he knew what was going to happen if he got out before 20. It's kind of underhanded in my opinion for him to be acting shocked and hurt by this when he knew darn well that was going to happen if he dropped.

My wife is in the marine corps and she hates it. That being said, she knows the benefit of staying in to hit her 20, so that's what she is doing.

I have the utmost respect for this guy and the sacrifices he has made, but it was his choice to join the military and his choice to leave before the 20 year mark. In regards to it impacting his family life, he could have gone into the reserves. I doubt that one weekend per month is going to take a huge toll on the family life.

#43 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,102 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 12 February 2013 - 17:10

He left early knowing the consequences of doing so. Should we really be expected to feel sorry for this guy? He could go to any publisher and get six-figures without even trying or he could become a celebrity and do the chat-show circuit. As for the lack of a pension or healthcare, that's an issue with the US in general rather than something specific to military personnel. In terms of protection, if his life is genuinely at risk for serving his country then he should obviously be entitled to protection for himself and his family. That said, for PR reasons the government should have treated the SEAL unit as heroes and allowed them to retire with full perks.

Personally I think the killing of Bin Laden speaks to the problems with the culture of the US military, in that unarmed people are executed rather than facing trial for their crimes. There is no desire for justice, only retribution. This guy isn't solely responsible for that, obviously, but he carried out orders which any normal person should consider wrong. As they say, two wrongs don't make a right.

#44 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 17:15

That other seal that was murdered had 150 confirmed kills as a sniper. You do what you do in the Military and one has to have the type of personality where this type of thing does not bother him. I thank God for these types of people and wish the remaining members of Seal Team 6, nothing but the best.

#45 Empyrean Glow

Empyrean Glow

Neowinian

• 44 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 12 February 2013 - 17:21

Personally I think the killing of Bin Laden speaks to the problems with the culture of the US military, in that unarmed people are executed rather than facing trial for their crimes. There is no desire for justice, only retribution.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what, precisely, would you think a trial would accomplish in a matter such as this? He put out a series of videos and statements saying that he and his organization were responsible for the deaths of a few thousand people, and would be fully willing and able to continue committing such acts. Unless your stance is purely that of someone unequivocally against the death penalty.

Also, I'm not sure where you get this idea that this is exclusive to the US military.