21 replies to this topic

#16 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:22

Instructions on how to root it here, on this hideous site
http://android.syokz...ware-2012-2013/

Apparently you can flash the S ROMs to the SL, but do not flash the kernel or you lose the 1.7GHz on the CPU (But I guess with a custom OC kernel you could easily get it back up there)
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1949670

And
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1921865

Looks like these guys should know more too
http://rootzwiki.com...m/532-xperia-s/

Off topic, tried the latest ROM build, 4.2.2, for my transformer you recommended. Tried the kernel with it to but the phone kept getting stuck on "starting apps". Fast without the kernel tho and better than AOKP.

Now back on topic...haha

#17 YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:30

Search for your phone on xda developers, boom done. They have pretty clear instructions typically lol and the appropriate topics pinned.

Welcome rooting is fun and can be made to fit you.

I have tons of fun using a phone that wasnt made to have JB :) smooth and new kernel

#18 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:32

Haha actually I recommend EOS3 #81 with K.A.T kernel #69, I was just letting you know 4.2.2 was available :)

The 4.2.x builds have not been ready for full time for me, #81 is as close to perfect as you can get for the Transformer imo

#19 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:35

Haha actually I recommend EOS3 #81 with K.A.T kernel #69, I was just letting you know 4.2.2 was available :)

The 4.2.x builds have not been ready for full time for me, #81 is as close to perfect as you can get for the Transformer imo

I know what you recommended...but had to try 4.2.2 anyway...haha. Have not had any problems with it so far.

Anyway, dont want to derail this topic to much. A sticky post needs to be made to discuss this kind of thing.

#20 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 26 February 2013 - 15:36

Just a few words of caution:

1. You'll need to root before more apps are available to you. Of course there are plenty if you plan not to root your XSL.

2. I won't suggest you flashing custom ROM, at least yet. Unlocking BL is a irreversible process, unlike Nexus.

3. Be prepared not receiving update from Sony. If you don't care then it's all good.

#21 Redmak

Redmak

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 42
  • Phone: HTC One

Posted 26 February 2013 - 15:46

Are you sure on that only 512 usable for apps?

I'm currently running SEMC 0.3 which is using CM10 as a base on my Xperia S and I have 720mb usable for running apps.

Regarding the camera, when you run custom roms that aren't based on stock so AOKP,ASOP etc you will currently get a worse camera than what Sony offer due to driver issues. Till Sony release the JB version of stock there isn't much that can be done about that though. There are some stock ROMS out there that have updated the camera software to that of the Z/T with extra options on which can improve images.

I admit to preferring the custom roms mainly as I prefer the blue icons compared to the outdated offerings from Sony.

Also it allows the battery bar with percentage as mentioned.

Nice background :). Care to share it?

#22 Belazor

Belazor

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:19

Nice background :). Care to share it?

+1, I love the WP too :D