7 posts in this topic

Posted

[quote]
When the WebM project was [url="http://blog.webmproject.org/2010/05/introducing-webm-open-web-media-project.html"]announced back in 2010[/url], one its selling points was that it was open and free of the licensing needs imposed by competitors like H.264. That may have been slightly overstated, however, as Google and MPEG LA have just entered into a licensing agreement covering the video codec at the heart of the format. The codec is known as VP8, and while no financial figures are disclosed the agreement covers various patents from 11 different parties. Google also gains the ability to sublicense those technologies out to VP8 users, clearing the way for the company to push adoption of VP8

Posted

as non DRM formats already ready-ly available to public,
i wont support the new format if its DRM ridden.

Posted

[quote name='Torolol' timestamp='1362701396' post='595565088']
as non DRM formats already ready-ly available to public,
i wont support the new format if its DRM ridden.
[/quote]

Then you won't get access to movies etc. I can understand why companies want DRM. The issue I have with DRM is the way some companies have implemented it i.e. Games that are online only, music CD's that install rootkits etc.

Posted

Last time I encoded in WebM it took FOR FREAKING EVER and still was super ugly compared to h.264.
1 person likes this

Posted

A good move on Google's part. Now they won't have to worry about legal problems regarding this issue down the road.

Posted

This would be awesome if VP8 was as good as H.264. Maybe VP9 is, but it's also the last version allowed by this agreement.

The problem with VP8/9 vs H.264 is that H.264 is what TV is encoded in for OTA transmission, and what most Blu-rays are encoded in. It's supported natively by Windows and Mac, and it has a plethora of open source tools that support it like FFMPEG and X264. It's what the vast majority of video streamed on the internet is encoded in. It's what the vast majority of TV and movies are pirated in. And, on top of all that it is a great quality codec.
1 person likes this

Posted

And yet h264 is still clearly superior.
Not to mention that h265