Photo

'Red wine pill' could cure major diseases

international study resveratrol sirtuin protein fluorophore “greasy” amino acids genetic defenses

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,506 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 23:58

The good news is red wine can cure cancer. The bad news is you'd need to drink 100 glasses a day.

While David Sinclair doesn't recommend that, his work has shown red wine can have health benefits after all. And if things according to plan, they'll be available in a 'red wine pill.'

The Australian biologist said an international study, published Friday in the journal Science, had settled a controversy over whether resveratrol, a natural compound found in red wine, can fight cancer, Alzheimer's and type 2 diabetes.

Ten years ago scientists found resveratrol could activate a “sirtuin” protein known to combat age-related diseases. But the claim was disputed because the reaction could only be observed when a fluorescent chemical known as fluorophore was present.

The new study, which also involved American and Portuguese researchers, showed resveratrol could have the desired effect in the absence of the synthetic chemical.

Sinclair, who shares his time between Harvard and the University of NSW, said fluorophore mimicked “greasy” amino acids that exist naturally in the body.

“It's as we thought – resveratrol really does turn on this anti-aging enzyme," Sinclair said.

“It's more elegant and exciting than just mopping up free radicals. It's activating our body's genetic defenses against aging and diseases. That's probably more effective than any anti-oxidant.”

On the downside, red wine only contains low concentrations of the compound. But Sinclair said synthetic drugs that work the same way but with 100 times the potency could be available in five years.

more

#2 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,462 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:55

eff that nothin can beat the real deal.

wine and skooma cured mine. :cat:

#3 webeagle12

webeagle12

Neowinian Senior

• 7,296 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:14

The bad news is you'd need to drink 100 glasses a day.

Posted Image

#4 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 00:57

The good news is red wine can cure cancer. The bad news is you'd need to drink 100 glasses a day.

I'll drink to that.

#5 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• 3,022 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:17

I'll drink to that.

from recent posts i assume you drink alot :p

#6 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:35

from recent posts i assume you drink alot :p

What makes me assume that? Hick!

#7 McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

• 6,027 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 6

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:54

Maybe you'd cure the cancer before you drank yourself to death :)