Hum

The latest: a study to be published in the journal ?Cancer Cell International."

1. Red wine may promote heart health.

Studies suggest that a compound in red wine called resveratrol may function as an antioxidant, lowering cholesterol levels and staving off blockage in heart vessels. The result: a lower risk of developing diabetes and heart disease.

2. It may reduce men?s risk of developing prostate cancer.

Research published in ?Harvard Men?s Health Watch? found that men who drank an average of four to seven glasses of red wine a week were half as likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer as those who didn?t drink the stuff at all.

3. Drinking a bit of red wine on the regular could keep the blues away.

Last year, a study published in the journal ?BMC Medicine? found that people over 55 who drank a glass of alcohol a day were less likely to be depressed than those who drank more or less. One possible explanation: resveratrol may have neuroprotective properties.

4. Even if you eat a ton, red wine might add years to your life.

A 2006 Harvard study found that mice on a high-calorie diet lived longer when they consumed resveratrol. (This one?s like having your cake and eating it, too.)

5. It goes so well with your food.

The Mediterranean Diet, which experts say is one of the healthiest out there, is all about drinking a glass of red wine with dinner every night.

more

• Like 1
DocM

Yup, but in moderation. I often have a glass with dinner.

Hum

Seems to me ordinary grape juice can give you the same benefits, without the alcohol.

• Like 2
Bi4me

Seems to me ordinary grape juice can give you the same benefits, without the alcohol.

It is indeed the alcohol that makes wine good for the heart. It makes blood circulate faster.

+Mirumir

Studies suggest that a compound in red wine called resveratrol 

Resveratrol is found in the skin of red grapes

It should also be noted that only the dry red wine could be considered beneficial. Sweet, semi-sweet, and semi-dry wines have too much sugar in them rendering all the benefits useless. The same is also true for white and sparkling wines.

• Like 3
riahc3

Hello,

I personally hate wine and beer.

• Like 2
+Mirumir

Hello,

I personally hate wine and beer.

Thanks for sharing this because I was going to make a wine poll after you posted that comment in the beer thread ;)

riahc3

Hello,

Thanks for sharing this because I almost made a wine poll after you posted that comment in the beer thread ;)

Its just that wine/beer are not only disgusting but......lets face it..........weak.

Nothing like a good Vodka :)

Nick H.

The only problem I have with red wine is that I can't have more than a couple of glasses, otherwise I start to turn the colour of the bottle's contents. :laugh:

0nyX

Oh god wine...

You can just serve me the migrane straight forward.

• 2 weeks later...
soniqstylz

Bacchus be praised.

• Like 1
(Account no longer active)

Note this study refers to "pure" wine, not the cheap wine bottled chemicals sold today (they would have opposite effects).

offroadaaron

Note this study refers to "pure" wine, not the cheap wine bottled chemicals sold today (they would have opposite effects).

I dunno what wine your getting but there is pure decent cheap wine.

DocM

^ true. Here in Michigan we have a thriving small winery community (70+) and their old-school wines are commonplace, affordable and very tasty. I'm certain many other states have similar wines. California etc.

TAZMINATOR

Yup there are some cheap ones that are good.

Sometimes I drink it with dinner.

DocM

Wines from around Traverse City MI are usually good. Same or similar latitude as Bordeaux, Burgundy and Alsace with cool breezes off Lake Michigan help a lot.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By JustinCharlier
      Apple reportedly has a secret team developing diabetes sensors for the Apple Watch
      by Justin Luna

The Apple Watch can monitor your heart rate The Apple Watch isn't simply just another smartwatch out there in the market. Aside from the power of accessing apps right from your wrist, it also can track your health, and see how your heart is doing.

With that in mind, it seems that Apple is exerting more effort towards using technology to better monitor your well-being. According to a report by CNBC, Apple has hired a small team of biomedical engineers to work in an office in Palo Alto to develop sensors that can non-invasively and continuously monitor blood sugar levels to better treat diabetes.

The Cupertino company has also reportedly been conducting feasibility trials at clinical stores across the San Francisco Bay Area, and has hired consultants to figure out regulatory pathways.

This "super secret initiative" was initially envisioned by the late Apple CEO Steve Jobs, and the effort has been going on for at least five years, say the sources close to CNBC. Jobs envisioned wearable devices, like smartwatches, being used to monitor important body vitals, such as oxygen levels, heart rate, and blood glucose.

Sources also state that Apple is developing optical sensors, which involve shining light through the skin to measure levels of glucose. In turn, this could help improve diagnosis of patients, as well as more accurate treatment for them.

Should the initiative become a total breakthrough, it could make devices like the Apple Watch a must-have product, especially for people who suffer from diabetes, instead of making it simply an accessory that complements our smartphones and fashion sense.

Apple , however, has not publicly commented regarding the report.

The Apple Watch is already being used towards improving the health of people around the world. In London, England, a hospital was found to be using the Apple wearable to remind chemotherapy patients in taking their medication. Also, the watch's heart rate monitor was able to help save a man's life in California, with the device's findings matching up to a doctor's test.

Source: CNBC via The Next Web | Image via Apple

• By Hum
      Drink a 20-ounce soda daily, and you may be causing your cells to age as much as they would if you smoked, a study suggests. Researchers investigated DNA from 5,309 adults, focusing on telomeres, the caps on the ends of our cells' chromosomes, Time reports.

They found that drinking sugary soda was associated with shorter telomeres?and it's known that telomere length may be linked to life span, according to a University of California-San Francisco report.

Shorter telomeres also appear to be linked to heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. In the study, a daily 20-ounce soda was associated with an extra 4.6 years of aging?the same figure seen in smokers.

About 21 percent of subjects said they drank that much soda daily, while the average intake was 12 ounces. Researchers also looked at the effects of diet soda and fruit juice on telomeres; while "100 percent fruit juice was marginally associated with longer telomeres," they write in the American Journal of Public Health, diet sodas and non-carbonated "sugar-sweetened beverages" weren't associated with telomere length.

Still, the study points to the dangers of soda beyond its role in obesity. "The extremely high dose of sugar that we can put into our body within seconds by drinking sugared beverages is uniquely toxic to metabolism," says a study author.

source
    • By Hum
      Potatoes

Mickey D's uses varieties like the Russet Burbank, which have a nice oval shape and just the right balance of starch and sugar. Excess sugar can cause a fry to have brown spots where it's over-caramelized, leaving a burnt taste and deviating from the uniform yellow-arches color. Just in case, the spuds are blanched after slicing, removing surplus sugar.

Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate

Taters can turn a nasty hue even after they're fried?iron in the spud reacts with the potato's phenolic compounds, discoloring the tissue. The phosphate ions in SAPP trap the iron ions, stalling the reaction and keeping the potatoes nice and white throughout the process.

Vegetable Oil

In the good old days, McDonald's fries were cooked in beef tallow. But customer demand for less saturated fat prompted a switch to vegetable oil in the early '90s. Here, that means oils of varying saturations combined into something reminiscent of beef tallow. There's canola (about 8 percent saturated fat), soybean oil (16 percent), and hydrogenated soybean oil (94 percent). And to replace the essence of beef tallow? ?Natural beef flavor,? which contains hydrolyzed wheat and milk proteins that could be a source of meaty-tasting amino acids.

More Vegetable Oil

That's right, the fries get two batches of vegetable oil?one for par-frying at the factory and another for the frying bath on location. The second one adds corn oil and an additive called TBHQ, or tertbutylhydroquinone, which at high doses can cause nasty side effects in rats (mmmm ? stomach tumors). McDonald's uses this oil for all its frying, so the stuff usually sits around in big vats, which means it can go rancid as oxygen plucks hydrogens from lipids. TBHQ acts as an antioxidant, replacing those pilfered hydrogens with its own supply.

Dextrose

A brief dip in a corn-based sugar solution replaces just enough of the natural sweet stuff that was removed by blanching. The result is a homogeneous outer layer that caramelizes evenly. You'll add more sugar later when you squirt on the ketchup.

Salt

Sprinkled on just after frying, the crystals are a uniform diameter?just big enough to get absorbed quickly by crackling-hot oil. Now add ketchup and you've achieved the hedonistic trifecta: fat, salt, and sugar.

source
    • By Hum
      David Cincotta was going about his business at a gas station in North Babylon, N.Y., last month when he noticed something troubling: a car rolling backward.

Cincotta, 43, ran after the car, managed to get inside, and put on the brakes before the vehicle could roll onto the street and into oncoming traffic, all of which was caught on tape by a security camera.

Cincotta, a father of six, spoke to WABC in New York about hearing the screams of the kids and giving chase. "I didn't even think," he said. "It was just 'Go.'"

What make's Cincotta's heroics even more impressive is his medical condition: Cincotta can't run.

"I have neuropathy up through my hips from diabetes, so I trip a lot, just walking," Cincotta said. "So for me to run, any of my friends who saw the video were like, 'I never seen you run like that.' Me, neither."

Gas station worker Naqqash Chaudhry told WABC, "I have no doubt in my mind that car would have been hit and those kids would have been injured."

The security footage shows the children's mother initially giving chase, but falling to the ground. The car then rolled over her leg. Cincotta jumped into the car and stopped it.

Cincotta told WABC that he hasn't talked to the mother since the incident last month, but that she did thank him profusely. "She gave me a big hug. She was crying, 'Thank you, thank you, thank you.'"

Despite the car having rolled over her leg, the mother reportedly suffered only minor injuries.

source & video