• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5 16 GB

Posted 16 March 2013 - 20:47

What does that gain you? Does it make Steam itself faster? Games will load slowly, or am I missing something?

Steam games that are installed on my SSD load very quick. However, the games from my Steam library that are installed on my HDD load normally.

#17 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 16 March 2013 - 22:09

The one I have in Mind the Intel one is it the best there is on the market at the Moment? Are they better than Kingston?

At the moment Samsung 840 Pro is the best. Intel was the best when they used their own controllers, and they have a new controller coming out to enterprise SSDs and hopefully will be brought down to consumer SSDs in the future, but right now they're using customized Sandforce controllers so I wouldn't put such a premium on Intel's quality for now.

Steam games that are installed on my SSD load very quick. However, the games from my Steam library that are installed on my HDD load normally.

Why don't you just install steam on the SSD and make a new library on the HDD? Steam itself barely takes up any space.

#18 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 March 2013 - 23:39

Why don't you just install steam on the SSD and make a new library on the HDD? Steam itself barely takes up any space.

Hmm, I think you missed the point. The Intel SSD I had was a spare, so I just put it in my desktop. I already had the Samsung 830 as my boot drive on my desktop, so I decided to install Steam on the Intel SSD, and keep it filled with games (less than 2GB of free space on the Intel SSD). I also created another Steam library on my HDD, as an overflow, so I could install games that don't fit on the Intel SSD.

#19 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 March 2013 - 23:48

Hmm, I think you missed the point. The Intel SSD I had was a spare, so I just put it in my desktop. I already had the Samsung 830 as my boot drive on my desktop, so I decided to install Steam on the Intel SSD, and keep it filled with games (less than 2GB of free space on the Intel SSD). I also created another Steam library on my HDD, as an overflow, so I could install games that don't fit on the Intel SSD.

Sorry I was responding to this part, quoted the wrong thing.

You can install Steam to your HDD, then you can create a Steam library on your SSD, to which you can install games to, if you really want.

#20 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 March 2013 - 23:56

Sorry I was responding to this part, quoted the wrong thing.

Sorry, I mixed up the words SSD and HDD. You can install Steam and some gamesto your SSD, and then you can create a Steam library on your HDD, to which you can install more games to, if you really want (as an overflow - games are big and generally many won't fit on an SSD)

#21 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 March 2013 - 23:56

yea, that makes sense, what i do too (though games don't usually need a lot of disk activity anyways)

#22 OP +mkol

mkol

mkol

• Phone: Google Nexus 5 32gb

Posted 20 March 2013 - 17:43

Right Guys I have made my mind up after reading reviews I am going to buy Samsung 840pro tomorrow.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!