LG Optimus Pro or Galaxy Note 2?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 rwx

rwx

Neowinian

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:54

Hello everyone,

I am trying to decide between LG Optimus Pro and the Galaxy Note 2.

I have been reading reviews and watching youTube videos and they both seem very very nice.

I am leaning towards the LG as it seems to have better specs but that S-PEN seems like a really nice add-on to the Galaxy Note II.

Which one would you choose?

The phone must come with removable battery and expandable storage. No exceptions and both of these have that (as far as I am aware).

I am an Android user and this will be my third Android phone.

Thanks

#2 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:24

I NEVER use my s-pen. Just saying.

#3 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:26

Me, personally, from the two, Optimus Pro

LG Optimus G Pro over Samsung Galaxy Note II

• Higher resolution 1080p display, higher pixel density
  • Smaller footprint and a tad lighter body
  • 13MP camera with HDR support
  • Faster CPU (1.7GHz Krait 300 vs. 1.6GHz Cortex A9) and Faster GPU (Adreno 320 vs Mali-400)
  • True Full HD IPS LCD has more accurate colors than Super AMOLED
  • Built-in IR sensor for advanced remote-control functionality (if you care for that)

Samsung Galaxy Note II over LG Optimus G Pro

• AMOLED screen with superior contrast
  • Readily available in stores
  • Cheaper
  • Gorilla Glass 2-protected screen
  • S Pen and Wacom digitizer

Only thing really, in the favor of Note II is the S Pen. If that is not necessary, I'd say Optimus Pro is better

#4 tanjiajun_34

tanjiajun_34

Neowinian

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:34

Hello everyone,

I am trying to decide between LG Optimus Pro and the Galaxy Note 2.

I have been reading reviews and watching youTube videos and they both seem very very nice.

I am leaning towards the LG as it seems to have better specs but that S-PEN seems like a really nice add-on to the Galaxy Note II.

Which one would you choose?

The phone must come with removable battery and expandable storage. No exceptions and both of these have that (as far as I am aware).

I am an Android user and this will be my third Android phone.

Thanks

For software updates or customer support, never trust LG.
Why not take the HTC One? Just suggesting...

#5 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:52

Samsung have REALLY dragged their heels on software updates for the Note 2!

#6 mr_sock_00

mr_sock_00

Neowinian

• Phone: LG L7

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:07

Why not take the HTC One? Just suggesting...

software update != HTC

#7 tanjiajun_34

tanjiajun_34

Neowinian

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:13

Samsung have REALLY dragged their heels on software updates for the Note 2!

Samsung can be counted the best among all OEMs in updates.
  • Samsung Galaxy S3 is the first to get 4.1 excluding customs roms and Nexus devices. Faster than HTC One X....
  • The S3 is released a month earlier than the LG Optimus 4X HD but 4x HD is still at ICS while S3 is at 4.1.2 (4.2 if including leaks on XDA forums)
  • Samsung Galaxy S3 got some of the Note 2's extra features such as multiwindow smart rotation, paper camera and etc in the 4.1.2 update which is nice.
  • Note 1 and S2 got updates to pretty much same UI to the Touchwiz on S3 and Note 2 which is nice that they made an effort to bring new stuffs to older devices.
  • Recent leak or rumors on Sammobile says that the S3 and Note 2 confirms to have Android 5.0 in the future.
However, Exynos processor aren't so supported by CM team due to leaks of documentation and sources. So AOSP roms won't be very stable....

software update != HTC

Still better than LG... Heard a lot nightmares about their support...

#8 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:29

Recent leak or rumors on Sammobile says that the S3 and Note 2 confirms to have Android 5.0 in the future

I want 4.2.2 first!

#9 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:56

software update != HTC

Aside from my Galaxy Nexus (which in it's own is butchered thanks to Verizon), HTC/Verizon was awesome at updating the Droid Incredible. It started on Eclair, then got upgraded to Froyo then ended up on Gingerbread, and received some minor updates in between.

#10 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:01

Get the Note 2. The phone is amazing with superb battery life, screen quality and features. Thus the S-Pen may not be useful on a daily basis, but you can use it to hover over webpages sometimes and for precision with the cursor. It's nice. :D

#11 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:19

I wouldn't get the Galaxy Note unless you plan on putting a custom rom on it.. TouchWiz is so bloated and gross (IMO).. The LG phone is speced out great.. When I had my Note.. I only used the S-Pen to play Draw With Me with my wife..

#12 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:29

TouchWiz is so bloated and gross (IMO)..

It's not THAT bad, it's mostly harmless. Plus any other vendor will have their equivalent.

#13 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:32

Bloat to people might have different meaning. For me, Touchwiz has unnecessary features like S-voice (come on Google Now is far superior), S-Health, S-Band, etc. The only actual useful feature of Touchwiz is S-Pen. Everything else is bloat, and Samsung is branding their own features. Sure, 2 GB of RAM is plenty to power all these features, but that's not the point...But there are custom ROM's, so I'm a happy camper (if I ever bought a non-Nexus Samsung)

#14 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:35

Bloat to people might have different meaning. For me, Touchwiz has unnecessary features like S-voice (come on Google Now is far superior), S-Health, S-Band, etc. The only actual useful feature of Touchwiz is S-Pen. Everything else is bloat, and Samsung is branding their own features. Sure, 2 GB of RAM is plenty to power all these features, but that's not the point...But there are custom ROM's, so I'm a happy camper (if I ever bought a non-Nexus Samsung)

I would have to say I 100% agree with this..

#15 tanjiajun_34

tanjiajun_34

Neowinian

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:39

I want 4.2.2 first!

For Galaxy S3 I9300, they do have a 4.2.1 leak. Not 4.2.2 :/
Anyway I also heard Samsung is going to skip 4.2.1 to 4.2.2
I am hoping they throw in some of the S4 stuffs onto that 4.2.2 update.

I wouldn't get the Galaxy Note unless you plan on putting a custom rom on it.. TouchWiz is so bloated and gross (IMO).. The LG phone is speced out great.. When I had my Note.. I only used the S-Pen to play Draw With Me with my wife..

Having the TouchWiz or Sense is an advantage still. For people on like Nexus 4, if they want, they cannot have it.
For Touchwiz or Sense users, if they want the AOSP looks, they can just flash CM or AOKP...