Photo

Thinner windows borders in Windows Blue but no ones noticed?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 W32.Backdoor.KillAV.E

W32.Backdoor.KillAV.E

Neowinian

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:56

Well i can't be the first to discover this, although after searching i've not found this on any site and thought i'd mention it because many people like myself don't like the chunky windows borders in Vista/7/8... Now i've found in Blue most software installation and notification/alert windows have the border size reduced. Some stuff in the Taskbar like Date/Time and Action Center have their borders completely removed.

But... all software seems to have the same border size as Windows 8 (so far). MS mentioned that they didn't reduce the border size in 8 because of software compatibility (some stuff relies on border size for buttons/UI to be correctly placed) so maybe this is why, but i hope they change this because it's inconsistent having two different sizes in Blue. Personally i'd like all borders removed so it matches the Metro/Modern design style! (updating the ancient desktop icons would be a BIG improvement too).

Screenshots...

Attached Images

• 8blue.jpg
  • 8blue_02.jpg

#2 DrCheese

DrCheese

Tell me i'm your national anthem

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:57

This is as it should be. I've disabled windows borders ever since Vista. The defaults just look stupidly big

#3 Neu B

Neu B

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:57

Nice. Much better.

#4 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:59

I'm for this change.

The window close/maximize/minimize buttons need to change to something more aesthetically pleasing. And that clock from Vista too.

#5 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

Pretty sleek! Thanks a lot for the info!

One of the thing I hate from Windows 8 is those awful big and insane borders! Yuck!

I've always used TinyWindow borders to reduce it to a decent size.
http://winaero.com/c...comment.news.96

#6 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Looks nice with smaller borders...but I never really paid attention to them. Most apps I work with are in full screen.

#7 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:00

The borders have always jarred on recent versions of the OS, glad to see this!

#8 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:06

that does have a much cleaner look.

#9 daniel_rh

daniel_rh

Daniel R. H.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIV i9500

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:50

Waaaaaay better with the thinner borders :)

#10 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 68

Posted 04 April 2013 - 13:01

I used a reghack to reduce the awful borders in 8 to what it looks like on Windows Blue (the Mozilla setup window border in the above image)

Copy below and save as window_border.reg if you want thinner borders in Windows 8 as well:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]
"BorderWidth"="0"
"PaddedBorderWidth"="0"

You might want to launch regedit and export/backup HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics first ;)

Nice that they are finally being looked at properly for Windows Blue, but we'd need to see a later build to find out what will happen I guess.

NM my reghack also removes the border entirely from the clock widget in Windows 8 too, so I'm guessing the screenshot was taken with a similar reghack applied already, or it really is the new way in Windows Blue.

My Windows 8 with the above reghack applied:

SNAG-0006.png

Edit: Better image

#11 Quppa

Quppa

Neowinian

Posted 04 April 2013 - 13:10

I noticed the same thing (after all, nothing else seems to have changed on the desktop in this build). The changes to the clock and notification centre flyouts seem to be intentional, but the thinner borders for some windows feel more like a bug. Pre-release builds of Windows 8 had similarly weird window borders in some cases.

#12 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 04 April 2013 - 13:11

Neobond, made a .reg out of that and I am going to try it when I get home. Much better than running program I know nothing about.

#13 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 04 April 2013 - 13:16

what makes you guys think that the guy who took the screenshots didn't edit the border thickness himself ? MS has been pretty adamant about keeping the border thickness for usability reasons. No they really don't make windows exclusively for the "techie" user ;)

#14 OP W32.Backdoor.KillAV.E

W32.Backdoor.KillAV.E

Neowinian

Posted 04 April 2013 - 13:19

NM my reghack also removes the border entirely from the clock widget in Windows 8 too, so I'm guessing the screenshot was taken with a similar reghack applied already, or it really is the new way in Windows Blue.

I took the screenshots myself, it's a clean install of Blue. No reg hack.

And like i said the new reduced border size ONLY affects software installation and notification/alert windows, plus the Clock and Action Center in the Taskbar. Nothing else is affected, so things like File Explorer and ALL software on Blue still have the usual chunky windows borders. It seems like MS are experimenting with border sizes.

#15 +dsbig

dsbig

Neowinian

Posted 04 April 2013 - 13:20

I made the reg and applied it and it does indeed looks nice.