microsoft xbox

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,441 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:47

Microsoft creative director: 'I don't get the drama' over 'always-on' Xbox rumors

The rumors that Microsoft's next Xbox will require an "always-on" internet connection are gathering steam. The Verge has heard that Microsoft is indeed planning the connection requirement for its upcoming console, but this was based on information from last year; however, Kotaku's sources now say that the plan was still in place as recently as two weeks ago.

The next Xbox, codenamed Durango, reportedly won't be able to start software in offline mode, and will suspend a game or app after three minutes without connectivity. With last month's disastrous SimCity launch highlighting the potential issues faced when a game is unable to be played offline, the reaction to these latest rumors has been understandably negative.

Posted Image
One man who seems unconcerned, however, is Microsoft Studios creative director Adam Orth, who shared his thoughts with Twitter. "Sorry, I don't get the drama over having an "always on" console," he said, before adding a #dealwithit hashtag. "Every device now is 'always-on.' That's the world we live in." When pressed on the point, Orth compared the situation to buying a vacuum cleaner knowing the electricity in your house might go out, or using a mobile phone in an area with poor reception. He later made his Twitter account private, but the tweets were collated by NeoGAF users.

"Every device now is 'always-on.' That's the world we live in."

Of course, these messages can't be taken as anything close to official word from Microsoft, but it's interesting to read the thoughts of a studio director nonetheless. According to LinkedIn, Orth joined Microsoft early last year after working on Kinect Star Wars at the now-closed LucasArts, and has been assigned to an unannounced project ever since. While he would probably be in a position to have information on Durango, Twitter doesn't seem a likely medium to announce any concrete details. With Microsoft expected to reveal its next Xbox later this month, however, we shouldn't have long to find out the truth.

http://www.theverge....-durango-rumors

#2 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• 1,239 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:49

Idiot.

#3 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,503 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:51

What an asshat..

Lovely for those of us without a stable internet connection -_-

#4 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:52

Lol... MS think they are the greatest at the moment, when they have barely scratched the total sales of PS2... Pure arrogance.

#5 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,503 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:54

Lol... MS think they are the greatest at the moment, when they have barely scratched the total sales of PS2... Pure arrogance.

http://au.gamespot.c...n-april-6171095

If you're talking games sales, then the PS2 has sold more games than 360 and PS3 combined >.>

By way of console sales, my understanding is you are incorrect.

EDIT::
That having been said, depends on the numbers you look at >.> I've found global numbers that reflect your view, also found numbers that don't.

EDIT 2::
Reworded for clarity.

Edited by articuno1au, 05 April 2013 - 12:37.

#6 singularity87

singularity87

Neowinian

• 460 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:55

There are sound and unavoidable technical reasons for a vacuum cleaner to always need power or a phone to need a signal.

That isn't true with the Xbox if it's been specifically designed to rely on a connection for reasons such as DRM and it's clear from previous generations and competitors that it is not essential.

#7 Gasoau

Gasoau

Neowinian

• 106 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone 8

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:55

Well look's like Sony Already has the upper hand.

#8 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,503 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:59

Well look's like Sony Already has the upper hand.

I think I'll stay PC master race :p

I hate bull**** like always on. The idea that customers are secondary to DRM measures :/

#9 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,097 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:59

perhaps its Microsoft ploy to disolve the XBOX division without losing face too much,
after all its already reported that that division are losing about $3 billions dollars in 10 years.
http://www.neowin.ne...ion-in-10-years

#10 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,663 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:04

Obviously it's not official word that the Nextbox will need a constant connection, but if someone who is supposedly a creative director for Microsoft Studios (a 1st party developer) says to "deal with it" and is giving justifications for it (however lame and ill conceived they are) then it's pretty much a given that the Nextbox is going to have it. Which means I definitely won't be getting it.

#11 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 3,386 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:06

So MS is gonna pay my INTERNET bills for the traffic the console generates, right? And it's like always on software could fail, i mean come on, look at Azure or AWS or even SimCity 5, they never failed right? Right?

#12 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

• 5,702 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:07

Who the hell would want to use a vacuum cleaner while the power is out?? I expect not use a game system if the power is off, but I think its reasonable to want to pop a game in to pass the time till my ISP got off their ass and fixed my Internet connection. Of course this reasoning only applies till they make online multiplayer mandatory :rolleyes:

#13 OP +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,441 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:10

Vacuum cleaner comment was stupid. Power is much more stable than internet connectivity.

#14 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

• 3,745 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:11

Micro$haft!

PS4 is becoming a more obvious choice for gamers now. Better hardware specs and no always-on drm.

#15 Zedox

Zedox

Neowinian

• 854 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:14

First off, this isn't an official word by Microsoft. He just works for them, and yes that is a difference. I work for a large software company but if I say something, it doesn't mean it's official. Secondly, I think he was being sarcastic because if you look at the whole conversation with his friend, it seems he was just trying to get under his skin about it.