united kingdom china demand unofficial exports m00

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#16 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,608 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 22:57

Parents should be breast feeding their children anyway.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

#17 HellboundIRL

HellboundIRL

Neowinian

• 819 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 13 April 2013 - 22:57

Not every can breast feed.
It's actually a very complicated procedure that not everyone is capable of doing, your comment seems to be that those who use formula are choosing to do, but most of the time this is not the case.

It's not a complicated procedure, it needs some patience and perseverance until everything starts to settle down. Most women are perfectly capable of breastfeeding.

This is a good example why breastfeeding rates need to be higher, it's better for the baby and there's no need to rely on formula companies.

Why do you say that? It's the truth.

#18 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,088 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 13 April 2013 - 23:02

It's not a complicated procedure, it needs some patience and perseverance until everything starts to settle down. Most women are perfectly capable of breastfeeding.

This is a good example why breastfeeding rates need to be higher, it's better for the baby and there's no need to rely on formula companies.

I completely disagree with you.

There's hundreds of reasons why a woman can't breast feed and your statement "It's not a complicated procedure, it needs some patience and perseverance until everything starts to settle down. Most women are perfectly capable of breastfeeding." is actually quite insulting.

Many woman suffer complications during the birth that causes their milk never to flow, or they can be to ill to begin breast feeding. Some women are just flat unable to breast feed what-so-ever.

Please don;t take my word for this, my mother in law is a midwife and my wife has just had a baby which she is unable to breastfeed.

#19 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,646 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 13 April 2013 - 23:04

Please, enlighten us.

#20 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,088 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 23:06

Please, enlighten us.

Please see my post above.

Yes, there is a clear benefit to those that can breast feed but stating "Every one should" is, at best, plain insensitive.

#21 Secular Humanist

Secular Humanist

Neowinian Senior

• 3,798 posts

The Chinese, who normally happily make their own baby formula, have a had a contamination issue, rendering a huge chunk of their produced formula un-consumable.

circa ~2008, long over.

#22 HellboundIRL

HellboundIRL

Neowinian

• 819 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

I completely disagree with you.

There's hundreds of reasons why a woman can't breast feed and your statement "It's not a complicated procedure, it needs some patience and perseverance until everything starts to settle down. Most women are perfectly capable of breastfeeding." is actually quite insulting.

Many woman suffer complications during the birth that causes their milk never to flow, or they can be to ill to begin breast feeding. Some women are just flat unable to breast feed what-so-ever.

Please don;t take my word for this, my mother in law is a midwife and my wife has just had a baby which she is unable to breastfeed.

Like I said, most women are perfectly capable of breastfeeding, not all. There are exceptions.

#23 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,088 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 23:08

circa ~2008, long over.

The initial contamination was in 2008 but the Chinese have been bulk buying imported formula ever since and a recent scare on hormone levels in cattle has caused a surge.

Like I said, most women are perfectly capable of breastfeeding, not all. There are exceptions.

The exception is a lot more than people think and it really is a complicated procedure.

Anyway, sorry for continuing the off topic ranting.
The real issue here is once again the media is whipping people up in to frenzy and inducing panic buying as it always does.

#24 thechronic

thechronic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,012 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 23:16

Not every can breast feed.

True but i bet the number of those who 'can't is less than those who 'won't' - still, it's practically impossible to do in today's society, there isn't enough time for women who tend to be working too and the poor men in their lives get little or no boob time as it is

#25 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,088 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 23:16

True but i bet the number of those who 'can't is less than those who 'won't' - still, it's practically impossible to do in today's society, there isn't enough time for women who tend to be working too and the poor men in their lives get little or no boob time as it is

True that.

As much as i'm fighting the case for a fair chunk of women being unable to breast feed, i bet there's an equal chunk that are to damn lazy or want to smoke/drink again.
That is disgusting.

#26 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,646 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 23:19

Please see my post above.

Yes, there is a clear benefit to those that can breast feed but stating "Every one should" is, at best, plain insensitive.

That's the exception, not the rule. As I said, parents should be breastfeeding their children - if they can't then that's a different matter but most parents move on to baby milk product for convenience. That's without going into the unethical business practices employed by some of the manufacturers of baby milk products.

#27 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,088 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 23:22

That's the exception, not the rule. As I said, parents should be breastfeeding their children - if they can't then that's a different matter but most parents move on to baby milk product for convenience. That's without going into the unethical business practices employed by some of the manufacturers of baby milk products.

I don;t mean to come of as a dick obviously.

Kinda raw because my missus had a very very difficult birth which left her unable to breastfeed and people/professionals have been laying the guilt trip on her ever since, until they read her medical notes that is.

Which is sort of why this topic really ***** me off. Nothing personal on you guys or your opinions you understand.

#28 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 23:27

Off to visit every local store selling baby milk tomorrow then hitting ebay with £100 per tub :D

EDIT - & £99 p&p

#29 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,646 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 23:33

I don;t mean to come of as a dick obviously.

Kinda raw because my missus had a very very difficult birth which left her unable to breastfeed and people/professionals have been laying the guilt trip on her ever since, until they read her medical notes that is.

Which is sort of why this topic really ***** me off. Nothing personal on you guys or your opinions you understand.

Fair enough. My statement was simply that parents should breastfeed their children. Obviously if a mother can't breastfeed then that isn't an option. It's like me saying that parents should encourage their children to walk to school and you saying "what about my disabled child in a wheelchair?" - it's hardly fair.

Breast milk contains stem cells and white blood cells from the mother that offer the child the best chance of survival. Baby milk products are nutritionally sound but they don't provide the same protection. Parents should maintain breastfeeding for as long as possible and shouldn't stop simply for convenience.

#30 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,015 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:18

Parents should be breast feeding their children anyway.

Then I'd be straight. :/

:rofl: