does this annoy anyone else?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 OP madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

• 1,410 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 15:22

In an ideal world all threads are prefixed with tags, the whole idea of a tag system is to make searching for that subject really easy. If it's a design issue we can take care of that, but to me it seems like removing it defeats the purpose of indexed topics.

There is a big difference between tagging something for the search feature and selecting the "Use first tag as prefix" option.

Searching is good, thus tags are good.
That I can find, a "prefix" has no value. All the info needed is (should be) written up in the thread title.

Prefixes are ugly, overused, and even worse, redundant. Redundancy is a key design flaw.
Readability is sacrificed for what?

This is pretty simple. Remove the "Use first tag as prefix" option. We don't need it, it doesn't do anything. Don't try to get too fancy. Simplicity is king.

#17 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

• 8,647 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 14:46

Question to you guys: What do you want used for the prefix tag? Just the platform it's on -- e.g., MULTI, 360, PS3, etc?

The main subject. And make them short. For instance, the thread tagged "Kaspersky Lab" really isn't about KL, it's about Watch Dogs. And instead of tagging it "Gran Turismo 6", why not just "GT6".

Just be smart about your tags. If it's about the game, use the game's name as the tag, not the studio.

We have individual forums for the platforms, so that would be redundant. For instance, shouldn't the GT6 thread be in the Sony forum?

#18 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,465 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 15:29

Some topics are prefixed with the nsfw tag and all topics in the jokes and funny stuff forum require prefix tags too, so how's that work then when that's removed from the title?

Timan is away till the 29th, I can ask him to restyle it, and possibly move it after the title, but I don't want the prefix (or suffix if it becomes that) removed completely.

#19 OP madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

• 1,410 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 16:29

Some topics are prefixed with the nsfw tag and all topics in the jokes and funny stuff forum require prefix tags too, so how's that work then when that's removed from the title?

Timan is away till the 29th, I can ask him to restyle it, and possibly move it after the title, but I don't want the prefix (or suffix if it becomes that) removed completely.

Perhaps it could be adjusted to apply in some forums but not others?

I liked John Callaham having his own published article forum as well. Removing it has caused flooding to the member created multiplatform forum.

#20 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,465 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 16:52

2 a day (hardly in the same section as well) isn't flooding.

#21 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,528 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 17:06

Personally I like the tagging system, but I do understand it isn't being used in the correct manner.
It might be an idea for users to keep the tagging simpler so that the grouping for the tags would be easier at first glance for users looking for certain subjects.

#22 OP madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

• 1,410 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:36

2 a day (hardly in the same section as well) isn't flooding.

He accounts for the most recent 12 of 24 threads in this section...

(50%)

I'm in my high waters here.

#23 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,465 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:13

Prefix tags have been removed from news stories.