• Phone: Sony Sola

Posted 20 May 2013 - 22:14

fair enough

#32 vetJames7

James7

Fixed tentatively

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:14

I used to use Firefox because of the extensions but I found they made the browser horribly unreliable and I was constantly prompted to update them. Now I use Chrome with a minimal selection of plugins and it suits me just fine. For me the ultimate browser would be Chrome, with the smooth scrolling and mouse gestures of Opera and the extension support of Firefox.

I used Chrome for a while but I couldn't get used to the fact that mouse gestures didn't work properly on it. There's a Firefox extension that does work fine. But I came back to Opera. I hear they are moving to Webkit.....

#33 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:41

I used Chrome for a while but I couldn't get used to the fact that mouse gestures didn't work properly on it. There's a Firefox extension that does work fine. But I came back to Opera. I hear they are moving to Webkit.....

you are correct. it was news about a month or so ago?

#34 vetJames7

James7

Fixed tentatively

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:23

you are correct. it was news about a month or so ago?

Yeah man, not since it ever came out on Chrome or Chromium has any extension for mouse gestures worked properly. I just couldn't take the 'right click and back' each time. Google should just incorporate mouse gestures into their browsers. That they don't feels like constipation.

#35 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:03

Sorry, what exactly is the problem here? If you're a Firefox fan, it's just a click away in the Software Center.

As long as they don't make IE (through WINE) default, I'm happy.

Iceweasel and Chromium work great.

#36 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:33

Actually, Opera will be moving to Blink instead. As a browser it definitely has the best implementation of mouse gestures, though I don't find it as good as Chrome.

#37 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:39

Sorry, what exactly is the problem here? If you're a Firefox fan, it's just a click away in the Software Center.

Sorry, what exactly is the problem here? If you're a Firefox or a Chromium fan, it's just a click away in the Software Center.

As long as they don't make Safari (though WINE, lolz) default, I'm happy.

#38 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 26 May 2013 - 17:08

I think the reason's canonical has listed for switching to be pretty stupid (they are switching to chromium because ubuntu touch uses webkit? yet chrome is moving away from webkit to blink) Doesn't really make much sense.

However I don't particularly care what the default browser is because its easy to install one of your preference.

#39 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:47

With some of the decisions that Ubuntu has been making lately it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

#40 CaptainBeno

CaptainBeno

Neowinian

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:54

I like Ubuntu a lot , chrome as default makes total sense. Another great decision from Ubuntu j can't wait for things to come together in 13.10

#41 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:26

^ Yeah, I'm hoping to try Mir.

#42 AndroidOS

AndroidOS

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 4 (Rooted)

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:24

Hopefully it will ship with Ubuntu, it will give me one less thing to install and uninstall when I upgrade. :p

#43 medhunter

medhunter

Muslim Emergency physician

• OS: Win 7 SP1 Home Premium , Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Xubuntu 13.04
  • Phone: Sony Sola

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:41

In February, Opera announced that its web browser was going to switch from using its own in-house Presto engine to the WebKit-based Chromium engine that Google uses for its own Chrome web browser. In April, Opera stated that it would follow Google's lead and use its offshoot of WebKit, Blink, as its new web browser engine.

Today, Opera announced that the first public beta of its Chromium-based web browser is now available for download via the Opera Next channel. The beta is available for Windows and Mac platforms, with a Linux version to come later.

Besides the switch to Chromium, the new Opera web browser has a new user interface and a number of new features, some of which Opera added to its Android web browser earlier this year. One is called Discover, which Opera says " ... allows you to lean back and get fed with new articles from your country, or whatever region you want to get inspiration from, right in your browser - all in one place."

Opera also announced that the web browser's mail client has now been removed and is now available as a stand alone program. Opera said it made this change due to feedback from users and will allow the web browser to take up less memory and space on a PC.

http://business.opera.com/press/releases/desktop/2013-05-28

#44 expphoto

expphoto

Neowinian

Posted 06 June 2013 - 18:57

Good. About time. Firefox has been lacking recently. Everytime I've used it I've run into memory leaks. Though I do have to say that with Kali, Iceweasel hasn't been too bad.

#45 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 06 June 2013 - 19:04

I hope they use a more up to date version of Chromium. Last time I checked a few months ago the newest version of Chromium in most Linux repositories was 18.x