thinkpad x1

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Ph1b3r0pt1c

Ph1b3r0pt1c

Neowinian

• 425 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 15:27

The "other things made from" is a little unfair. There's been all of one airplane that uses carbon and they put that down, ignoring every other airplane ever built using aluminum, but all Apple gets is a soda can...

hahahaha as if a significant portion of people actually buy it for OSX as compared to for the brand.

hahahahah the ones I know, do!

#17 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,767 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 18:48

Lenovo releasing this kind of laptop that late in the cycle is pointless since Haswell is inbound

#18 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,161 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 19:06

There's been all of one airplane that uses carbon and they put that down

Wuht?

There are many planes that use carbon fiber, there may just be one airliner, however, many smaller aircraft use it and I'm sure there will be more airliners in the future. You have to remember that most airliners flying today were designed in the 60s and 70s, so of course they aren't using carbon fiber. Aluminum was the best material at the time, however, carbon fiber is the future.

Though I wouldn't necessarily want it in a laptop. I'm not trying to fly it. :p
Here's a good, nay, gorgeous example of a general aviation aircraft that uses carbon fiber:
Posted Image
:drool:

#19 Avi Patel

Avi Patel

Neowinian

• 214 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 19:17

haha stay classy, lenovo.
i'm really looking forward to purchasing one of their y400 or y500s.

#20 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• 2,397 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 'Space Grey' (64GB)

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:50

I used to have a Thinkpad X1 Carbon (since sold it and went back to Mac) but there is more to purchasing a computer besides the physical hardware (although that is important) - how about the operating system? the crapware that Lenovo rams down the throat of the end user? how about the Lenovo 'experience' bundled software to control things such as Wifi that are totally pointless given that Windows already includes such functionality?

As primexx rightfully noted in his post:

hahahaha as if a significant portion of people actually buy it for OSX as compared to for the brand.

What compelled me to go back to a Mac again was OS X - the hardware was important but the primarily mode in which I get things done is via the operating system running on it. End of the day, Lenovo can spend millions making a gorgeous piece of hardware that is perfect in almost every aspect but if it is hamstrung via a boat anchor like operating system such as Windows then it has pretty much undermined all the hard work Lenovo has done. You know what would be nice, for Lenovo to buy out Blackberry and develop QNX into a desktop operating system - which looks something like this:

Posted Image