Lenovo Takes on MacBook Air with ThinkPad X1 Carbon Touch

I thought this was a pretty cool comparison to have come from Lenovo (reminiscent of the "Hi, I'm a Mac" "and I'm a PC" days, and more recently, the Samsung and Microsoft ads)...

lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-page-title.jpg

lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-quote.png

lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-laptop-image.png

lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-design-area.png

lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-size-and-weight-area.png

lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-battery-area.png

lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-connectivity-area.png

lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-durability-area.png

lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-large-background-image.jpg

Sources:

http://shop.lenovo.c...72&esrc=DACSHIP

http://winsupersite....x1-carbon-touch

But still, only two USB ports... :(

How come these laptops still have the nipple? I mean touchpads are sooooooooo much better in every sense of the word, I just find it weird how they still have them here and there.

How come these laptops still have the nipple? I mean touchpads are sooooooooo much better in every sense of the word, I just find it weird how they still have them here and there.

If it feels wrong to finger the nipple, you can always just avoid it.

With the touch screen bundled in there, these things have plenty of input methods for getting around.

Simple, choice. That looks like a nice laptop and I hate to say it, but the MacBook Air looks far more elegant and the Lenovo looks abit rough. Not to mention the MacBook will still kill it in sales despite being "inferior" due to people being more interested in having a coveted Apple product then actually having something that can take a pounding and last the distance. If Lenovo could make it looks as elegant as a MacBook (and not get sued doing it) people might start taking notice (computers/phones are fashion accessories these days, nobody really cares if it's actually good just that looks good and the usual "badge snobbery"). That is my opinion anyway, take with a grain of salt.

But the million $ question is: Does the Lenovo run OSX natively? Guess not. Thats why people will still buy the Air.

The "other things made from" is a little unfair. There's been all of one airplane that uses carbon and they put that down, ignoring every other airplane ever built using aluminum, but all Apple gets is a soda can...

But the million $ question is: Does the Lenovo run OSX natively? Guess not. Thats why people will still buy the Air.

hahahaha as if a significant portion of people actually buy it for OSX as compared to for the brand.

• Like 3

I'm still a fan of them; they mean no having to swipe back and forth when dragging things around.

I dont use them, but wouldnt be a thinkpad without the red....nipple.

Why are the battery test results based on Windows 7 when the images show Windows 8?

EDIT: According to the commenters on Winsupersite the default config comes with Win 7 with Win 8 as an option.

Trackpads are fine for general mousing but, personally, I prefer a trackpoint for more detailed, pixel-perfect work. Trackpoints are just more accurate.

OSX is clearly only important to a tiny proportion of the market.

Trackpoint is the best, I hated touch pads when they came out, especially the really small and rough ones. Anyhow this looks like a damn fine laptop- leagues ahead of the inferior MB air.

The "other things made from" is a little unfair. There's been all of one airplane that uses carbon and they put that down, ignoring every other airplane ever built using aluminum, but all Apple gets is a soda can...

hahahaha as if a significant portion of people actually buy it for OSX as compared to for the brand.

There's also the added benefits that an aluminum casing could act as a giant heat sink, whereas the epoxy wouldn't be nearly as effective.

hahahahah the ones I know, do!

Lenovo releasing this kind of laptop that late in the cycle is pointless since Haswell is inbound

There's been all of one airplane that uses carbon and they put that down

Wuht?

There are many planes that use carbon fiber, there may just be one airliner, however, many smaller aircraft use it and I'm sure there will be more airliners in the future. You have to remember that most airliners flying today were designed in the 60s and 70s, so of course they aren't using carbon fiber. Aluminum was the best material at the time, however, carbon fiber is the future.

Though I wouldn't necessarily want it in a laptop. I'm not trying to fly it. :p

Here's a good, nay, gorgeous example of a general aviation aircraft that uses carbon fiber:

1286784587_diamond-da42-twin-star.jpg

:drool:

I used to have a Thinkpad X1 Carbon (since sold it and went back to Mac) but there is more to purchasing a computer besides the physical hardware (although that is important) - how about the operating system? the crapware that Lenovo rams down the throat of the end user? how about the Lenovo 'experience' bundled software to control things such as Wifi that are totally pointless given that Windows already includes such functionality?

As primexx rightfully noted in his post:

What compelled me to go back to a Mac again was OS X - the hardware was important but the primarily mode in which I get things done is via the operating system running on it. End of the day, Lenovo can spend millions making a gorgeous piece of hardware that is perfect in almost every aspect but if it is hamstrung via a boat anchor like operating system such as Windows then it has pretty much undermined all the hard work Lenovo has done. You know what would be nice, for Lenovo to buy out Blackberry and develop QNX into a desktop operating system - which looks something like this:

QNX_RTP.jpg