Photo

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 23 May 2013 - 20:02

You can't cross-compile for "free" when you are switching to an entirely different architecture. It doesn't matter if the game is downloadable or on a disc.

Yes, there is some cost there somewhere, but it would certainly be easier than backwards compatibility for disc based games. The majority of Xbox Arcade games are already running on Windows, it would not be an incredible feat to bring them back to the X1.

The point is that they're not going to, and they don't care, which is something that was an ok answer back in the days when games were always on a cartridge or a disc and intrinsically tied to the hardware, but once you've got a digital distribution system up and running, killing backwards compatibility is a real crap policy compared to what Steam offers, what Sony appears to be offering, and even compared to what the Windows Store seems to offer.

#47 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 23 May 2013 - 20:05

Lots of MS products are backwards compatible. With that statement, the whole company is backwards.

#48 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:52

Lots of MS products are backwards compatible. With that statement, the whole company is backwards.

Especially Don Mattrick.

#49 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:41

Excuse me, did they just say it won't play XBLA games? Why exactly? So I should stop buying games on Live?

#50 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 13 June 2013 - 23:30

Not exactly backwards compatible, well... not at all really, but this is interesting...

http://youtu.be/BIg9qRPcy9I?t=15m

#51 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 14 June 2013 - 14:57

Excuse me, did they just say it won't play XBLA games? Why exactly? So I should stop buying games on Live?

same reason it won't play the disc games. Nothing surprising there.

#52 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 14 June 2013 - 15:53

"If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards," he told the Wall Street Journal.

Really ???

This guy needs to take some marketing 101 classes.

#53 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 14 June 2013 - 15:59

I'm not much of a gamer, and not a console gamer since the NES, so I'm wondering; What exactly makes backward compatibility of games so difficult in these consoles? Is it specially modified performance drivers used, or something hardcoded in the game's platform targeting?

It just doesn't seem like a smart move to not include backward compatibility, so there must be some sort of formidable and/or costly barrier, but I couldn't imagine what that would be.

The 360 and One don't have the same architecture. So unless you recompile every games and retest them you need to emulate which is rarely perfect.

I'm sure though some of the latest popular PS3/360 games will be made for PS4/One and sold on PSN and Live.