Xbox One: Microsoft, publishers 'to profit from used game sales' R

All those people who complain about gamestops practices... I sure hope you aren't ever buying a used car from anywhere, because it's the same thing. Same with basically any used product. Games are no different. Educate yourself about the real world and how business is done.

Those exclusives wont matter much if the anti-consumer practices push people away from buying the platform in the first place.

Don't underestimate the CoD crowd :| :x

Games are property, like DVD's, books, CD's, cars, houses etc, and if Microsoft restricts what consumers can do with THEIR property, then EU will almost certainly come down hard on them. I can hardly wait.

I must have got the wrong end of the stick...

[/b]

Like I said, someone posted that that number is a retail number, like what gamestop would charge you to buy it used. The whole barrowing thing is conjecture at this point.

With MS moving away from points and back to real money what if you can sell your stuff on Live? MS gets a small cut, some fixed % etc and so on? I know lots of people figure that because they're keeping quiet about the details it must be all bad news but what if it's not and it's something like having the ability to gift and sell content between users? If it's as people think then there's no real reason to keep quiet about it from their point of view. So I figure there's more going on still and E3 could be a surprise to many.

Like I said, someone posted that that number is a retail number, like what gamestop would charge you to buy it used. The whole barrowing thing is conjecture at this point.

With MS moving away from points and back to real money what if you can sell your stuff on Live? MS gets a small cut, some fixed % etc and so on? I know lots of people figure that because they're keeping quiet about the details it must be all bad news but what if it's not and it's something like having the ability to gift and sell content between users? If it's as people think then there's no real reason to keep quiet about it from their point of view. So I figure there's more going on still and E3 could be a surprise to many.

If it's as "simple" and good as that, then why not. In the end though, they should balance it with lower initial pricing of the games. I think they have experimented with lower prices with 360 and PS3 - I don't remember a single AAA game I bought at full price over last 3-4 years. I always and easily found some $40 special from the likes of Amazon, Walmart, Target or Bestbuy (in the launch window).

Not sure yet how I feel about the original seller gaining money again from a resale of a product. as they are not the ones that are selling the game. That would be like Volvo getting a cut every time a vehicle is sold to a new owner.

Games are property, like DVD's, books, CD's, cars, houses etc, and if Microsoft restricts what consumers can do with THEIR property, then EU will almost certainly come down hard on them. I can hardly wait.

EU already ruled software licenses can be transferred (sold) even if it violated terms of service.

Oracle was trying to sue to stop a EU member reseller for reselling unused oracle licenses.

Pretty sure Oracle won't of sued if they knew that outcome would of happened.

Its Nazi like what Microsoft is doing with used games! It gives all the more reasons never to buy a xbox. This is going to be a disaster of epic proportions!

Games are software. You can't just go about lending your copy of Windows to another person without them paying an activation fee for it. Nor can you do that for most paid software. Why should games be different? It's software, running code that software developers created.

Its Nazi like what Microsoft is doing with used games! It gives all the more reasons never to buy a xbox. This is going to be a disaster of epic proportions!

There is no way this is just Microsoft's idea. The publishers have a hand in this as well, and (I hope this isn't true) it may well lead to publisher preference for the Xbox One, like Call of Duty has been for several years now. Just speculation, though.

There is no way this is just Microsoft's idea. The publishers have a hand in this as well, and (I hope this isn't true) it may well lead to publisher preference for the Xbox One, like Call of Duty has been for several years now. Just speculation, though.

It is just bad for the consumers in the end, and if all the restrictions are true, this will be a huge disaster! The way selling, buying and trading xbox one games sounds, sounds exactly the same as how guns are resold. It is a huge middle finger to the consumer! The Xbox One is like this cute looking thing thats slowly turning into this hideous digusting thing over time (gremlim)!

It is just bad for the consumers in the end, and if all the restrictions are true, the this will be a huge disaster!

Not just consumers, but for the dwindling retail sector as well with them reportedly getting 10% of the sale price under the new system.

Millions will buy this Xbox regardless of what systems are put into place and once that happens, publishers may start to push Sony into doing this, and perhaps start using similar systems on PC titles (EA with Origin, etc). Hopefully not, but I can see it all going down this path.

Hardly. Steam has a very restrictive system and it doesn't even allow users to resell games yet it has been great for gamers. That's not to say Microsoft won't find a way to abuse the system?and let's face it, the company has a long history of anti-competitive behaviour?but it is not an inherently evil move. I am far more concerned about the cancerous nature of businesses like GameStop, which undercut primary sales and take money away from the producers of the content.

If Microsoft was operating the only company profiting from second-hand sales and was cutting out businesses like GameStop altogether then I could understand it being classed as an anti-competitive move but it isn't and it looks like Sony will continue to operates in a traditional manner so consumers have a choice. That said, people are perfectly justified to be concerned about the potential for abuse and are free to boycott the Xbox One if they feel strongly opposed to it.

Well this is the problem, if xbox one truly do this used game block then your gonna have a lot of dev support for Xbox rather than ps4 only because devs and publishers won't lost money, but as I said before if Sony does absolutely nothing with used games, and leaves them the way they are like now, and Xbox does it, ps will lose dev support NOT because of the system, but because why would you make a game for a console you could potentially lose money on because of used games and there is another console which actually gives the used game money to publishers and devs. Say what you will about this ruining the console and everything but this is the start and let's say there is no used game block on the ps4, Sony will add one because there is no way in hell they are going to let Microsoft get the dev support because of the used game block. So either with Sony or Microsoft the consumer gets screwed.

So Microsoft will have a concentration camp where they gas and kill gamers who play used games? :| RUN AND HIDE!

• Like 1

how do you think Microsoft is going to get all these exclusives? that's right, getting the publishers PAID. If Microsoft is actually doing this,and sony isn't, then Sony is in big trouble. Do you think Microsoft would go through all this trouble just to be nice to publishers? NO.

Sure some people might not like this, but if it means many big exclusive games, even if you hate it, you will punish yourself if you don't buy the console. for what? for some internet forum pride?

Exactly. People keep saying that Microsoft is doing the wrong things and that this will hurt the gaming market. This is going to HELP the gaming market because the publishers and developers will be getting paid. I'm all for it if it means developers getting money for their work.

Steam is very different than a game console. With steam, you own the games indefinitely, but with a game console, its resellable unlike steam. Your steam games exist in cyber space and are portable. With a game console, they are physical copies. Steam is nothing like a game console.

Hardly. Steam has a very restrictive system and it doesn't even allow users to resell games yet it has been great for gamers. That's not to say Microsoft won't find a way to abuse the system?and let's face it, the company has a long history of anti-competitive behaviour?but it is not an inherently evil move. I am far more concerned about the cancerous nature of businesses like GameStop, which undercut primary sales and take money away from the producers of the content.

I do see the argument of Steam, however PC gamers and console gamers are 2 very different types of people. PC gamers are used to not having the ability to sell on their games, whereas on consoles they have always been able to. Indeed, the relatively new multiplayer pass system has now been implemented into most games but it's not the same as being locked out of the whole game and (reportedly) having to pay a full ?35 hit, not a ?10 fee to unlock multiplayer.
  • Like 1

So Microsoft will have a concentration camp where they gas and kill gamers who play used games? :| RUN AND HIDE!

Basically, its new games and not used ones. I dont even like or own or want to own an xbox, but this is very concerning if this is a new trend in the gaming industry. The days of owning and selling games maybe over if this is a trend.

Well this is the problem, if xbox one truly do this used game block then your gonna have a lot of dev support for Xbox rather than ps4 only because devs and publishers won't lost money, but as I said before if Sony does absolutely nothing with used games, and leaves them the way they are like now, and Xbox does it, ps will lose dev support NOT because of the system, but because why would you make a game for a console you could potentially lose money on because of used games and there is another console which actually gives the used game money to publishers and devs. Say what you will about this ruining the console and everything but this is the start and let's say there is no used game block on the ps4, Sony will add one because there is no way in hell they are going to let Microsoft get the dev support because of the used game block. So either with Sony or Microsoft the consumer gets screwed.

You act as if those publishers will be making a ton more money when they won't due to there being less people who will buy a platform that does this crap. Once those publishers see the crappy sales numbers of the one, plus the poor sales of the games, they be right back to the platform that isn't against the consumer.

You act as if those publishers will be making a ton more money when they won't due to there being less people who will buy a platform that does this crap. Once those publishers see the crappy sales numbers of the one, plus the poor sales of the games, they be right back to the platform that isn't against the consumer.

Developers and publishers are a business if you make games for one console that blocks used games you force the consumer to purchase that consoles. I'm buying that console, my friends are, my family is, lots of people are, you have a market already, and they will save money not lose it, and you aren't a psychic the Xbox one is going to sell very good because gamers don't make up the world, people watch tv, movies, they are marketing this as an all in one device, you may be already set on a ps4 but there are people already set on an Xbox one it won't be crappy it will be good, and the force will come, and ps4 will do the same, not now, but later they will, and the backlash will be on them. Say what you will, but having a device that can do this much, families will get it because its convenient, and people like convenience.

Right now the Xbox One is like his cute little furry creature thats turning into this ugly slimy thing over time!

I guess a lot people are angry about this and I can understand why. But you have to look at it from developers point of view they don't make money on the resale of the product and it can lead to lower sales overall. Games are extremely expensive to make. If they get cut of the resold product it helps them stay in business.

You cannot compare Steam to console. Console games are 60$ brand new and often stay this price for a long period of time. Here you can rarely buy a new, not used, popular console game for less than 50$ even months after the relase date.

It's not rare to find popular Steam games at 30$ and under and this not so long after the launch of the games.

I don't mind the games being tied to my live account and requiring a small fee to resell them. But I don't mind it as long as the price of console games go down which will not happen.

And plus everybody thinks everything is confirmed and set in stone, has no one realized each tech news and gaming site is saying a while different story, as I said before clarification will come in E3, all we are doing now is complaining, and saying its against consumer, and they are being horrible company and ps4 is better or this or that, when one, no one seems to even get a solid response that makes sense. And two the fact that ps4 has not made a mention of used games, other than it can play them, is also something people need to realize, so lets all just wait till e3, it's really useless to talk about when different tech news are telling different stories