Opera Next 15 released

Did they specifically say that they are axing rss, or is it just something thats missing in the alpha? afiak the only thing they confirmed was that m2 is being moved into a separate client, and from what I can see other features are things that may potentially be implemented in the future, since by definition alphas are not feature complete, this is more like a technology preview.

Unless someone at opera said that they won't be including any of these features, then people saying they are being "axed" are basically spreading FUD. Opera is basically being totally re-written, it may be a while before it gets close to feature parity with the old version (and maybe it never will and they will "axe" all these features, but judging this on an initial alpha release is quite premature.)

• Like 2

The mail client, as shown in the OP, is now a separate application.

Also, when you drag the window, the drop shadow in tabs moves like a motion trail almost. Pretty cool!

Did they specifically say that they are axing rss, or is it just something thats missing in the alpha? afiak the only thing they confirmed was that m2 is being moved into a separate client, and from what I can see other features are things that may potentially be implemented in the future, since by definition alphas are not feature complete, this is more like a technology preview.

Unless someone at opera said that they won't be including any of these features, then people saying they are being "axed" are basically spreading FUD. Opera is basically being totally re-written, it may be a while before it gets close to feature parity with the old version (and maybe it never will and they will "axe" all these features, but judging this on an initial alpha release is quite premature.)

Very true. Reading the blog comments is both funny and sad.

Features will probably not appear until beta.

Whoa I love it!, I might switch to it for now to see how it goes. I love the Stash idea though

The Stash idea reminds me of those read-it-later apps like Pocket.

I used to use Opera exclusively but strayed to Firefox and Chrome. So far I like what I see. I wish the adblocker for Chrome worked on this version of Opera.

Opera link... they killed link ? The others I don't care about but why would they remove link...
Too many things have been removed

Do people still not understand the concept of rewriting something from scratch? They didn't remove anything. It's the other way around. They haven't implemented it on the new code yet.

They shouldn't have "released" this in such matter for such a simple build.

Why not? Just because you don't want to try it this early on doesn't mean you should prevent other people from doing it.

The thing people are complaining about was that this is essentially not Opera. It's a webkit/blink renderer on a really simple shell which does next to nothing. What is so 'bleeding edge' about that?

What's bleeding edge is that it's brand new. Code that's been untested in public. It even contains brand new stuff never seen before.

It might have been better if they added some of the Opera-exclusive features into this build, even if they were half-baked. Right now, it's just a crippled Chrome.

What are you talking about? They have mouse gestures, Speed Dial (now with folders), Stash, etc. There are plenty of exclusive features there even in this first version.

But is it worth releasing an alpha, if it means losing your identity? None of the things that uniquely defines Opera is present in this build.

Who decides what uniquely defines Opera? You? This is the first public version after rewriting the whole thing. Of course it's going to be basic. They need to build the foundation before they can add all the other stuff. Is that such a hard concept to understand?

The real kicker is that they (opera devs) keep saying that bookmarks will not be coming to Opera... They want us to use Stash/Speed Dial instead.

The real kicker is that they (opera devs) keep saying that bookmarks will not be coming to Opera... They want us to use Stash/Speed Dial instead.

I don't mind Stash so far but the Speed Dial I could do without

Speed dial has always been my favorite opera feature, I'm glad they are focusing on it. Opera's speed dial is so much better than chrome/firerfox's new tab pages.

Speed dial has always been my favorite opera feature, I'm glad they are focusing on it. Opera's speed dial is so much better than chrome/firerfox's new tab pages.

Oh yeah for sure, the Firefox one never really works

• 1 month later...

Should probably have a new topic for stable, but I think I'll wait for 16 or whenever bookmarks make it back, even though I just store stuff there and never actually use them :) at least link is in. 

good progress though. 

So, the finalised build is released, and they haven't put back any of the decent features that were removed, leaving it

even more dumbed down than Chrome. Opera is now DEAD. It has gone from being one of the most customisable

and useful browsers around to the opposite ... no customisation, dumbed down and utterly useless. Pathetic.

Opera is now about as relevant as Netscape.

So, the finalised build is released, and they haven't put back any of the decent features that were removed, leaving it

even more dumbed down than Chrome. Opera is now DEAD. It has gone from being one of the most customisable

and useful browsers around to the opposite ... no customisation, dumbed down and utterly useless. Pathetic.

Opera is now about as relevant as Netscape.

What? Doomsday much? Give them a few weeks and a few releases, they (all browsers) push out versions like snow flakes in a Alaskan blizzard, FF is 22 and Chrome is.. well, what day is this?

They may in fact be dead, but they were pretty much dead before they tried this, what was their market share? Looks like between 1.5 and 2.5%, while Chrome has climbed to near 50%, they are probably hoping to use Chromium resources and put their style or twist on it. Who knows but have you even tried it?

I'm not sure why they rushed this out the door.  :/

yeah, they should have at the very least implemented smooth scrolling and bookmarks.