opera 15 beta blink

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#16 SnoopZ

SnoopZ

Resistance is Futile

• 904 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:00

No bookmark suppport yet. Only speed dial as far.

I have exactly the same problem with Opera for Android and it is a pain in the ass!

#17 shall_i_cut

shall_i_cut

Touch me if you dare

• 445 posts
  • Phone: O+ 8.91

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:01

I think we understand that. The thing people are complaining about was that this is essentially not Opera. It's a webkit/blink renderer on a really simple shell which does next to nothing. What is so 'bleeding edge' about that?

It might have been better if they added some of the Opera-exclusive features into this build, even if they were half-baked. Right now, it's just a crippled Chrome.

+1 I hope Google releases an API for the extensions

#18 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,428 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:05

I think we understand that. The thing people are complaining about was that this is essentially not Opera. It's a webkit/blink renderer on a really simple shell which does next to nothing. What is so 'bleeding edge' about that?

It might have been better if they added some of the Opera-exclusive features into this build, even if they were half-baked. Right now, it's just a crippled Chrome.

it's bleeding edge because it's an alpha that's not done. if you want the features and stability, you're supposed to run the regular version.

#19 +GreenMartian

GreenMartian

Neowinian Senior

• 1,777 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:31

it's bleeding edge because it's an alpha that's not done. if you want the features and stability, you're supposed to run the regular version.

But is it worth releasing an alpha, if it means losing your identity? None of the things that uniquely defines Opera is present in this build.
I'm not joining the horde of people whining and threatening to leave (I'm actually excited), but if they had waited a couple weeks, they may not cop as much abuse as they are right now.

Plus, I'm worried that they'll go with their Android strategy, where they release their feature-lacking, bleeding edge version as Opera Mobile stable, and wiped their feature-rich stable version off of the market.

On a more positive note, people have reported of some extensions working. The next couple days should be interesting.

#20 hagjohn

hagjohn

Neowinian Senior

• 2,061 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 1020 8.1

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:42

It's the first release of the "new" Opera. I'm sure most of the features will come back into the browser. I like the simplicity of it though. It's pretty quick too at rendering.

I didn't see a x64 version.

#21 Jub Fequois

Jub Fequois

Owlblood

• 934 posts
  • Phone: iPhone

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:42

Ah, I've been waiting to try this out. It works very well for me so far. I mean, obviously it's quite bare-bones considering the early stage of development, but I quite like it already. :D I haven't been on Opera full-time since the version 9 days, but this will make me switch back.

#22 Yogurth

Yogurth

Neowinian

• 519 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:07

I'm rather disappointed, but will hold my review for the final release. Too many things have been removed, and some completely useless(discovery...just like in android version) items were introduced. This simply looks, feels and works like Chrome, which isn't a praise from my point of view. I hope that Opera will listen to it's customer base for further development of Opera 15, since almost no one of long time users seems to be satisfied with Opera's direction.

#23 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• 10,834 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 14:48

Oh noes, a complete rewrite of opera doesn't have all of its features yet, people are really jumping the gun here bitching about the first alpha release.

#24 OP +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,326 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 28 May 2013 - 16:31

Now that I got it to work on my private laptop: A comparison screenshot of Chropera and Chrome.

Posted Image

#25 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

• 12,156 posts
  • Phone: I need a new one. Gibe moni plos

Posted 28 May 2013 - 16:58

Going by the complaints in the blog post comments they axed a lot of features Opera users liked. RSS, M2 mail client, (...)

Posted Image

Bad ****ing move, Opera.

#26 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• 10,834 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 17:36

Did they specifically say that they are axing rss, or is it just something thats missing in the alpha? afiak the only thing they confirmed was that m2 is being moved into a separate client, and from what I can see other features are things that may potentially be implemented in the future, since by definition alphas are not feature complete, this is more like a technology preview.

Unless someone at opera said that they won't be including any of these features, then people saying they are being "axed" are basically spreading FUD. Opera is basically being totally re-written, it may be a while before it gets close to feature parity with the old version (and maybe it never will and they will "axe" all these features, but judging this on an initial alpha release is quite premature.)

#27 Damien R.

Damien R.

XXIX

• 120,128 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:17

Whoa I love it!, I might switch to it for now to see how it goes. I love the Stash idea though

#28 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• 5,700 posts
  • Phone: Apple iPhone 4S

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:32

The mail client, as shown in the OP, is now a separate application.

Also, when you drag the window, the drop shadow in tabs moves like a motion trail almost. Pretty cool!

#29 x-byte

x-byte

Neowinian

• 4,154 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:00

Did they specifically say that they are axing rss, or is it just something thats missing in the alpha? afiak the only thing they confirmed was that m2 is being moved into a separate client, and from what I can see other features are things that may potentially be implemented in the future, since by definition alphas are not feature complete, this is more like a technology preview.

Unless someone at opera said that they won't be including any of these features, then people saying they are being "axed" are basically spreading FUD. Opera is basically being totally re-written, it may be a while before it gets close to feature parity with the old version (and maybe it never will and they will "axe" all these features, but judging this on an initial alpha release is quite premature.)

Very true. Reading the blog comments is both funny and sad.

Features will probably not appear until beta.

#30 iron2000

iron2000

Mecha-mad

• 2,006 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:27

Whoa I love it!, I might switch to it for now to see how it goes. I love the Stash idea though

The Stash idea reminds me of those read-it-later apps like Pocket.