florida voicemail tips youtube video terminated

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,015 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 15:21

Papa John's Chairman and CEO John Schnatter apologized to a customer in Sanford, Florida, for a racist rant a Papa John's delivery man inadvertently left on the customer's voicemail.

After he delivered a pizza to the Sanford customer and his wife Sunday evening, the delivery man "butt dialed" the customer and left a voicemail message laden with racial slurs as he complained about his tip.

The customer posted a video on YouTube in which he showed the pizza delivery receipt, explaining he and his wife tipped 21 percent, "as usual."

In the voicemail message, which lasts about four minutes, the Papa John's employee complains to another Papa John's employee about the $5 tip and uses the N-word and other racial expletives, which he also incorporated into a song about the customer.

"I guess that's the only requirement for being a [insert N-word] in Sanford," a city still reeling from racial tensions after the shooting of Trayvon Martin last year.

"Yeah, they give me five bucks there -- fine outstanding African-American gentleman of the community," the delivery man can be heard saying in the call.

His fellow co-worker laughed in response.

Schnatter posted an apology on Papa John's Facebook page on Monday afternoon.

"Friends, I am extremely concerned to learn about the reprehensible language used by two former employees in one of our restaurants," the Facebook post stated. "Their thinking and actions defy both my personal and the company's values, and everything for which this company stands."

Schnatter said the employees "responsible for this absolutely unacceptable behavior were immediately terminated."

"My heartfelt apology goes out to the customer involved, his family and our community at large. I am very sorry that anyone would be exposed to these hurtful and painful words by any person involved in any way with our company," Schnatter said.

more

#2 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

• 2,835 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 16:02

21% is a pretty standard tip these days, this guy shouldn't be so damn greedy, and he especially shouldn't be making comments like that about customers.

Good to hear he was fired though, now he gets no tips.

#3 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,864 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 28 May 2013 - 16:12

If you order a pizza that is 16 bucks and add a $5 top.. see nothing wrong with that. 21% would only be 3.36.. but still they complain about it around here too..

A while back, when I was in middle school and my mom ordered me a pizza and tipped the dude $5, he told me that I need to tell my mom she needs to learn to tip better.. I told him that I tipped his mom the same last night.. and DAMN he got mad lol.. but there was no reason calling my mom out like that.. What a POS. If you don't like how much you are getting paid, find another job.

PS: What a dumbass for not locking his phone.. butt dialing is SOoOOOOoOooOoo 2008

#4 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,758 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 16:20

In the UK a 21% tip would be VERY generous. Heck, even the most pretentious places only ask for 12.5%.

When it comes to pizza delivery - I just round up and give whatever it is in notes. If the order is £19 I give £20. If it's £21 I give £25.

But I think us Brits just hate the idea of tipping.

#5 Auditor

Auditor

Neowinian

• 1,116 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 16:25

What a moron. How much tip does he wants. For a $16 pizza do you want people to tip you $20. Go get another job looser. Oh well, I guess now he has to. I think this whole tip thing is totally ridiculous. Companies should abolish this tipping policy and pay fair wages to their employees and charge shipping and handling fee for customers who want their orders to be delivered. So there is no surprise for anyone.

#6 Kreuger

Kreuger

Neowin's Local Grouch

• 5,865 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 16:27

Man people are lucky to get two dollars from me.

#7 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,943 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 May 2013 - 16:33

I tip generally in the 20% range also. The guy just made $5 in less than 5 mins which some people take about 45mins to make (minimum wage jobs). If you don't like your paycheck then take that up with your boss buddy, not me.

#8 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,015 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 16:35

I find delivery people whining about tips, disgusting.

Tips are a nice little extra to get, but drivers shouldn't act like they are entitled, and demand tips.

This is probably why I go pick up my own pizza, in the rare event I order out.

#9 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

• 12,219 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 16:43

As an European I don't get
  • the racist stuff
  • the survival-by-tips stuff

#10 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,996 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 17:02

In the UK the process of using tips to supplement wages has been outlawed, as a result delivery drivers get fair wages and very few people tip.

Doesn't excuse the guy's behaviour though. Glad he rightly paid with his job.

#11 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,608 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 17:16

In the UK a 21% tip would be VERY generous. Heck, even the most pretentious places only ask for 12.5%.

When it comes to pizza delivery - I just round up and give whatever it is in notes. If the order is £19 I give £20. If it's £21 I give £25.

But I think us Brits just hate the idea of tipping.

I order on-line and pay the exact amount. I'm not tipping someone just because they brought me food.

#12 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,995 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 17:20

I generally stick to 10%. If service isn't great it gets lower. If it's bad the tip disappears.

#13 DaveLegg

DaveLegg

Coderator at heart

• 7,709 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 17:22

I order on-line and pay the exact amount. I'm not tipping someone just because they brought me food.

Ditto. I work in a couple of bars in my spare time - very rarely get tips (usually it's just Americans that do), and when I do get them, they go straight into a charity pot on the bar

#14 Skwerl

Skwerl

Neowinian Ancient

• 1,778 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920 (Yellow)

Posted 28 May 2013 - 17:32

Wow, I was told long ago that the appropriate tip for pizza delivery was a buck per pizza. I feel kind of embarrassed, now. That said, I wonder if 20% is really as appropriate for a driver who has ten seconds of interaction with you versus a waiter/waitress who fills your drinks, talks to you, serves you, et cetera.

#15 The Laughing Man

The Laughing Man

Neowinian Senior

• 2,964 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 17:45

Call me an ass, but I always check the pizza before I had over payment, too many times have they pizza's been wrong,smashed up,stone cold after the guy leaves.