Motorola Mobility Upcoming Hero Device. Built in US

Motorola has a new device coming out, which it thinks will change the game. In a discussion at the D11 Conference, Motorola Mobility CEO Dennis Woodside said the new mobile phone, called the Moto X, will be built in the United States in a factory outside Fort Worth. The facility that the new Moto X will be built in was once used to build Nokia phones.

The new Moto phone, which is expected to have strong battery life, will also have a number of sensors and such that will provide the phone with new ways of interacting with users, such as telling them if they?re traveling faster than 60 miles an hour. A hypothetical application for the sensors, Woodside said, could be preventing you from texting while driving.

While Motorola has a long history of mobile innovation, Woodside acknowledged that the company has a way to go to bring the company back to its former glory. And so it?s looking to hire a number of new employees from other major manufacturers to build a new generation of mobile phones.

?We like to be the challenger,? Woodside said. ?So we?re filling the company with people who want to transform the company into a winner.?

Motorola Mobility is owned by Google, but Woodside said that the company has no preferential treatment from its parent corp. When employees move over from Google to Motorola, they get new badges and are no longer part of the mothership. And while Woodside said Google CEO Larry Page has seen the upcoming Moto X device, he?s also seen new devices from many of Motorola Mobility?s competitors.

http://techcrunch.co...ilt-in-the-u-s/

UPDATE

At D, Motorola CEO Dennis Woodside has just confirmed that the company is working on a flagship phone, and that it is indeed called the Moto X. The phone will be made in the US, it will have an OLED screen, and Woodside has said that "we know when it's in your pocket, we know when it's in your hand, it's going to know when you want to take a picture and fire up the cameras." It'll know when you're in the car, for instance, and promotes different interactions.

It's going to be built in Texas, in a 480,000-square-foot facility previously used to manufacture Nokia phones. Woodside says Moto X will be the first smartphone built in the United States, and was clearly proud of that fact. Some components will come from the US, too, though portions will come from Taiwan, Korea, and elsewhere. The phone is explicitly designed to compete with the iPhone and the Galaxy lineup, though Woodside did say that one of of the areas Motorola sees as promising is in high-quality, low-cost devices.

Details are still relatively scarce, though Woodside did cite breakability and battery life as two of the things Larry Page is most focused on, which dovetails nicely with what we've heard before about Motorola's plans. Motorola's also apparently working with a number of different carriers, and Woodside said "the response has been great." The phone's coming by October, along with "a handful" of other devices.

Woodside has the phone in his pocket on stage at the conference, but wouldn't show it to Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher during their interview. Android head Sundar Pichai has seen it, apparently, but Woodside adamantly claimed that Motorola is treated no differently than any other Android partner. "We're hiring out of Google," he said, "but once you come to Motorola you give up your Google badge. It really is separate."

Maybe the X phone can finally answer the big question: why did Google buy Motorola?

Update: Motorola has now issued a press release touting the Moto X. Along with being "designed, engineered, and assembled" in the US, the release reveals that the phone will actually be available this summer.

http://www.theverge....dennis-woodside

Sounds good, just be sure to give me:

1) Stock android

2) GOOD battery life

3) (Maybe) removable SD Card slot

Yea, those are all good...and hopefully battery life is improved. I posted an update that gave more info. Hopefully they will detail more of the phone soon.

Also happy that it is assembled in the US.

I have a Motorola Atrix. It is an awesome phone, was top of the line when released. However within 6 months moto stopped supporting it. As one of the first dual core tegra phones it is still quite powerful and more than capable of running Jelly Bean. However moto stopped after GB was released.

Moto did start working on ICS for it but decided against it and instead focussed on phones that came out a few months after the Atrix. While Moto abandonned the phone they also made it very difficult for anyone to develop anything higher than GB without only having Software accelerated Android. Granted a bunch of devs are working to port the 3.1.10 to the atrix (and actually have a fully working, booting, with HWA) kernel. However it would have been nice for moto to provide that/stand behind the phone.

My only fear with Moto (if I get another moto device) is that it will be a repeat. I will get their top of the line brand new phone and have it be abandonded 6 months from purchase.

My only fear with Moto (if I get another moto device) is that it will be a repeat. I will get their top of the line brand new phone and have it be abandonded 6 months from purchase.

Well, since it is vanilla OS, and a Google company...lets hope this wont happen :)