Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

jpg file open in system?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

[color=#000000][font=Arial,]I run windows 7, and i was opening a jpg file i downloaded from the web. I opened the file with windows image viewer, closed it and when i tried to delete it it told me i couldnt do that because the file was still open in System. I tried again and got the same response. After a few tries, maybe like 5-10 sec, it deleted as normally. I then remade the file and it deleted fine with no error. [/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial,]But now im a little worried, that it might have been open in System because it was installing some virus or trojan? or am i just being paranoid and it was just slow to close? I have never seen this before. Although i also panicked a little when the same thing happened with an avi file, where it said something about server not responding. I know now that that was nothing to worry about, but is this?[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial,]I have researched it a bit, and the only thing i have found is ISO files getting this error because they are mounted, but nothing for simple jpgs.[/font][/color]

Posted

If in doubt, run your anti virus. ;)

I wouldn't worry about it, personally. Sometimes these things just happen.

Posted

Windows may have been using it to generate a thumbnail or something.
1 person likes this

Posted

I of course scanned my entire system with avg free and it found nothing, i also scanned the file before opening it and it found nothing, but no antivirus is perfect.
But it is just me being paranoid? good to hear, thanks =)

Posted

I don't think you have anything to worry about, I think James's explanation is most likely, it happens to me quite a bit but then I do have a lot of pictures in all kinds of formats on my hard drives.
Most of the time it happens I just wait till windows is done doing whatever it was with the file, then I can modify/delete as usual
On a side note, if you're worried about AVG, might I recommend getting the malwaye byes free scanner to supplement your current AV?

Posted

Thanks Dushmany i did a new full scan with avg that found nothing, and then a scan with malwarebyte that found 2 trojan.fakealert and 1 adware clickpotato. I read about the fakealert one and the alerts it should give to trick you into buying something i have never gotten so i am guessing it wasnt working, but it has now been removed. The adware has been removed aswell, and i am now confident that my pc is clean. thanks for the advice malwarebyte seems to be a great program =)

Posted

This is going a little off topic, but is still relevant to you anyway manonmo. AVG's anti-virus programs have gone down in ratings dramatically since it's last update, and most don't suggest that you use it any more. I'd recommend using Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast. But, again, it's only a suggestion.