Gmail 4.5 for Android starts rolling out

Gmail 4.5 for Android rolling out today with multiple tabs, slide-out navigation

gmailandroid1.png

Gmail's desktop inbox just went through some pretty significant UI changes, and we've just been waiting for Google to update its mobile apps with many of the same elements. The Android app, which Android Police reports is beginning its rollout today, reflects the new multiple-tabbed interface we've had the opportunity to play with for the last week -- it offers the same five tabs that are found on the desktop version, in addition to a new slide-out navigation interface. We're still waiting to get official word from Google about the update, but we'll let you know as soon as we have it. In the meantime, if you feel daring enough to try the new APK, head below to the source link to find a selection of available mirrors.

Source: Engadget

Download links: Android Police

very nice looking, i will have to check it out on my tablet when i get home. see if it looks any better on that.

Thanks for the heads up!

Just downloaded it. Looks nice and the menu works well, however I'm not seeing the tabs yet, still only the folder names. Saying that.... My Gmail account hasn't moved over yet so that's probably why!

Somebody needs to talk to the Google Chrome Mobile team and get their ass in gear with this swipe menu function they've moved over to every other of their app now! Also, don't want to divert the topic or anything, but Chrome is laggy as f*** on any other phone but a nexus IMO. :/. Shame the default browser is still much better. 4.2.1. Might just try a different ROM (new unfinished version of ROM I already have now)...

I have a Google Nexus and don't see it in the Play store.

Don't have the update yet. Looks really cool and I hope to get it soon.

no need to hope... link to download the apk is in the OP

It's different, as long as it auto-catalogues correctly, it's not so bad, still prefer to see regular inbox however.

(Update) Not a fan so far, I don't like how it's breaking up the messages, I want to see a combined of at least two groups, but I have to toggle.

Uninstalled Update, reset back to stock on phone.

It's definitely... uhh.... more colorful now? I really just use my phone to read emails. I don't write or do much organization on it, I just wait to get to a computer for that.

It's different, as long as it auto-catalogues correctly, it's not so bad, still prefer to see regular inbox however.

(Update) Not a fan so far, I don't like how it's breaking up the messages, I want to see a combined of at least two groups, but I have to toggle.

Uninstalled Update, reset back to stock on phone.

You can turn off the sorting in Settings > USERNAME > Inbox type & change to Default Inbox. It still will have the funky colored letters to tag them unless the sender has a Google+ avatar. Also, you can make backups of apps before updating them. Don't like the update? Uninstall, reinstall backup & turn off auto updating in the Play Store.or unlink it from the Play Store altogether.

I like it :) Keeps my inbox less cluttered. The App looks nice too, I think with this and the new play store, Android 5.0 is going to be rather colourful :D

You can turn off the sorting in Settings > USERNAME > Inbox type & change to Default Inbox. It still will have the funky colored letters to tag them unless the sender has a Google+ avatar. Also, you can make backups of apps before updating them. Don't like the update? Uninstall, reinstall backup & turn off auto updating in the Play Store.or unlink it from the Play Store altogether.

You can turn off the "funky colored letters" as well, Settings -> General Settings -> Sender Image (uncheck it)